PDA

View Full Version : Dan Pitzer SERE prototype knife

orko
07-04-2010, 14:18
this knife is comes with an interesting story. Its the prototype for the Dan Pitzer SERE knife. the Knife was designed and manufactured by Bill Manyard. Bill has been making knives in the Fort Bragg area for several years before an issued knife was any more than a dream. Although he is now in his late 70s, I believe he still takes orders. Among other things Bill is credited to be the founding member of the North Carolina custom Knife makers Guild.

The Dan Pitzer SERE knife was a project of his that Never reached its full potential. Origionally Bill planned on Making around 750 of these knives with etched SF crests, certificate of authenticity, and serial numbers. I am unsure at this time of the final number he finished , but it was no where near the projected number, maybe 100. Anyhow this one is the first.

The man the knife was designed for was CSM Dan Pitzer. As Bill states, "he was a friend many and was a good friend of his". Pitzer was a Vietnam POW captured along with Nick Rowe. More on the surrounding events can be found here:

http://www.pownetwork.org/bios/p/p109.htm

I have collected a couple old flyers Bill had printed up to promote the knife many years ago. the flyers have a short Bio listed for Dan Pitzer along with information about the knife. I also have a Photograph of Bill Maynard holding the knife along with a note he penned for me basically stating it is in fact the prototype. lastly, a scrap piece of 440C he practiced the SF etching on. I will include these items in the sale.

I believe it would make a nice addition to any knife collection. Or Frame up real nice in a shadow box. the Blade is 440C, hardened to 58/59 RC, bead blasted, and with black linen micarta handles. The sheath also complements the knife handcrafted and stiched by hand. the knife was also featured in the January '94 issue of Fighting Knives Magazine,
Asking $450

Papa Zero Three
07-05-2010, 07:31
I want to say that one of Manyard's knives is also hanging on the wall in a picture frame in the USASFC command conference room with a POW theme print above it. Can't recall if it's that exact same knife or not but it does look very similar.

rdret1
07-05-2010, 09:46
Nice looking knife. Two of my favorite possessions are my copy of Five Years to Freedom, signed by Col. Rowe; and my SERE graduation certificate, signed by Dan Pitzer. That knife would make an excellent addition.

orko
07-22-2010, 22:28
Willing to do $400

Eagle5US
07-30-2010, 19:33
Nice looking knife. Two of my favorite possessions are my copy of Five Years to Freedom, signed by Col. Rowe; and my SERE graduation certificate, signed by Dan Pitzer. That knife would make an excellent addition.
Holy Smokes...what a treasure.
I ahd a letter of acceptance to 1st GP signed by him and SGM Joplin when he was scheduled to be the incoming Commander before his assassination. I donated it back to his estate on news of his death.

Very friggin cool.

Eagle

cszakolczai
08-06-2010, 22:22
I still think it needs to be displayed :) right next to the V-42

orko
08-06-2010, 22:45
I still think it needs to be displayed :) right next to the V-42

well if it doesnt sell mabe I'll send it your way for framing. I can see it now... nice shadow box, mabe some barbed wire in there?

cszakolczai
08-18-2010, 12:26
well if it doesnt sell mabe I'll send it your way for framing. I can see it now... nice shadow box, mabe some barbed wire in there?

barbed wire would be cool :D

orko
08-27-2010, 01:37
Sold pending funds to a relative of SGM Pitzer.

Also, a congratulations is due to the surviving Pitzer Family who just recieved notification that SGM Pitzer will be inducted in the Special Forces Hall of Fame next month.

fng13
10-06-2010, 15:53
Did this sale go through?

My boss is Dan Pitzer's cousin and he just told me today he was looking for one of these knives to give to his son Danny (named after Pitzer).

Sadly he was unable to attend the ceremony but he was immensely proud to tell me everything Mr. Pitzer had told him about his experiences and how proud he was of Mr. Pitzer.

Does anyone have a line on another one of these if it was sold?

Thanks.

wet dog
10-06-2010, 17:21
barbed wire would be cool :D

That would be very cool!!!!

I saw a plaque made for a retiring, (second retirement, age, contract civilian), SERE Instructor, who had lived 18 months under VC control.

Col (LTC) Rowe presented. It was a Army issue Jungle boot with a knife stabbed down straight thru the boot into the base, just below the laces, a top the foot. Around the knife handle and boot was barbed wire, (Vietnamese barbed wire, handmade), a pair of dog tags with name and retirement date stamp.

The plaque base was Thai teak wood, the entire boot painted flat black, the knife was parkerized flat black, the wire and DogTags, crome.

I say go with the wire, nice touch!

Wet Dog

The Reaper
10-06-2010, 18:21
I was just in the Pitzer Conference Room today and saw one of the knives in a shadow box there. Very nice!

TR

Papa Zero Three
10-06-2010, 21:18
I was just in the Pitzer Conference Room today and saw one of the knives in a shadow box there. Very nice!

TR

Thats the knife I was referring to earlier in the thread. It is indeed a nice piece.

DinDinA-2
10-06-2010, 22:06
Is this the same Dan Pitzer that would have been a MSG at Ft Bragg in 1969 or 70? As I remember, when I met him, is was involved in club management. I recall hearing he was a POW. Sold him a .32 S&W wheel gun. Very nice individual.

cszakolczai
10-07-2010, 07:04
That would be very cool!!!!

I saw a plaque made for a retiring, (second retirement, age, contract civilian), SERE Instructor, who had lived 18 months under VC control.

Col (LTC) Rowe presented. It was a Army issue Jungle boot with a knife stabbed down straight thru the boot into the base, just below the laces, a top the foot. Around the knife handle and boot was barbed wire, (Vietnamese barbed wire, handmade), a pair of dog tags with name and retirement date stamp.

The plaque base was Thai teak wood, the entire boot painted flat black, the knife was parkerized flat black, the wire and DogTags, crome.

I say go with the wire, nice touch!

Wet Dog

That is really really cool! Thanks for the idea, I might have to use some of those ideas when I look into displaying a couple of blades.

I really want to figure out a way to use some of those ideas (barbed wire) for my beret stands. I know when I made the beret stand for Mr. Falkel I used some pins of a silver star and a small engraving, but barbed wire would be really neat as well.

This is what I was referring to... I think barbed wire would add a cool touch to it.

Sorry to threadjack Orko. And to answer the persons question who asked, I think the transaction went through the last time I spoke with Orko.

Chris