PDA

View Full Version : Anniversary

The Reaper
06-06-2010, 05:18
Today is the 66th Anniversary of D-Day, where American, British, and Canadian troops first came ashore to liberate the continent and fulfil their promise.

At this time on D-Day, things were not looking good.

We stayed the course, and persevered.

There is a lesson there, I believe.

If you have WWII vets in your family, please call them today and say, "Thank You. Your service and sacrifice are not forgotten."

There are not many left.

Or just thank any vet for his service.

Thanks, brothers!

TR

JJ_BPK
06-06-2010, 06:55
May those that paid the ultimate sacrifice, Rest in Peace..

Vaya con Dios..

echoes
06-06-2010, 06:59
TR Sir,

Just wanted to add my thanks to all Veterans!

When my Uncle passed last year, I was given an envelope that he kept containing a series of pictures taken the day after we bombed Berchtesgaden. There is a picture of my Uncle and his unit surveying Hitler's Benz, and as I was told, they had to roll it down the hill from the bunker, because it wouldn't start.

Previously Posted Here:
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25956

Will post the rest here on PS.com, as they are a piece of History.

RIP Uncle Bug, and Thank You to ALL WWII Vets, we remember, and will never forget.

Holly

98G
06-06-2010, 09:25
Today is the 66th Anniversary of D-Day, where American, British, and Canadian troops first came ashore to liberate the continent and fulfil their promise.

The medal is for his actions the 7th, not the 6th when he landed, but 66 years ago tomorrow, my father was awarded the DSC -- citation below. He was an NCO in the Big Red One and battlefield promoted after campaigns in Africa/Italy. He joined the Army upon completing the 10th grade. He is now buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

First Lieutenant John Synowsky, 18th Infantry United States Army. For extraordinary heroism in action against the enemy on June 7, 1944, in France. When his platoon was leading in the battalion in the attack and reached a bridge on which an enemy machine gun was firing, First Lieutenant Synowsky, knowing that the machine gun would hold up the entire battalion, gallantly left his platoon and assaulted the machine gun. Creeping and crawling through fire so heavy that his men were unable to give him covering fire, he reached a point less than 10 yards from the enemy then quickly rose up and threw a hand grenade accurately into the emplacement destroying the machine gun. Snipers fired at him but, quickly locating the positions where the snipers were located, he returned their fire, killing them or causing them to flee. As a result of his courage and skillful actions, the battalion immediately resumed its attack, and because he alone exposed himself to the existing danger, not a man in his assault platoon was harmed. First Lieutenant Synowsky's extraordinary heroism and outstanding achievement infused in his men a spirit of the highest of military tradition.

Thank TR, for remembering and taking the time to post it to remind others.

pjody187
06-06-2010, 09:51
Obit that the funeral home wrote for my Grandfather last march. A few inaccuracies but well written I think.

Mr. Joseph Milford Cupp, age 90, of Madison, Indiana entered this life on September 27, 1919 in Whitley County, Kentucky, the son of Millard and Bertha Caddell Cupp, both of who preceded him in death. He was a 1940 graduate of Corbin High School in Corbin, Kentucky. He was united in marriage on December 26, 1942 in Corbin, Kentucky to Myrtle McBrayer and to this union came two daughters and three sons to bless their home.

Joe was inducted into the United States Army on March 24, 1942, rising to the rank of Private First Class serving in company "I" of the 194th Glider Infantry, later reorganized in March of 1944 as the 3rd Battalion, 325th Glider Infantry of the 82nd Airborne Division. Joe received occupational specialty training as mortar gunner. He landed on the beaches of Normandy during the D-Day invasion of the European continent and fought in the later campaigns of the Battle of the Bulge and the Rhineland. He was wounded in combat in during the Battle of the Bulge in the Adrienne Belgium. He received 3 Bronze Stars, the Purple Heart, the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal, the Good Conduct Ribbon, a Distinguished Unit Citation, a Combat Infantryman Badge and a Glider Badge. He was honorably discharged form the Army on September 19, 1945 at the separation center at Camp Atterbury, Indiana.

