PDA

View Full Version : For a Friend

ABNinRI
07-01-2010, 13:30
Hello Everyone,

A very good friend and work associate (different agencies, same mission) of mine had a father that was in SF, and also worked for the agency he (the son, my friend) works for now. The father was in great shape, and from what I gather was great in both of his career fields. Unfortunately, and without warning, he died of a massive heart attack when my friend was in his teens.

My friend knew very little of his dad's Army life, nevermind that of his role in the SF. I am looking for some contacts that may have trained, fought, and partied with his old man. I know for a fact it would mean a great deal to him.

I don't have any solid evidence as to what Group he was with, but if I had to guess, it would have been either 19th or 20th, at least for the latter part of his career.

If anyone has any information as to how I can put this together, I would appreciate the help. I have conducted a forum search on his last name, but it ended in zero results. I also tried the almighty google, again with no help.

I appreciate your assistance.

Dum Vigilo Curo

JJ_BPK
07-01-2010, 18:37
Hello Everyone,

A very good friend ....

Have your friend file a request for records on Form 180. As the NoK he should get his dad's DD-214 and any other records they may have.

http://www.archives.gov/research/order/standard-form-180.pdf fixed..

After he receives the records, he may be able to be more detailed as to dates & units he served in.

Then he can try to contact the units historian and/or personaly maintained web sites.

Good Luck..

ABNinRI
07-01-2010, 22:33
Rec'vd, thanks.

Peace Frog
07-04-2010, 09:39
Not to hijack,just a story of how great this website is.And to follow up on any info these QP's here give.

I have a few pictures of my father in Vietnam and a award citing his unit.I couldn't find anything to lead me to anybody who knew my father on my own.I PM'ed a QP here user name Richard (sorry Richard,hope its ok to mention that) and he sent me several links which in short time led me to a retired LTC who served with my father.Never would have found this on my own.
I owe a lot to Richard for that info,it really was a great moment when his info turned up a friend of my fathers.
Thank you for this great website!

Team Sergeant
07-05-2010, 13:30
Hello Everyone,

A very good friend and work associate (different agencies, same mission) of mine had a father that was in SF, and also worked for the agency he (the son, my friend) works for now. The father was in great shape, and from what I gather was great in both of his career fields. Unfortunately, and without warning, he died of a massive heart attack when my friend was in his teens.

My friend knew very little of his dad's Army life, nevermind that of his role in the SF. I am looking for some contacts that may have trained, fought, and partied with his old man. I know for a fact it would mean a great deal to him.

I don't have any solid evidence as to what Group he was with, but if I had to guess, it would have been either 19th or 20th, at least for the latter part of his career.

If anyone has any information as to how I can put this together, I would appreciate the help. I have conducted a forum search on his last name, but it ended in zero results. I also tried the almighty google, again with no help.

I appreciate your assistance.

Dum Vigilo Curo

There's a website set up for just this purpose, obtaining military service records. Very easy to do if you're "next of kin".

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/get-service-records.html

If the individual was SF you can go here and ask about him also:
http://www.specialforcesassociation.org/forums/

I'd send the SFA an email and ask about the individual, some there may know of him.