PDA

View Full Version : Traffic stop video on YouTube sparks debate on police use of Md. wiretap laws

lindy
06-28-2010, 16:20
Wow. I gotta move.

I saw this on the Washington Post:

Here (http://blog.washingtonpost.com/story-lab/2010/06/anthony_graber_25_is_facing.html) is the link for the Youtube video.

Traffic stop video on YouTube sparks debate on police use of Md. wiretap laws

By Annys Shin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, June 16, 2010; A01

It started as just another traffic stop.

In early March, Anthony Graber, a 25-year-old staff sergeant for the Maryland Air National Guard, was humming a tune while riding his two-year-old Honda motorcycle down Interstate 95, not far from his home north of Baltimore. On top of his helmet was a camera he often used to record his journeys. The camera was rolling when an unmarked gray sedan cut him off as he stopped behind several other cars along Exit 80.

From the driver's side emerged a man in a gray pullover and jeans. The man, who was wielding a gun, repeatedly yelled at Graber, ordering him to get off his bike. Only then did Maryland State Trooper Joseph D. Uhler identify himself as "state police" and holster his weapon. Graber, who'd been observed popping a wheelie while speeding, was cited for doing 80 in a 65 mph zone. Graber accepted his ticket, which he says he deserved.

A week later, on March 10, Graber posted his video of the encounter on YouTube. What followed wasn't a furor over the police officer's behavior but over Graber's use of a camera to capture the entire episode.

On April 8, Graber was awakened by six officers raiding his parents' home in Abingdon, Md., where he lived with his wife and two young children. He learned later that prosecutors had obtained a grand jury indictment alleging he had violated state wiretap laws by recording the trooper without his consent.

The case has ignited a debate over whether police are twisting a decades-old statute intended to protect people from government intrusions of privacy to, instead, keep residents from recording police activity.

Maryland's wiretap law applies only to audio recordings, so it is just the sound from Graber's video that is at issue legally. Like 11 other states, Maryland requires all parties to consent before a recording might be made if a conversation takes place where there is a "reasonable expectation of privacy." (By contrast, Virginia and the District require one party's consent to a recording.) But is there any expectation of privacy in a police stop? That's where police and civil libertarians differ.

During a 90-minute search of Graber's parents' home, police confiscated four computers, the camera, external hard drives and thumb drives. The police didn't take Graber to jail that day because he had just had gall bladder surgery.

A week later, he turned himself in. "I just wanted to do the right thing," he said in an April interview with Miami journalist Carlos Miller, who runs the blog Photography Is Not a Crime.

It was Graber's first arrest. He spent 26 hours in jail. Graber has since stopped talking publicly about the case on the advice of his attorneys. On June 1, he was arraigned in Harford County Circuit Court in Bel Air. He faces up to 16 years in prison if convicted on all charges.
The YouTube effect

Maryland's wiretap law has been around since the 1970s, before the VHS era, let alone the digital revolution, and did not anticipate the advent of video cameras attached to helmets or embedded in cellphones. Nor did the law anticipate YouTube and the ease with which such videos could be disseminated. Until now, its most famous alleged violator was Monica Lewinsky confidante Linda Tripp -- then a Columbia resident -- who taped her phone conversations with the aide about her relationship with President Bill Clinton. (The case was dismissed.)

But the decades-old wiretap law has suddenly become a fresh battleground for civil libertarians and bloggers who consider Graber's prosecution and a series of similar arrests a case of government overreach.

The frequency of such arrests has picked up with the spread of portable video cameras and the proliferation of videos showing alleged police misconduct on the Web. Miller has documented eight arrests in the past few years, including one of an Oregon man who was arrested for using his cellphone camera to tape police he says were being rough with a friend and a Chicago artist who taped his arrest for selling $1 artwork. "Most of the people getting arrested are not criminals," Miller said. "It is just really a power trip on the side of police."

The attention the Graber case is receiving has surprised Harford prosecutor Joseph I. Cassilly, who said his office has prosecuted similar cases before, including one within the past year against the passenger of a car that was stopped during a drug investigation who started taping officers with a cellphone camera. Cassilly said he didn't know the status of the case because the prosecutor handling it has been out sick.

