PDA

View Full Version : Not a knife, but made by a knifemaker...

DJ Urbanovsky
06-26-2010, 13:57
Per Jedi Master Harsey's orders, I am posting these here. He seemed to thing you guys would dig these.

These are my V6 Ti sporks. Well, it started with the sporks. I've since added forks and spoons to the lineup (not everyone likes sporks), and a stubby variant of each.

These are 100% USA made out of .063" thick USA made 6al4v Ti, hand forged by me on handmade dies (about 32 man hours into the fabrication of said dies). Finish is tumble over torch anodize.

Features:

Cap/pot lid/firegrate lifter. If you sharpen it, it'll also open cans.

Extra long handle means you can reach the bottom of an MRE pouch, and stir pots without getting your fingers burned.

Ti is a poor conductor of heat - again, no more burned fingers.

All points are rounded, so it'll pass TSA screenings. Yes, I've flown with these.

One of the worlds most innocuous self defense appliances. What, this? It's just a spork, man. :cool:

No metal taste to color the flavor of your chow, if you happen to be a foodie.

Tool holes - .25" hex key, O2 bottle key, MSR shaker stove key.

This all started because I was fed up with the Snowpeak spork. I knew I could build a better mousetrap, so I did. I'll share the full (verbose) story with you guys if you're interested. Hope you like 'em as much as I do!

Pics:

The Reaper
06-26-2010, 14:05
DJ:

Very nice.

Pricing?

TR

DJ Urbanovsky
06-26-2010, 14:25
Thanks, sir! Glad you like.

Pricing, which includes USPS priority insured shipping in the USA. Internationals need to contact me on the shipping rate.

Qty 1 - $44
Qty 2 - $80
Qty 3 - $114
Qty 4 - $148
Qty 5 - $180
Qty 6 - $210
Qty 7 - $238
Qty 8 - $264
Qty 9 - $288
Qty 10 - $300

I'll post a pic here shortly of one of these with the little wussie Snowpeak, so you can see the difference. These are 9.25" long, and there's probably about three times more Ti in mine vs the Snowpeak. That may seem like it's too big, but trust me, it's not. And because Ti is so light, you won't even feel it.

DJ Urbanovsky
06-26-2010, 14:38
Here are the comparison pics. Pic #3 - Heyyyyy? Where'd it go? :D

Knight
06-26-2010, 15:41
Very nice work! Website for possible orders?

PSM
06-26-2010, 16:08
Thanks, sir! Glad you like.

Pricing, which includes USPS priority insured shipping in the USA. Internationals need to contact me on the shipping rate.

Qty 1 - $44
Qty 2 - $90
Qty 3 - $114
Qty 4 - $148
Qty 5 - $180
Qty 6 - $210
Qty 7 - $238
Qty 8 - $264
Qty 9 - $288
Qty 10 - $300

Is this a mistake?

Pat

DJ Urbanovsky
06-26-2010, 16:32
Yes!

Thanks, man.

Fixed it up top.

Is this a mistake?

Pat

Tatonka316
06-26-2010, 17:29
I have been honored to receive one of the first prototypes, and DJ will be "field testing" these "one tribe at a time" very soon! Will post pics from the box as soon as I get them! :D:

These are AMAZING and once you use one, you "won't leave CONUS without one!!!;):D

Thanks DJ - U R da man!!!

molon labe:lifter

ZonieDiver
06-26-2010, 17:39
May we order them here? Is a PM in order???

DJ Urbanovsky
06-26-2010, 20:25
Thanks so much guys.

Jeff, I'm honored to be able to do my part, however small it may be. Emailed you some pics, buddy. ;)

Knight: Website is http://americankami.com.

ZonieDiver: To order, you can PM, email, or call. Email and phone # are on the website.

Sigaba
06-26-2010, 21:39
Some questions from the back bench.

Are there plans for a folding spork?
Can one mix different types in an order and still get the discount?

