PDA

View Full Version : Quote of the Day

Snaquebite
05-25-2010, 22:40
Feel free to contribute, remember the main topic of this thread.

Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it!
Ella WIlliams

The greatest discovery of our generation is that human beings can alter their lives by altering their attitudes of mind. As you think, so shall you be.
William James

Richard
05-25-2010, 23:45
In my view, far from deserving condemnation for their courageous reporting, the New York Times, the Washington Post and other newspapers should be commended for serving the purpose that the Founding Fathers saw so clearly. – Hugo Black

Big Boss
05-26-2010, 01:29
If God sends us on strong paths, we are provided strong shoes.
Corrie TenBoom

steel_eel
05-26-2010, 08:59
The greatest discovery of our generation is that human beings can alter their lives by altering their attitudes of mind. As you think, so shall you be.
William James
Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

"Any fact facing us is not as important as our attitude toward it, for that determines our success or failure."
-Norman Vincent Peale

Snaquebite
05-27-2010, 11:02
I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

- Thomas Jefferson

greenberetTFS
05-27-2010, 11:35
Stupid is as stupid does............ ;) Sally Field,Forest Gump

orion5
05-27-2010, 11:36
Si ventus non est, remiga. If there is no wind, row.

bandycpa
07-26-2010, 19:25
"Critics are men who sit and watch a battle from a high place and come down to shoot the survivors." – Ernest Hemingway

Sdiver
07-26-2010, 20:36
Although he had many great quotes, I think these are appropriate for this site.

Discipline is the soul of an army. It makes small numbers formidable; procures success to the weak, and esteem to all.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.

Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

If we desire to avoid insult, we must be able to repel it; if we desire to secure peace, one of the most powerful instruments of our rising prosperity, it must be known, that we are at all times ready for War.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

forward
07-26-2010, 21:17
Common but a classic nonetheless:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt, April 23, 1910

and one from an amazing human being:

“The last of human freedoms - the ability to chose one's attitude in a given set of circumstances.” -Viktor Frankl

V/r,

Forward

SouthernDZ
07-27-2010, 06:20
William James

"You can't change the wind, but you can always adjust the sails" - Unknown Author

Nightfall
11-03-2010, 09:44
Haven't seen one in a while, so...

"He impaired his vision by holding the object too close. He might see, perhaps, one or two points with unusual clearness, but in so doing he, necessarily, lost sight of the matter as a whole. Thus there is such a thing as being too profound. Truth is not always in a well. In fact, as regards the more important knowledge, I do believe that she is invariably superficial. The depth lies in the valleys where we seek her, and not upon the mountain-tops where she is found." - E. A. Poe

Richard
11-03-2010, 09:54
...there are some things that can beat smartness and foresight. Awkwardness and stupidity can. The best swordsman in the world doesn't need to fear the second best swordsman in the world; no, the person for him to be afraid of is some ignorant antagonist who has never had a sword in his hand before; he doesn't do the thing he ought to do, and so the expert isn't prepared for him.

- Mark Twain, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

Bordercop
11-03-2010, 10:12
A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them.

P. J. O'Rourke

Tatonka316
11-03-2010, 10:44
"The path to my fixed purpose is laid on iron rails in which my soul is grooved to ride." Herman Melvile, Moby Dick

molon labe:lifter

drymartini66
11-03-2010, 14:52
When life gives you the dirty end of the stick, take the other end and sharpen it.

Gen. Colin L. Powell.

2018commo
11-03-2010, 20:25
"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live."

SF-TX
11-03-2010, 20:30
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson

suede18
11-03-2010, 20:34
"I know of no more encouraging facts than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by a concious endeavor." -Henry D. Thoreau-Walden

Big Boss
11-04-2010, 02:47
"Nothing can be more hurtful to the service, than the neglect of discipline; for that discipline, more than numbers, gives one army the superiority over another."

-George Washington

CSB
11-04-2010, 07:45
"A man will never know his own limitations unless, every once in a while, he exceeds them."

BearW
11-04-2010, 19:45
Mental toughness is to physical, as four is to one. -Bobby Knight

MFF3705
11-05-2010, 09:09
"With respect to acting in the face of danger, courage is a mean between the excess of rashness and the deficiency of cowardice." Aristotle

Decoy_Octopus
11-05-2010, 09:28
F*ck a day off I'm moving heavy for the payoff.

-John Cena

Stingray
11-14-2010, 03:43
"You will deal with one of two pains in your life. The pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The great thing is, you get to choose."

Surgicalcric
11-14-2010, 18:53
F*ck a day off I'm moving heavy for the payoff.

-John Cena

Did you really just quote an actor/wrestler/rapper in a thread about mindset?