"The question is: Is a police officer permitted to have a private conversation as part of their duty in responding to calls, or is everything a police officer does subject to being audio recorded?" Cassilly said.

Cassilly thinks officers should be able to consider their on-duty conversations to be private. Other officers share that view and have issued warnings to documentarians. Another video that surfaced on YouTube shows a Baltimore police officer at the Preakness warning a cameraman who was recording several other officers subduing a woman that such recordings are illegal.

State police spokesman Greg Shipley said that Uhler acted appropriately and that the officer never pointed his gun at Graber, putting it away as soon as he saw Graber comply with his commands.

Troopers are told to act as if they are being videorecorded, Shipley said. If they see someone videorecording them, they can ask them to stop but are to take no further action even if the cameraman continues, he said. If they think a private conversation is being illegally recorded, they are to contact the local state's attorney's office and let a prosecutor decide whether a violation occurred.

David Rocah, an attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union of Maryland who is part of Graber's defense team, said on-duty officers have no expectation of privacy while doing their job in public. If police need to talk to an informant, they can have a private conversation, he said. "But when they are public officials performing their duty for everyone to see and hear, that is not a private conversation," Roach said.

State supreme courts in Illinois, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Washington have upheld people's right to record police officers. (Illinois has since made it illegal to record anyone without consent.)
Dashboard videocams

Complicating the issue: Maryland state troopers record traffic stops themselves, using dashboard cameras that were installed in all patrol cars as a result of a 2003 settlement with the state ACLU over racial profiling.

In an August 2000 legal opinion, the state's attorney general wrote that "many encounters between uniformed police officers and citizens could hardly be characterized as 'private conversations' " and that "any driver pulled over by a uniformed officer in a traffic stop is acutely aware that his or her statements are being made to a police officer and, indeed, that they may be repeated as evidence in a courtroom."

But Cassilly says the use of dash cameras does not negate officers' entitlement to privacy on the job. Police who use dash cameras must alert drivers that they are being taped, he said.

As Graber's case moves forward, civil libertarians are concerned about its implications in light of what happened to John McKenna, an unarmed University of Maryland student who was beaten in March by three police officers after the school's basketball victory over Duke. Police initially charged McKenna and another student with assaulting mounted police and alleged his injuries were caused by the horses. After a private investigator working for McKenna's attorney uncovered a video of the incident, the charges were dropped. The Prince George's County prosecutor and the FBI have since launched investigations.

If people who videorecord police are successfully prosecuted, even if they capture misconduct, the evidence they gathered is not admissible in court.

A judge could still dismiss the case against Graber at a hearing scheduled for October. But Rocah said it might be too late because "the message of intimidation has already been sent."

Graber told Miller that he is afraid of police now and so nervous driving that he has put his motorcycle up for sale.

rdret1
06-28-2010, 20:39
I saw this a while back. IMO, this is the biggest bag of crap out there. How they are willing to stretch this law to make that charge is unbelievable. If an officer tried this at my department, first, they would be the butt of many a roll call joke, then they would at least get some private counseling. As for the statement that police have to tell a suspect they are being taped on an in car video, that may be in Maryland, but not here.

lindy
06-29-2010, 15:24
RD,

Did you see the video? The first thing I thought when I saw the end where the "guy" stepped out of that car and immediately drew his weapon: "threat FRONT!"

I'm afraid the ACLU will have a field day with this case resulting in a law suit...MD State Police will be sued and I'll end up paying more taxes.

Sigh. I gotta move.

Dragbag036
06-29-2010, 17:10
I guess I better slow down if you get guns pulled on you for speeding in the MDW. I am always considerate of the job that Officers do a daily basis. But pulling a gun out on a motorcyclist, who you can see in plain site......hmmm. I will still give them the credit they deserve, but this guy doesn't help those that are already looking for an excuse to blame "The Man".

Ret10Echo
06-29-2010, 17:25
Wow. I gotta move.

