PDA

View Full Version : Bill Harsey and Spartan

NousDefionsDoc
06-12-2010, 15:26
I believe Uncle Bill might have some news from Blade?

NousDefionsDoc
06-12-2010, 15:33
I see mention in the show thread, but shouldn't it get a thread of its own?

swatsurgeon
06-12-2010, 15:46
I see mention in the show thread, but shouldn't it get a thread of its own?

NDD,
Now that is just a tease.:boohoo

x SF med
06-13-2010, 11:19
If you are attempting to cover Bill and the Spartan boys you're gonna need a lot more than one thread... the 3 of them have been eating pretty well, and Harsey started the size of a small county...;) I'd suggest about 100 yards of finished cloth... Kevlar...

Bill Harsey
06-13-2010, 12:34
I believe Uncle Bill might have some news from Blade?

There is some news from Blade Show in Atlanta.
First, the setting.
Blade Show is the annual International Knife show put on by Blade Magazine in Atlanta at the Cobb Galleria and Convention Center which is connected to the Renaissance Waverly Hotel. This is a very nice setting for a show and there is usually little risk of getting cold in Atlanta that time of year.
Think of SHOT Show but with knives and related items only. All the major manufacturers and makers are there and on Saturday night is the annual banquet and awards dinner.

Last year Mark and Curtis of Spartan and I talked about the possibility of doing a fixed blade knife together and we thought it might be a good thing to try. They let me do the easy part, all I had to do was design it and do the blade grinding. Mark was tasked with the tech work like cad-cam of blade and handle, buying steel and handle material, heat treating and organizing the physical vapor deposition coating of the blades and getting the handles done all based on the prototype work done here in the shop. Chris Reeve makes the threaded barrels for the handle screws and I have no idea how Mark talked him into that. :D Then the Spartan guys have to oil and assemble the handles then sharpen and check for sheath fit.
Speaking of the sheaths,
Spartan uses Okuden run by Brian Wagner, for a sheath that met our (OK, Mark and Curtis's) approval. We highly recommend Okuden as a kydex maker if Piter is too far away.

We submitted this knife into the Blade Show category of "Best Collaboration" which is the co-operation of a designer and a knife manufacturer. The project between us is a shared effort with all the blades being ground here by me.
The quality of knives in this category was exceptional but at least we had a knife in the running.

The quailty of knives in general between both manufacturers and makers was very high, probably the best I have ever seen. This comment includes makers who are members of this forum so very well done guys!

At the awards dinner Spartan Knives name was called for "Best Collaboration in the Industry, 2010" Well done Spartan! This also proves you can't take QP's anywhere. ;)

It should also be noted here that Chris Reeve Knives won "Highest Quality Manufacturer" (again...) and also the award for "Knife of the Year" for their new folder with Grant and Gavin Hawk so the CRK Team is growing in a nice direction.

The Reaper
06-13-2010, 13:08
Bill:

Thanks for the update.

Very informative.

Congrats to all involved.

TR

Tatonka316
06-14-2010, 07:08
Congratulations to Bill, Mark and Curtis!!! I "used" to own two of these amazing blades, but one went to my youngest son, and the other will be visiting "one tribe at a time" after the bird lands today!!! They are TRULY a work of art, and I can not thank Spartan Blades enough for their professionalism and outstanding quality knives!!!:D:D:D

molon labe:lifter

Oku
06-21-2010, 17:00
"Speaking of the sheaths,
Spartan uses Okuden run by Brian Wagner, for a sheath that met our (OK, Mark and Curtis's) approval. We highly recommend Okuden as a kydex maker if Piter is too far away."

Thanks very much Bill! It is both a pleasure and an honor to be able to work with you guys! :D