After leaving the service of his country, Joe was trained as a Linotype Operator, first working for the Greenville Sun newspaper in Greenville, Tennessee and later at the Cincinnati Enquirer, retiring in 1980. He enjoyed dancing and he attended numerous 82nd Airborne reunions. He was a huge basketball fan and once shot 23-3 point shots in a row. He had resided in Madison since 1978 and he was a favorite sight shooting hoops in his driveway on Michigan Road. Joe was known for his patriotism and his love of country. He loved to share his experiences during World War II with younger generations by giving talks at local schools and youth organizations. He was a member of the Jefferson Post # 9 of the American Legion, Post 1969 of Veterans of Foreign Wars, a member of the Madison Moose Lodge and a member of Calvary Baptist Church. Joe died Saturday, March 27, 2010 at 10:16 a.m. at The Water's of Clifty Falls in Madison, Indiana.

http://www.morgan-nay.com/obit.aspx?id=748

mojaveman
06-06-2010, 10:37
Some interesting history posted here. If I got my information right, 2,500 Americans were killed before the day was over. I'm going to get to Normandy one of these days and check out the beaches and cemetery. I heard seeing the latter is a very emotional experience.

To the fallen...

Sdiver
06-06-2010, 11:00

At this time on D-Day, things were not looking good.

We stayed the course, and persevered.

There is a lesson there, I believe.

If you have WWII vets in your family, please call them today and say, "Thank You. Your service and sacrifice are not forgotten."

There are not many left.

Or just thank any vet for his service.

Thanks, brothers!

TR

Here...Here !!!!!

It was these men, against insurmountable odds, who stormed a fortress of oppression, to show the world, that free will and freedom will never die.

The same will and determination that is shown with the men and women today, who wear our countries uniform.

Gypsy
06-06-2010, 11:42
A toast to the fallen who faced almost insurmountable odds. And also to those who came home, carrying the memories of war and of those who gave all.

Our country, and the world, owes a great debt to you. Thank you.

dadof18x'er
06-06-2010, 12:10
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20100606_12_A13_WorldW833496

18DWife
06-06-2010, 12:12
Never Forget <3

LarryW
06-06-2010, 13:19
Thanks for this post, pjody187:

Some trivia noted while watching this. The ranks of the enlisted guys who flew in the back seat and along with their pilots gave their lives that day. During WWII the nomenclature was different but I think this helps add some perspective to their sacrifice ($ salaries).

E1, Seaman 3 Class ($50/mo)
E2, Seaman 2 Class ($54/mo)
E3, Seaman 1 Class ($66/mo)
E4, Third Class Petty Officer ($78/mo)
E5, Second Class Petty Officer ($96/mo)
E6, First Class Petty Officer ($114/mo)
E7, Chief Petty Officer ($126/mo)
O1, Ensign ($247/mo (at sea))
O2, Lieutenant Junior Grade ($275/mo (at sea))
O3, Lieutenant ($330/mo (at sea))
O4, Lieutenant Commander ($412/mo (at sea))

God bless them all.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
06-06-2010, 13:37
Some interesting history posted here. If I got my information right, 2,500 Americans were killed before the day was over. I'm going to get to Normandy one of these days and check out the beaches and cemetery. I heard seeing the latter is a very emotional experience.

To the fallen...

I have had the opportunity to visit the D-Day Normandy area twice once in the 70's and again on 13 May 2010. There have been many changes between visits to the area, especially at Pointe du Hoc due to erosion of the cliff and improving parking and access to the areas. The Cemetery above Omaha beach and the 'garden of stones' there is a VERY emotional experience.

This time I was also able to visit the museum and church steeple at St. Mere Eglise, which for a paratrooper is well worth the visit.

alright4u
06-06-2010, 14:08
These were the men many of us wanted to be like. They damn sure knew what charging into enemy fire was all about. That follow me statue at Benning is a reminder, too. These men paid the ultimate for others. I pray some realize many were immigrants, who came here legally, assimilated, learned English and obeyed our laws.

rdret1
06-06-2010, 17:47
A toast to the "Greatest Generation"! Those who showed the world what America was made of!

Gypsy
06-06-2010, 17:58
Some pictures from a memorial jump.

http://www.marcoalpozzi.it/index.php?option=com_phocagallery&view=category&id=25:normandia&Itemid=3

This one is my favorite...brought a lump to my throat.

Green Light
06-06-2010, 18:13
I saw a friend of mine today who was a replacement after D-Day, but saw everything after that through the Bulge. The only way you'd know he was a veteran was the miniature CIB on his collar. We'd talked about it before, but I thought that I'd thank him again. He's using a walker and moves a bit slower. But he's still got that "infantryman's look". Always has a quick smile, always comments on what a great day it is, and I've never heard him complain a whit about anything. He's truly an amazing guy.

I guess they all were back then, or at least they seem to be. Having seen a scuffle or two, I still can't imagine what they faced as they set out against Fortress Europe and an enemy that was both skilled and determined. I stand in awe at each one of them. Its amazing what we owe to them.

Bless'm all. Every last one of them.