Know and understand your operational environment.....P.D.R.M indeed.

I'm just surprised they didn't call in a helicopter and a SWAT team (That's an inside MD joke)

akv
06-29-2010, 17:44
Where there any lights or a siren on the police car in the video that I missed? The video legality debate aside, IMHO the outcome here was truly fortunate, Initially all I saw was an angry guy in civilian attire in an unmarked car cut the biker off, and pull a gun at close quarters. In that situation, would anyone have blamed the biker for running the gunman over in self defense before he identified himself as a LEO? I have great respect for LEO, but is this normal?

lindy
06-29-2010, 18:06
...Initially all I saw was an angry guy in civilian attire...pull a gun at close quarters...I have great respect for LEO, but is this normal?

Ok, so the kid was riding like an idiot but it's not like he threw a snowball at a Hummer or anything. :eek:

Five-O
06-29-2010, 18:46
In that situation, would anyone have blamed the biker for running the gunman over in self defense before he identified himself as a LEO? I have great respect for LEO, but is this normal?

No it is not normal and they guy should be disciplined. Watching the video, and after the MC has stopped, it looks as if there is a marked patrol car behind the MC so I am not sure why the plain clothes Trooper felt compelled to take the lead in the stop. The marked car should have initiated contact with the MC operator (who was driving like an ass-putting fellow motorist in danger). The plain clothes Trooper was stupid..... just plain stupid.

In regard to the Trooper drawing his weapon..he did not point it at the MC operator which tells me he did not see an immediate threat. If you see an immediate threat and you chose to draw a weapon..you point at the threat rght? However, I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the Trooper since I was not seeing what the Trooper was seeing.

And that wiretap law is crap..BTW.:rolleyes:

Defender968
06-29-2010, 18:48
Where there any lights or a siren on the police car in the video that I missed? The video legality debate aside, IMHO the outcome here was truly fortunate, Initially all I saw was an angry guy in civilian attire in an unmarked car cut the biker off, and pull a gun at close quarters. In that situation, would anyone have blamed the biker for running the gunman over in self defense before he identified himself as a LEO? I have great respect for LEO, but is this normal?

I wouldn't call it normal by any stretch, the car looked like a chevy Lumina, could be an unmarked or it could be a POV, if it's an unmarked car and he's making a traffic stop he should be using lights if for nothing else than for his own safety, either way he should have identified himself as an LEO as soon as his foot is out of the door of his car, preferably with a badge or jacket with police on it. In my old dept we were required to have our Police windbreaker, vest, radio and gun in the car at all times. Were I going to make this stop I'd have all four on me before I stepped out of the car, however to me while the kid was driving like a jackass, were I the LEO I'd have gotten on the radio while following the guy, then had a marked unit with uniformed LEO's who are on duty pull him over, unless he was doing something that was going to get someone killed at that moment, from what I could see though this guy was getting off the highway so I don't think it had to be right that second....now as for drawing the gun, that could be articulated to be acceptable....depending on the other circumstances that may have been going on, if the only things the LEO has to say is he saw a guy on a bike pulling a wheelie/driving like a jackass....then it's bad ju-ju IMHO, however if the stop was near a high crime area with a gang known to ride similar bikes, or colors, or if a crime had been committed recently by someone on a similar bike well.....you can see where I'm going.

airbn5
06-29-2010, 18:56
This stop is messed up in several areas and sorry if I repeat some of the points Defender968 has already made:

I would have had a hard time justifying the level of force based on what I have seen from the video. If there are no other unknows for example a history of gang activity related to the type of bike or other indicators that would cause me to go to straight to lethal force - then I do not think the level is justified. Officer saftey can easily override this due to the fact that the bike could be used against him but the trooper placed himself to the front of the subject.

Officer placement of his vehicle was line of fire for the subject. Not good. Once again based on what I've seen it did not appear that the subject was exhibiting behavior that would have led me to believe he was going to try and evade but then again I wasn't there. It may be allright with that agency SOP but not for my safety.

