PDA

View Full Version : German Citizen -> US Military

charlietwo
05-27-2010, 21:59
I got this email not too long ago from a guy in Germany... As a recruiter I get random questions like this frequently, but this one is well out of my realm of knowledge. Has anyone had any experience with this sort of thing, specifically in Germany, so I can give him some sort of an answer? Anything will work. Thanks!

"thank you very much for taking the time to answer my mail. At the moment i live in Gießen Germany near Frankfurt. I own the german citizenship thats why i was searching for any kind of program which contains the possibilities for a german, like i am to join the US Military. I tried getting a Green Card but the Consulate just asked me to join some kind of lottery to get one. But itīs never sure you win, isnīt it? Itīs not just about the Greencard or the Citizenship, itīs about working for the US, maybe as a liaison officer for American German matters.. if something like that exists. I donīt know and thats just why iīm asking you. I donīt really know who else i have to contact or who else could help me out with this. "

Penn
05-28-2010, 00:26
You cannot join the U.S. Army unless you are a U.S. citizen, U.S. National, or have a green card. You can only get a green card if you live in the United States for 5 years or marry a U.S. citizen. In order to move to the United States you have to get a resident card. You can obtain a resident card by first getting a job in the U.S. The Process begins at birth, or here:http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

charlietwo
05-28-2010, 08:35
Thanks Penn,

That's what I understood as well. Wasn't sure if anyone knew any tricks with the German Military.

Thanks again for your help!

Sinister
05-28-2010, 10:29
Green card required.

Must be a US Citizen before third enlistment.

Utah Bob
05-28-2010, 17:30
Looks like he's out of luck for the lottery. UNless he moves to Poland.
Green Card Lottery (http://www.usafis.org/DVUpdate/art_eligible.asp)