FYI.

White House Commission on Remembrance

http://www.remember.gov/

Richard

orion5
05-30-2010, 12:35
This is interesting, Richard....

From that website, it explains the "Moment":

The idea for the Moment was born when children touring the Nation’s Capital were asked by the Commission’s Director what Memorial Day means. They responded, “That’s the day the pool opens.” A Gallup Poll revealed that only 28% of Americans know the meaning of this noble holiday. The White House Commission on Remembrance was established by Congress (PL 106-579) to promote the values of Memorial Day by acts of remembrance throughout the year. The major initiative of the Commission is the National Moment of Remembrance.

I haven't been watching tv much lately, and I read the internet more than the local papers, but if this is such an important initiative, why is this the first I've heard of it? Couldn't they do a better job promoting it?

Maybe just me, though....

sf11b_p
05-30-2010, 13:04
Posted already

Green Light
05-31-2010, 17:15
I was a proud papa today. Before we went to a gathering, I asked my kids what Memorial Day was all about. My youngest, a six year old, said that it was to remember the soldiers who died for us.

I just about busted my buttons. She said that they must have been good people to love us enough to die. Then she crawled up in my lap and gave me a hug. "I'm glad you're OK, Daddy. I'm sorry about your friends."

I wanted to make sure that they understood what today was for. They're good girls. They know what you guys out there are doing and the sacrifices you make.

orion5
06-02-2010, 09:55
I was a proud papa today. Before we went to a gathering, I asked my kids what Memorial Day was all about. My youngest, a six year old, said that it was to remember the soldiers who died for us.

I just about busted my buttons. She said that they must have been good people to love us enough to die. Then she crawled up in my lap and gave me a hug. "I'm glad you're OK, Daddy. I'm sorry about your friends."

I wanted to make sure that they understood what today was for. They're good girls. They know what you guys out there are doing and the sacrifices you make.

Beautiful, GL. Thanks for sharing....that sensitivity and wisdom from children is priceless. :)

o5

greenberetTFS
06-02-2010, 12:31
This is interesting, Richard....

From that website, it explains the "Moment":

The idea for the Moment was born when children touring the Nation’s Capital were asked by the Commission’s Director what Memorial Day means. They responded, “That’s the day the pool opens.” A Gallup Poll revealed that only 28% of Americans know the meaning of this noble holiday. The White House Commission on Remembrance was established by Congress (PL 106-579) to promote the values of Memorial Day by acts of remembrance throughout the year. The major initiative of the Commission is the National Moment of Remembrance.

I haven't been watching tv much lately, and I read the internet more than the local papers, but if this is such an important initiative, why is this the first I've heard of it? Couldn't they do a better job promoting it?

Maybe just me, though....

O5,

Are you kidding,the MSM don't give a $*^t about the Commission on the National Moment of Remembrance,that's exactly why you and I haven't heard anything about it............:mad:

Big Teddy :munchin

rdret1
06-02-2010, 15:49
We just spent the entire weekend in DC for Rolling Thunder. I didn't see a single billboard, poster or notice about this, even at ANC. They may have been there but they weren't very prominent if they were.