:munchin

DJ Urbanovsky
06-27-2010, 12:00
Sigaba: Yes, you can mix sizes and styles in the same order and still get the discount. They all take the same amount of labor and use about the same amount of materials. I charge one price for both sizes because the pricing is based off of my costs for the smaller pieces. So if you're buying the full size version, you're getting an "added bonus." :D

The full size spork is what started it all, and it's the most popular style, so I make the most of those. If you want a style that I'm out of, you can place an order for it and I'll plug it in to the layout for the next batch. I've been doing at least one batch a month, so the wait time on these isn't what is for my knives. I try to keep some in stock at all times, and when I'm getting low, I send another batch of Ti over to the waterjet cutters. But I do run out.

I wasn't planning on doing a folding spork - my first dealer offers something like that already, and I don't want to step on their toes. Plus, that really doesn't fit with the design ethos on these - strong, one piece construction. Adding a pivot means adding a potential failure point. I dunno... Now you've got me thinking... Maybe I'll tackle this in the future, but between building the next batch of blades, prepping for a show, these sporks, two custom nylon projects, and the Zippos, I've kinda got my hands full at the moment. :D

NousDefionsDoc
06-27-2010, 12:42
I have one by Snowpeak not nearly as nice as these and about the same price. Very handy tool and I highly recommend them. For survival. Even.

Sigaba
06-27-2010, 13:10
I wasn't planning on doing a folding spork - my first dealer offers something like that already, and I don't want to step on their toes. Plus, that really doesn't fit with the design ethos on these - strong, one piece construction. Adding a pivot means adding a potential failure point. I dunno... Now you've got me thinking... Maybe I'll tackle this in the future, but between building the next batch of blades, prepping for a show, these sporks, two custom nylon projects, and the Zippos, I've kinda got my hands full at the moment. :DDJ--

Understood. I especially appreciate your point about not stepping on anyone's toes.

I asked because TAD Gear cannot seem to keep their folding sporks in stock. And on another BB, folks who have gone down range have commented how useful and popular folding sporks can be. (The popularity is evidenced by the number of sporks that walk away from their owners.)

Bill Harsey
06-28-2010, 11:29
DJ,
Great work and that's why I wanted the folks here to see what your doing.
Thanks for posting the pics.

DJ Urbanovsky
06-28-2010, 12:24
NousDefionsDoc: I REALLY hope you didn't pay nearly $40 for that Snowpeak, buddy. Because if you did, somebody took you to the cleaners. :eek: You can get 'em for about $10. I've got a whole list of talking points on "AK spork vs Snowpeak spork..." But the crux of the matter for me was that owning their sporks and recognizing their inherent shortcomings is what motivated me to design and build my "better mousetrap." If you like your Snowpeak, then you'll love these. I hope none of this makes me sound like a rabid douchebag - I'm just really proud of and strongly believe in my sporks, and I feel like I've really accomplished something with them.

Sigaba: I'm big on that. And it's actually TAD I was referring to. I know some guys really like 'em and some guys really don't... Let me tell you a story: When I was starting out as a knifemaker, I caught a lot of flack. Probably for a number of reasons, some well deserved I'm sure. I'd been making knives for a very short time when TAD approached me about becoming a dealer. They took a chance on the new guy when no other "legitimate" dealer wanted to talk to me. Through those first several lean years, TAD helped me pay the bills, put food on the table, keep the lights on, and expand the shop. I will ALWAYS stand behind them. They believed in me and what I was doing as much as I did.

Jedi Master Harsey: You're the best. Thanks for issuing the order, if it weren't for that, I might have never posted these here. Sometimes I need a kick in the pants to send me in the right direction. :D

Les George
06-28-2010, 19:48
My AK spork enables me to sit on the couch and watch day time tv with a big bucket of ice cream when it's hot out in the shop!

I love it! :):)

DJ Urbanovsky
06-28-2010, 20:19
My AK spork enables me to sit on the couch and watch day time tv with a big bucket of ice cream when it's hot out in the shop!

I love it! :):)

You know it's all part of my master plan, right Les?

Phase 1: Hook Les up with a spork.