If you are plain clothes and have a marked patrol (there appeared to be one behind the bike as the stop was taking place)you let them make the initial contact and provide cover/support. Not to mention now his partner in the marked vehicle could quickly become his backstop.

Speeding(felony?-not sure of the limit on that road), reckless(wheelies) maybe some illegal lane changes and thats it?!?! Nah. but thats just me. You set the tone as an officer and it appears from the vid that the trooper was higher than it called for.

As for the wiretap law, :rolleyes:please. This one is for the courts now. I will say that my dash cam was able to clear me from a couple taxpayer complaints lodged against me. Your a public officer doin your job in public- pretty simple IMO

Defender968
06-29-2010, 19:20
This stop is messed up in several areas and sorry if I repeat some of the points Defender968 has already made:

I would have had a hard time justifying the level of force based on what I have seen from the video. If there are no other unknows for example a history of gang activity related to the type of bike or other indicators that would cause me to go to straight to lethal force - then I do not think the level is justified. Officer saftey can easily override this due to the fact that the bike could be used against him but the trooper placed himself to the front of the subject.

Officer placement of his vehicle was line of fire for the subject. Not good. Once again based on what I've seen it did not appear that the subject was exhibiting behavior that would have led me to believe he was going to try and evade but then again I wasn't there. It may be allright with that agency SOP but not for my safety.

If you are plain clothes and have a marked patrol (there appeared to be one behind the bike as the stop was taking place)you let them make the initial contact and provide cover/support. Not to mention now his partner in the marked vehicle could quickly become his backstop.

Speeding(felony?-not sure of the limit on that road), reckless(wheelies) maybe some illegal lane changes and thats it?!?! Nah. but thats just me. You set the tone as an officer and it appears from the vid that the trooper was higher than it called for.

As for the wiretap law, :rolleyes:please. This one is for the courts now. I will say that my dash cam was able to clear me from a couple taxpayer complaints lodged against me. Your a public officer doin your job in public- pretty simple IMO

I agree with all of the above, I wasn't going to get into the tactics as they were that bad...I'll only add if the guy was off duty when this happened...WOW......don't get me wrong in my state we had a duty to intervene in the case of a violent felony regardless of jurisdiction and duty status...and I’d go running towards gunfire or a assault or whatever in a flat second, but I'm not doing traffic on my off time, unless I'm in my cruiser on the way home or on the way to work, but in my POV in civvies....um no for all the reasons already mentioned.

rdret1
06-29-2010, 19:27
RD,

Did you see the video? The first thing I thought when I saw the end where the "guy" stepped out of that car and immediately drew his weapon: "threat FRONT!"

I'm afraid the ACLU will have a field day with this case resulting in a law suit...MD State Police will be sued and I'll end up paying more taxes.

Sigh. I gotta move.

I watched it a couple of times to see if I was missing something. First of all, an unmarked, plain clothes officer should never make initial contact on a traffic stop. That is BLET material. Second, the plain clothes officer approached the MC in an extremely unsafe manner ( from within 21 feet, directly in front of the suspect). When he did approach, he took his eyes off of the suspect and looked to the rear of the MC, where presumably, his back up was. If it is worth drawing your weapon on, it is worth pointing your weapon at! The plain clothes appeared extremely nervous. A high speed chase does tend to raise your adrenaline a bit, but not that bad. He wasn't giving the loud, authoritative commands one would expect in that situation. I think he definitely needed some remedial training on traffic stops.

airbn5
06-29-2010, 19:53
I agree with all of the above, I wasn't going to get into the tactics as they were that bad...I'll only add if the guy was off duty when this happened...WOW......don't get me wrong in my state we had a duty to intervene in the case of a violent felony regardless of jurisdiction and duty status...and I’d go running towards gunfire or a assault or whatever in a flat second, but I'm not doing traffic on my off time, unless I'm in my cruiser on the way home or on the way to work, but in my POV in civvies....um no for all the reasons already mentioned.

I concur. Ours was the same as well.

RD,

"A high speed chase does tend to raise your adrenaline a bit, but not that bad."

FNG and nervous? Yep, more training.