If this is all you have to add you should seriously consider not adding anything in the future.

The Reaper
11-14-2010, 21:52
I hear a Black Chinook inbound.

TR

Dusty
11-15-2010, 04:57
"If you're runnin' in the woods and you smell a billy goat, jump! 'Cause it's a snake." Col. Bad Bob Howard at my SFQC graduation ceremony in '83.

longrange1947
11-15-2010, 07:03
Mistakes in combat are unpardonable sins, punishable by death. -- SFC Joe Walker, One Zero RT California.

Figured I would give one closer to home. :)

Team Sergeant
11-15-2010, 09:25
One of my all time favorites;

Dec.23, 1944 - "Battle of the Bulge"
An entire U.S. armored division is retreating from the Germans in the Ardennes forest when a sergeant in a tank destroyer spotted an American digging a foxhole. The GI, PFC Martin, 325th Glider Infantry Regiment, looked up and asked, "Are you looking for a safe place?" "Yeah," answered the tanker.

"Well, buddy," he drawled, "Just pull your vehicle behind me...
I'm the 82nd Airborne, and this is as far as the bastards are going."--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ambush Master
11-15-2010, 19:15
"If you're runnin' in the woods and you smell a billy goat, jump! 'Cause it's a snake." Col. Bad Bob Howard at my SFQC graduation ceremony in '83.

Mistakes in combat are unpardonable sins, punishable by death. -- SFC Joe Walker, One Zero RT California.

Figured I would give one closer to home. :)

I worked for Bob and RT California's Team Room was in the same buildindg as RTNY, next door.

Real Problems Have NO SOLUTUIONS........Therefore we are not having a Real Problem!!

me!!

hydrashok
11-18-2010, 18:16
Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not. Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not. Unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not. The world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence, determination and hard work make the difference. -- Calvin Coolidge

Jack Dale
11-28-2010, 00:46
Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not. Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not. Unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not. The world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence, determination and hard work make the difference. -- Calvin Coolidge

My own view of persistence is that it must be like the real rules to soccer, which are:

If it moves, kick it. If it doesn't move, kick it until it does move!

Jack Dale
11-28-2010, 00:48
Another of my favorites, and one I try to keep in mind every day is:

Never argue with idiots. They just drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

wet dog
11-28-2010, 18:02
"That boy has not been around the coffee pot long enough to find the handle".

echoes
11-28-2010, 18:18
Peeking in here slowly, to add one of my all-time favorite pieces of advice:

"I have hung out in dangerous places a lot over the years, from combat zones to biker bars, and it is the weak, the unaware, or those looking for it, that usually find trouble.

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly." TR 09-04-2004, 09:30

drymartini66
12-01-2010, 19:20
" To error is human, to forgive is not my policy."
Unknown

Blitzzz (RIP)
12-02-2010, 16:13
Foreboding and dark clouds are not controllable, dark moods are...Blitzzz.

Requiem
12-07-2010, 23:22
The most wasted of all days is one without laughter. -e.e. Cummings

uplink5
12-08-2010, 16:18
I read one here, just the other day. It says:

Ruckers make better F*ckers

Dang-it, I wish I knew that some time ago.....jd

hurly
12-09-2010, 13:39
Two quotes from one of my favorite authors and poets:

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains, and the women come out to cut up what remains, jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains and go to your gawd like a soldier.

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew to serve your turn long after they are gone, and so hold on when there is nothing in you except the will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

FrostyHunter
12-12-2010, 19:05
"If other eyes grow dull and other hands slack, and other hearts cold in the solemn trust, ours shall keep it well as long as the light and warmth of life remain in us."

Richard
12-12-2010, 20:17
"Never take counsel of your fears."
-- Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson (1824-1863)

plato
12-12-2010, 21:06
The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of “loyalty” and “duty.” Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute--get out of there fast. You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed.

Robert Heinlein

wet dog
12-12-2010, 21:20
Custer started to beleive his own press.

Sarski
01-25-2011, 00:59
Here are a few from Miyamoto Musashi:

"Do nothing that is of no use"

“You win battles by knowing the enemy's timing, and using a timing which the enemy does not expect.”

“To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other.”

and my favorite:

"It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Sarski
02-05-2011, 17:44
Another from Miyamoto Musashi:

"Study strategy over the years and achieve the spirit of the warrior. Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men."

MVP
02-07-2011, 12:35
"That boy is so hard on shit he could F**k up an anvil"

My uncle speaking about his son.

MVP

The Reaper
02-07-2011, 12:59
First search, then post.

