PDA

View Full Version : Special Operations Combative Program

WarriorDiplomat
07-04-2010, 17:23
Anyone here ever do this program, The program plays off of the Rg 19 since the same guy developed this along with a B/2/3 guy. Great program Greg Thompson is one of the true humble guys teaching H2H a true practitioner of Sun Tszu philosophy which we need more of in our community. And Carl really understands what is required too bad it came along so late in the war. It really addresses DA missions which we have done alot of during GWOT. It does not address MLE or FID scenarios but it is really on the right track as far as mission focus combative training and preparation.

I am a level 4 in the the MACP system and if I had not had an extensive background in combat sports and fighting in general going back to the 70's as a kid I may be as easily misdirected as many are. I love MMA I still prefer a good boxing match but MMA is always entertaining and has shown Martial Arts the way forward by defining the more reality based battle tested fighting arts effectiveness mano y mano. The problem we had with the other system is that soldiers could not bridge the gap of sport vs kill or be killed combatives. I would run training and take opportunities to emphasize the difference always a caveating of the reminder we are soldiers first. What I would see in the gym is these soldiers training for prolonged grappling matches or MMA training not applied to a realistic combat scenario.

Don't think I am against standard Combatives in fact I love them let me say that there are alot of guys who understand the difference and adapt the fighting into a CQC scenario as it should be. They take what they have learned and apply it as they should and what was intended. SOCP builds on what is taught in MACP and defines it into a CQC environment where there is no doubt that it is about kill or be killed with the current political trend accounting for an escalation force which is factored into the training.

Any thoughts on those who have done it.?

Boomer-61
07-09-2010, 07:24
Pardon my ignorance but with all the acronyms, I'm not certain what you're concerns are. It's been several days since your post so maybe I'm not the only one that is confused. Are you most interested in a training system, a training technique within a system, a fitness system, or a philosophy of fighting?

jbour13
07-09-2010, 09:40
I assume he is asking for feedback on the course itself with his observations posted as well.

Is there an acronym that you cannot understand? I'm sure we can shed light on some, or not at all on others.

Not the most grammatically correct post, but I read it as a simple information exchange.

FWIW

WD, I was offered the course recently, but due to obligations at work I cannot attend. I will seek the opportunity to do it when I have more free time.

SFC B

Boomer-61
07-09-2010, 12:49
jbour13,

Thank you for that clairfication. I have some experience with some systems but none that I can recognize from the post. I thought there might be some aspect of the training within the system I could possibly comment on. Guess not. As for the acronyms, I'd need a glossary to get caught up, thank you though. We'll see what WD has to add when he chimes in. I'll go crawl back over to my AO now.

greenberetTFS
07-09-2010, 13:12
jbour13,

Thank you for that clairfication. I have some experience with some systems but none that I can recognize from the post. I thought there might be some aspect of the training within the system I could possibly comment on. Guess not. As for the acronyms, I'd need a glossary to get caught up, thank you though. We'll see what WD has to add when he chimes in. I'll go crawl back over to my AO now.

ACRONYMS,How these guys love to use them,good thing for me I've got a good source on this forum to help me...............;)

Big Teddy :munchin

JimP
07-09-2010, 20:21
Greg and Spencer are top notch guys. Good to train with and not at all into ego. Not sure the program you mentioned since I haven't trained with them in a few years - good luck.

mcarey
07-10-2010, 08:26
Here is link - http://www.ussocp.com/

We have done some SOCP-D's for the program.

http://spartanbladesusa.com/cart/socpd-cqb-transition-tool-p-78.html

7624U
07-10-2010, 09:04
Anyone here ever do this program, The program plays off of the Rg 19 since the same guy developed this along with a B/2/3 guy.

Any thoughts on those who have done it.?

The B/2/3 guy is in C/1/10 now on my team.

We fight 1-2 times a week. its a good refresher on range 37's program with a few new things added in we never learned. We just talk about what we want to do Informal with Tim and he trains us on that subject.

7624U
07-10-2010, 09:11
We have done some SOCP-D's for the program.

http://spartanbladesusa.com/cart/socpd-cqb-transition-tool-p-78.html[/QUOTE]

I like that knife I might have to order one the brown color blends into Kit so well you don't see it untill its pulled out.

WarriorDiplomat
07-10-2010, 21:15
jbour13,

Sorry about the confusion

DA, FID, MLE Special Forces Mission types
MACP -Modern Army Combatives Program
SOCP -Special Operations Combative Program

I got carried away with acronyms it makes typing faster, I forget how fast they change and how long some on here may not know any of them.

Razor
07-14-2010, 12:14
I got carried away with acronyms it makes typing faster, I forget how fast they change and how long some on here may not know any of them.

Don't sweat it, brother; some folks are apparently "google-challenged" when it comes to being informationally self-sufficient (and have a hard time reading profiles, too).

Boomer-61
07-18-2010, 13:12
I appreciate your taking the time to spell things out for me. I need to find Big Teddy's source. Google-challenged indeed.

mcarey
07-19-2010, 07:06
I like that knife I might have to order one the brown color blends into Kit so well you don't see it untill its pulled out.

That was the idea - It lashes behind pouches and only the ring shows.

BrianH
12-06-2010, 22:52
SOC-P is fantastic. I got Level I qualified at ANCOC and I was totally impressed. I was always unimpressed with MAC-P and other courses that tended to focus less on useful tactics and more on either esoteric grappling or absurd "ditties" that are too complex to work... especially with kit.

The fact that all the moves are geared towards getting to a secondary weapon as quickly as possible, combined with its foundation in Muay Thai and BJJ, make it a winner.

PinelandVet66
12-15-2010, 13:42
I went through the same program at ANCOC and enjoyed it as well. I most enjoyed that it was geared towards hand to hand in kit, fighting to get to your "tools", rather than just rolling around slick.

Jgood
12-15-2010, 14:53
We did some in SUT(made room clearing a little more intresting) and the Bravo course and rolling around in Kit sucks balls... Liked it alot more then the MAC-P stuff for the same reasons mentioned above.

would love to get certified at some point.

cowboykpy
11-15-2011, 23:01
Can anyone who's been through ANCOC/SLC confirm if this is still being taught during that course?

11Ber
11-17-2011, 12:00
Got a teammate in it right now and can most definitely confirm they are sparring of some sort. He had to be removed off of someone who took it a bit too hard and he responded in kind. :lifter