PDA

View Full Version : Interesting to say the least...

AngelsSix
01-31-2004, 22:09
I am wondering, can someone develope an allergic reation to water??? The last couple of weeks I have been breaking out in hives, which start on my feet and gradually work their way up. My feet get real red and itch like crazy while in the shower and it doesn't go away afterwards. Then I get these hives (very itchy welts) going up my legs and torso. There have been several days that I am fine once I get out of the shower,(except for my feet) but by lunchtime I am itching like crazy (head, torso, legs...always a different area). Benedryl alleves the syptoms. But I can't just keep taking Benedryl every day. I switched to Tide Free detergent and fabric softener sheets, switched soap, shampoo, and conditioner. I am at a loss to figure out what is causing this. Any ideas?? I have never had any allergies before. Oh, one last thing before I forget...not sure if this is related. I get this "lump" in my chest, feels like I have something stuck right in the center of my chest. Antacids have no effect. I only get it when I start itching. Weird sh*t, to say the least.

NousDefionsDoc
01-31-2004, 22:45
Not the water per se, but maybe something they put in it.

How hot is the water when you shower? Does the water smell different than it did before?

Are you using something different to clean the shower/tub?

Call your supplier and find out if they've changed the treatment protocols since you started ahving the problem.

See if the building super or whoever has done anything different.

Ttry showering somewhere else to see if it still happens.

Try bathing with bottled water to see if it still happens.

You can also try having a sample of the water tested.

The Reaper
01-31-2004, 23:08
May be a stupid question, but are you also drinking the water/using ice?

TR

NousDefionsDoc
01-31-2004, 23:09
Not a stupid question at all - I should have thought of it.

Eagle5US
02-01-2004, 00:33
are goofy...idiopathic urticaria (itchy reactions that we don't know where they came from or why) are especially difficult.

In very few cases are soaps or detergents the culprit. Many times humans have chemical releases of histamine to factors that are just unknown to us.

I would suggest that you first begin a diary. Once you begin having symptoms, track them and their severity along with any meds you take and the time between dosing and viable change in your condition.
From the onset of your symptoms, backwards plan your day for about 6 hours, then scoot all the way back to 18 hours. The histamine cycle is "bi phasic", meaning that after the primary reaction is over with, there is a secondary "wave" in 16-20 hours. Most people are on suppressives by this point or the meds they previously took have a half life that is LONGER than the cycle.
Compare your event diaries for any similarities, common foods, times during your monthly cycle as they coorellate to severity, particular habits you may have, any medications you are currently taking...to include if you have recently switched from generic to brand name or vice versa. Often times the difference between the two is the preservative or "Dye color number"

Hot showers will increase the reactivity of histamine release, while some people are dermatographic with an ice cube (I could give a guy at Know hives in a tic tac toe pattern by drawing it with an ice cube on his back) Benedry is the common and well known choice, there are many others that are available without such drowsy side effects. Talk to your family doctor about these options (even H2 blockers such as Zantac). Though this gives few answers...perhaps it wil give you a couple more options.

Though taking meds for the rest of your life is unattractive at this point, but I would consider it the lesser of the two evils as compared to the urticaria. ...my sincere best to you, and good luck!!!

The Eagle

brownapple
02-01-2004, 04:39
Might also disassemble the showerhead. Mine grows fungus after a while (of course, I am in the tropics), so I have to disassemble it and clean it.

Polar Bear
02-01-2004, 08:40
Originally posted by Greenhat
Might also disassemble the showerhead. Mine grows fungus after a while (of course, I am in the tropics), so I have to disassemble it and clean it.

GH,
I have to do it once a month also or I get some crazy mold and I start sneezing my brains out. At first I thought I was allergic to my shampoo, but I did what Eagle had suggested and figured out the mold was coming from the shower head because I sneezed the most right as I got out of the shower. If I clean it once a month no problems.

AngelsSix
02-01-2004, 09:44
We filter the water we drink or drink bottled water here. Funny thing is, I started having these weird reactions while I was in TX. They have been getting progressively worse. I am going to have to go to a doctor.
The thing about the mold and such has me thinking. I see this pink crap in the shower after a while, must be some kind of mold that is prevelant here. And I do like hot showers. But not that hot. Since you mentioned the cleaning stuff in the shower......I may try using something else to clean with. I typically don't walk around the house barefoot, but in socks. We do use carpet powder in the carpets, maybe that has something to do with it, who knows.
I am going to take a look at the shower heads and ask the folks at Lowe's if there is a filter that can keep the mildew/mold from building up in out water system.
I'll let you know what comes up. Thanks

CPTAUSRET
02-03-2004, 16:05
Interesting thread:

Terry

AngelsSix
02-10-2004, 11:12
Well, nothing has come of this as to what specifically is causing the hives. So I am going to the doctor on Friday to find a definitive cause. Looks like I will be getting some allergy testing done. It may very well be the only thing I cannot avoid: my pets. Although I have had pets all my life, I guess maybe I am developing allergies. Who the heck knows. I tried everything else I could think of. The only thing I cannot remove/avoid is the pets.

Sacamuelas
02-10-2004, 11:44
Don't forget about the flea/tick meds that you give the pets. It could be something like advantage that is causing this.

Also, don't forget about old pillows. They can be fairly dusty and full of mites if they get wet by you sleeping after a nightly shower.

Anyway, Good luck

AngelsSix
02-11-2004, 00:26
Gracias, I will keep you posted.......this could get interesting!!:)

CPTAUSRET
02-11-2004, 13:44
Originally posted by AngelsSix
Gracias, I will keep you posted.......this could get interesting!!:)

Good luck:

Terry

AngelsSix
02-13-2004, 20:42
Well, went to the doctor today to be told that in order to figure out what was causing the allergy I would need to do a couple of blood tests. $250 a piece. I can't afford that. Guess I will stick to the Benedryl until I can get some cash together to go get the allergy tests done.

NousDefionsDoc
02-13-2004, 20:55
Are you in NC? Go to Duke and volunteer to let a med student run tests on you as part of a research program. Its free.

AngelsSix
02-14-2004, 17:58
Well I'll be..............never thought to ask about that. I am going to ask around. I guess I could get the VA to do it......but I have no love for those folks, it's almost a total waste of my time to go to the VA. I'd be at the bottom of their pile, for sure.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely look into that.