PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Colt 1911s?

RichL025
06-20-2010, 19:56
OK, basic question here, but this is something I never sorted out before (be nice to the medic, don't make fun of him for silly questions....)

What is the functional difference between the Series 70 & Series 80s? I mean, I've read somewhere about a firing-pin safety (is this even necessary for a weapon that's not carried hammer-down on a live round?) but is there a real-world difference?

If I were shopping for a nice, inexpensive 1911 to shoot IDPA with, would I be a fool to go with one or the other?

The Reaper
06-20-2010, 20:07
OK, basic question here, but this is something I never sorted out before (be nice to the medic, don't make fun of him for silly questions....)

What is the functional difference between the Series 70 & Series 80s? I mean, I've read somewhere about a firing-pin safety (is this even necessary for a weapon that's not carried hammer-down on a live round?) but is there a real-world difference?

If I were shopping for a nice, inexpensive 1911 to shoot IDPA with, would I be a fool to go with one or the other?

Collet bushing instead of solid was added to the Government Models with the Series 70. Most people consider that to have been a step backwards with regard to reliability. The Series 80 added a firing pin block safety system, where a series of internal levers and a plunger positively blocked the firing pin from moving until the trigger was pressed, as well as the half-cock notch being redesigned. I have had a 1911, not a Colt, refuse to fire when the firing pin block rubbed just a bit too hard on the firing pin, and retarded it from a clean impact. I am not a fan.

Might be another few corners they cut.

Neither is going to be competitive, or necessarily reliable, out of the box, with anything but Ball.

TR

Justice
07-04-2010, 11:59

No

jpb0034
07-04-2010, 13:39
Iam a big fan of the 1911. I have a springfield trp that will shoot just as good as my wilson combat cqb, and it was half the price. They say the quality of the 80 series is not as good as the 70, I have both and they shoot equally well. You can make the 70 series safer by installing an xp firing pin spring. After attending a class at csat I learned that a double action pistol was the way to go. My timed drills with a 1911 just didnt compare to that of a da. As much as I love the 1911 I purchased a hk usp when I got home. If I ever get to shoot idpa I will probably start with my hk over my 1911.

Utah Bob
07-10-2010, 06:41
I had a Series 80 given to me at retirement. While I'm not a fan of the firing pin safety it reliably digests Ranger and Silvertip HPs without any problems.
With a little work you should be okay using it for IDPA.
You can get a Springfield Armory for less and have more money left to slick it up though.

Sinister
07-10-2010, 10:02
Not much difference. I won't buy a pistol with the 80s guts and the price is comparable between the two.

You can remove the Series 80 guts and place a $5 shim in the receiver to get rid of the firing pin jackassery. This will clean up the trigger break and relieve you of the patchwork of shit that can malfunction and prevent the pistol from firing.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=13121/Product/1911_AUTO_FRAME_SLOT_BLANK#

Stras
07-10-2010, 20:29
RichL025,

What did you buy?

Love my Springfield 1911, slightly customized with Wilson parts. It rocks.

RichL025
07-11-2010, 13:44
Bill,

Holding off for a bit. Gonna keep shooting my Sig for awhile in IDPA

CHRISTIN
08-15-2010, 08:45
In the past, I have bought Springfield 1911's and had them customized from mild to wild (IDPA to full-blown IPSC). The Springfield 1911 is a great platform to base your projects on.

I also have a Bul (Israeli) 1911 wide-body 13+ in the gun, the lower being made of polymer. It's a good shooting pistol as well... for those of you out there that are into fatguns.

alright4u
08-15-2010, 20:00
The finest pistol I ever owned and the most accurate was a model 70 throated out, trigger pull to 4LBS, night sights,. pachmyer grips etc. It was built by a man, who was damn good, plus made some 45 loads SF would love. Sadly, I had to sell it in 85. I would hate to pay the price now.

tom kelly
08-23-2010, 00:42
There are many 1911 type pistols in the marketplace today,some foreign made and most domestic made and the difference between the Colt's, Remington Rand, and the other manufactured for WWII and the custom made .45 cal by the top members of the Pistolsmith Guild members who put 53 precision parts, hand fitted into a match frame made from forged steel along with a match slide fitted to the frame with a NM barrel will shoot 2/1/2 inch groups at 50 yards. These pistols are reliable, accurate and EXPENSIVE. It is possible to spend up to 5 Grand and wait 4 to 6 months to get this type of .45 Semi Auto. tom kelly