PDA

View Full Version : "black" lake city 5.56 ammunition.

PriestFoxley
05-26-2010, 20:42
Every time I go out to a military range near fort Bliss, I notice jet black looking ammunition. brass cases that look solid, smooth black, same with the fired rounds.

I have no idea how old they are, but during the last range, I brought a set of calipers with me and measured an unfired, "black" round. tolerances for a 5.56 seemed normal, and a bit of scrubbing with a brass brush proved the tarnish didn't come off easy.

Now, I just got into reloading, and I can't help but think that black cases like that look cool as hell. I am pretty sure it is an effect of the environment, but no clue what exactly. the sun, maybe?

I dumped a handful of .308 unprimed brass on my roof a month ago. They look a bit dull, but not black.

Just how long do the cases have to be exposed to turn black? what the heck actually does it, and can I duplicate it in a faster way?

I know there is no good reason to do this, but it is science, and sorta cool.

JJ_BPK
05-27-2010, 05:09
Every time I go out to a military range near fort Bliss, I notice jet black looking ammunition. brass cases that look solid, smooth black, same with the fired rounds.

My 11 grade chem class, taught by Dmitrii D Padonof, additionally verified by My Google Fu, would suggest that the ground in that area has a lot of sulfur in the soil...

My Early Morning $00.0002

:cool:

Combat Diver
06-01-2010, 11:41
Possible Hornady TAP cases left on the ground by the USBP?

CD

jatx
06-02-2010, 10:47
Hornady TAP "Practice" (i.e. non-brass) ammo has a blackish case color...

dr. mabuse
06-02-2010, 19:43

brianksain
09-09-2010, 08:55
Sounds like Hornady stuff.

Great company.

brianksain
09-10-2010, 08:22
Maybe they fell out of black helicopters ??? :)

Sorry ...

MVP
09-14-2010, 09:48
No, they were left there by the guys wearing lots of black velcro driving black suburbans.

MVP