Phase 2: Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Phase 3: Dr. Phil + Haggen Daz...

:D

Sigaba
06-29-2010, 12:09
And it's actually TAD I was referring to. . . . TAD helped me pay the bills, put food on the table, keep the lights on, and expand the shop. I will ALWAYS stand behind them. They believed in me and what I was doing as much as I did. DJ--

MOO, while TAD Gear experiences growing pains from time to time, there's never a doubt that Prometheus and his team are focused on their relationships with their partners and their customers.

CRUSADERSTEEL
06-29-2010, 14:02
DJ, those are slick!

DJ Urbanovsky
06-29-2010, 16:21
Sigaba: They've overcome a lot of challenges in the last four+ years I've dealt with them. Never have they done me wrong, and they've always been extremely patient with me. And if someone is willing to stand with me, I've got their back.

CRUSADERSTEEL: Thanks dude! Glad you dig 'em.

militarymoron
06-30-2010, 09:16
nice work, DJ.

Cool Breeze
06-30-2010, 10:44
That is outstanding. Does it come in larger sizes? Could see it in a "crew served" application when doing UW. I hope you sell a million of them brother.:cool:

DJ Urbanovsky
06-30-2010, 11:28
Thanks guys! Glad you like 'em.

Cool Breeze: Well, these are pretty nice sized already... Most people's first reaction upon seeing one is "Holy shit, that's big!" But then they'll use it and realize that it's just right. How big do you want it? If I went bigger on the bowl, I'd need to fabricate another set of dies. Which takes a lot of time. My current dies have about 32 man hours worth of fabrication in them.

Bill Harsey
07-01-2010, 09:10
NousDefionsDoc: I REALLY hope you didn't pay nearly $40 for that Snowpeak, buddy. Because if you did, somebody took you to the cleaners. :eek: You can get 'em for about $10...

DJ,
You didn't get the whole story. NDD paid that for his Snowpeak and had it delivered halfway around the planet, in person, for that price.

If you make these things big enough they could serve as a shovel, breaking bar and cooking pot.

DJ Urbanovsky
07-01-2010, 11:04
DJ,
You didn't get the whole story. NDD paid that for his Snowpeak and had it delivered halfway around the planet, in person, for that price.

If you make these things big enough they could serve as a shovel, breaking bar and cooking pot.

Ahhhhhhh... I see now. In that case, it was a bargain! :D

Are you saying you'd like to see me to make 'em bigger? I think that's what you're saying... ;)

Titanium battle shovel, G10 handles?

chance
10-03-2014, 08:29
I ordered 2 Sporks, and 1 fork last week.:lifter Pretty stoked

DJ Urbanovsky
10-03-2014, 13:19
Forging them now. :D

Thanks for your support, buddy.

I ordered 2 Sporks, and 1 fork last week.:lifter Pretty stoked

The Reaper
10-03-2014, 13:30
Ahhhhhhh... I see now. In that case, it was a bargain! :D

Are you saying you'd like to see me to make 'em bigger? I think that's what you're saying... ;)

Titanium battle shovel, G10 handles?

Racing spoon.

TR

DJ Urbanovsky
10-05-2014, 10:20
I did a little supersizing in CAD yesterday...

;)

Very curious to see how they forge out in my existing dies.

Racing spoon.

TR

TCT_Knives
10-14-2014, 12:15
DJ, those are awesome!

chance
10-14-2014, 16:11
I received my Sporks and Fork last week just in time to go play in the woods for a week, I had already owned one from way back and always wanted a fork, and the other two where for good friends. All I can say is if you don't have one spend the coin and get one.: lifter
The only difference that I notice right off from my old spork to the new ones is that your markers mark is cut all the way thru but on the new ones it wasn't, other then that same epic spork.

x SF med
10-14-2014, 19:26
My AmKami Ti Spork (tm) is the chili devouring device of choice... and the only utensil I bring out for a weekend of camping/shooting. DJ, they are awesome... and have excellent spring for food fights, mashed taters can get across a huge room with super accuracy. :rolleyes::D