TR

Sohei
02-07-2011, 13:57
This is one that I often use to teach my guys to think about what they are going to say before opening their mouths and speaking something they shouldn't and being unable to fix the mess they caused due to their "speaking before thinking."

“He who thinks by the inch and talks by the yard deserves to be kicked by the foot.” Unknown

ErikTheRed
02-07-2011, 21:49
"Shit or get off the pot."

"That boy is so confused he doesn't know wither to shit or go blind!"

"Don't park your car in someone else's garage. "

Warpath66
02-08-2011, 02:56
Paraphrased from one of my military counselors:

Any hardship you face while you are here, any struggle back home that may distract you from your job, any physical weakness that may prevent you from achieving the objective; look past it. Supplement it with a determination to succeed. And when people ask you how you surmounted all the obstacles in your way, you can make all of these difficulties as a part of your incredible story, rather than just excuses.

Sarski
02-17-2011, 23:33
"When you aim for perfection, you discover it's a moving target." - Unknown

Sohei
02-18-2011, 08:27
“Men of genius are admired, men of wealth are envied, men of power are feared; but only men of character are trusted.” Author Unknown

This short statement says it all. A team can't stand without character. The entire team concept falls apart without unit integrity firmly in place. It's one of those characteristics that I feel are going by the wayside. Today, more than ever, we need mentors that teach and instill character in the next generation of Warriors.

AMP
02-18-2011, 16:17
It is not the strongest of the species, nor the most intelligent that survive. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Dusty
02-18-2011, 17:02
Big 'possum clime li'l tree.

J.C. Harris

Warpath66
02-21-2011, 23:14
"We shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty." - John F. Kennedy

rtune02
02-23-2011, 12:20
Favorite serious...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake up in the day to find that it was vanity;
But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. -T.E. Lawrence(of Arabia)

Favorite funny
(bill has meningitis)
Rob: "How are you fellin' buddy?"
Bill: "Not so great, but i think i'll live."
Rob: "Thats good to hear, I can't have you dying on me, I need someone to look after things after I go."
Bill: "I'll look after your wife."
Rob: "...wow..."

Sarski
02-24-2011, 23:35
"One who is already wet does not feel the rain."
-Turkish Proverb

Sohei
02-25-2011, 08:40
To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle.

Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC)

In today's vernacular, "What is right isn't always popular and what's popular isn't always right".

Sarski
03-01-2011, 01:39
Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul.
-General Douglas Macarthur

Tree Potato
03-01-2011, 02:20
If I may indulge with a treasured family quote... as a child I discussed the Normandy invasion with my great uncle. Uncle Matt couldn't swim, was terrified of water, and was on two landing craft that were sunk inbound to the beach.

"Son, sometimes you have to teach yourself how to swim. In my case it wasn't pretty, but I'm here and the water ballet critics aren't."--Uncle Matt.

Sohei
03-01-2011, 08:33
Courage - a perfect sensibility of the measure of danger, and a mental willingness to endure it. -- William Tecumseh Sherman

It certainly speaks toward the Warrior mindset. The willingness to not quit when your body wants to.

Sarski
03-08-2011, 00:07
"The secret of discipline is motivation. When a man is sufficiently motivated, discipline will take care of itself."
-Sir Alexander Paterson

Sarski
03-14-2011, 21:46
"Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish."

-John Quincy Adams

lksteve
03-15-2011, 06:36
"Keep moving or we will throw dirt on you..."
Birthday wishes from Stephen Parker, PLS.

Sohei
03-15-2011, 07:31
“Courage is contagious. When a brave man takes a stand, the spines of others are often stiffened.” -- Billy Graham

cat in the hat
03-18-2011, 08:12
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. (R.A. Heinlein)

kind of reminds me of some people around here

Box
03-18-2011, 10:01
"Reload..."

scooter
03-18-2011, 16:29
Your best? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f**k the prom queen.

Sean Connery

Dusty
03-18-2011, 16:39
"You better stop! Or else! I've been bullied before!"

A certain world leader to a certain world leader.

glebo
03-18-2011, 16:58
"I can jump in the middle of you , kill half of ya before you knew what the fuck was going on".......

Welcome speech in the JFK auditorium in I think Jul 82, by Maj Bob Howard just before loading on the cattle cars to go to Mackall for PH I......yeah, made me feel welcome.

I was a new buck SGT from 82d....wondering....WTF did I get myself into???

I found out....

oh what fun.......

Jefe
03-21-2011, 14:40
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares inevitably wind up plowing for people with Swords"

Me, after about 10 Labatt's Blues....

glebo
03-21-2011, 15:02
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares inevitably wind up plowing for people with Swords"

Me, after about 10 Labatt's Blues....

