PDA

View Full Version : 20,000 Flags On Boston Common Honor War Dead

eddie
05-26-2010, 18:27
http://wbztv.com/local/boston.common.flags.2.1716599.html

It is a long and tedious process, but for the volunteers it's work that is well worth the effort.

"It gives you time to reflect, time to think," said one volunteer.

They started Wednesday and are spending hours and hours placing 20,000 flags into the ground at the Boston Common.

It's a way to honor the Memorial Day holiday.

"We are trying to find a way to bring attention to Memorial Day and show it's more than about picnics and shopping and sales," said Cindy McGinty, who lost her husband on 9/11 and is part of the Mass Military Heroes Fund.

The group is the brainchild behind the display. Volunteers thought this would get people's attention.

"We want them to have visual impact," McGinty said. This is the first year they have tried the display.

As the display grows, it gets more and more powerful for the people working to make it.

"I've been thinking of families of the soldiers," said one woman as she planted the flags in the ground.

It will take more than fifty volunteers and hours of hard work in the heat, but for the people here today, it's worth the message they are sending.

"It's awesome; it's inspiring," said one volunteer. The display will stay up through Memorial Day

I had just read this and thought that You all would be interested in reading it as well.

Dozer523
05-26-2010, 19:07
If you really want to have some quiet time to reflect on the sacrifice of the Veterans buried in our National Cemeteries, go by on Tuesday AFTER Memorial Day and help the groundskeepers gather up the flags. It's even better if it's raining. I'll be a Jefferson Barracks.