Your Labatts wisdom is strong in you....I sense:D

Merc78
03-21-2011, 18:30
There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
Ernest Hemingway

MVP
03-23-2011, 12:43
"Hurry up before I give you a dollar" - Grandpa

lksteve
03-23-2011, 21:19
Today, I found out what it was like to be a proctologist. Had to work with assholes all day.

Snaquebite
03-23-2011, 21:36
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Sohei
03-24-2011, 10:45
If you knew you were going to be in the fight of your life today, would you have trained harder yesterday?" -- Unknown

Hooligan
03-26-2011, 12:41
I came into work with a headache today, and mentioned that I was heading down to the nurses station to pick up some asprin.
One of the guys on the outgoing shift who just turned 20 in Feb. said to me..."You know..In my years of experience I've found that pain can be ignored....":D
I was laughing the whole way down to policing up my asprin..

Blind Eye
03-30-2011, 21:59
"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself"

- D.H. Lawrence

logisticsclerk
03-31-2011, 07:50
"The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person's determination."

Tommy Lasorda

TKim
04-02-2011, 12:27
Viktor Frankl from Man's Search for Meaning:
Ultimately, man should not ask what the meaning of his life is, but rather he must recognize that it is he who is asked.

Ever more people today have the means to live, but no meaning to live for.

Everything can be taken from a man or a woman but one thing: the last of human freedoms to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.
----

Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. - Aristotle

Warpath66
04-03-2011, 00:22
"The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced." - Abraham Lincoln

The best speeches need no further explanation.
http://showcase.netins.net/web/creative/lincoln/speeches/gettysburg.htm

DevilSide
04-11-2011, 20:14
you will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.

Razor
04-15-2011, 14:24
One of the guys on the outgoing shift who just turned 20 in Feb. said to me..."You know..In my years of experience I've found that pain can be ignored..."

So I kneed him hard in his junk, and asked him if he wanted me to pick up a couple aspiring for him.

CDG
04-15-2011, 14:59
Live right so when it comes your time to die,
you will not be like those whose hearts are filled with
the fear of death, who weep and pray for a little more
time to live their lives over again in a different way.

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

-Tecumseh

Noslack71
04-15-2011, 22:21
" Truth is a demure lady, much to lady like to knock you on the head and drag you to her cave. She is there, but the people must want her and seek her out."
- William F. Buckley, Jr.

"Fine friendship requires duration rather than fitful intensity."
-Aristotle-

" It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult."
-Seneca-

Best Regards

Noslack

Susa
04-15-2011, 22:32
"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are.
I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them."
- George Bernard Shaw

33army
04-27-2011, 08:20
Not sure where it came from but it helps me every time I feel like stopping:

"I do it because I can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldn’t"

A few more that motivate me:

"I'm not telling you its going to be easy, but I'm saying it will be worth"

"It's a lifestyle - train like there's no finish line."

"Only the weak attempts to accomplish what he knows he can already achieve." - Stella Juarez

Sohei
04-27-2011, 08:40
The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men, the conviction and the will to carry on.~Walter Lippman

This speaks to the legacy left behind by many great leaders. While many of them are gone and many are still here, we continue to find ourselves striving to live up to the standards they previously set before us.

Sarski
04-28-2011, 20:39
"Manners are not idle but the fruit of loyal nature and noble mind."
Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Susa
05-02-2011, 00:11
"Whether we bring our enemies to justice, or justice to our enemies, justice will be done. "

"We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail."

"On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions, who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait, and waiting--died"

-George W. Cecil

Requiem
05-02-2011, 21:42
The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil Constitution, are worth defending at all hazards; and it is our duty to defend them against all attacks. It will bring an everlasting mark of infamy on the present generation, enlightened as it is, if we should suffer them to be wrested from us by violence without a struggle, or to be cheated out of them by the artifices of false and designing men. - Samuel Adams

BenL
05-25-2011, 10:16
It may sound corny, but I get my highest inspiration from my heroes. These quotes exemplify what I admire and try to emulate in a hero.

"The characteristic of genuine heroism is persistency. All men have wandering impulses, fits and starts of generosity. But when you have resolved to be great, abide by yourself, and do not weakly try to reconcile yourself with the world. The heroic cannot be the common, nor the common the heroic."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"The beauty of the soul shines out when a man bears with composure one heavy mischance after another, not because he does not feel them, but because he is a man of high and heroic temper."
- Aristotle

jero
05-30-2011, 09:27
Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it -Prefontaine

"Resolve is a breeze when one’s commitment has never been tested. It is when the fear, chaos, and stress of a crisis hits that true resolve is revealed."

Team Sergeant
05-30-2011, 10:15
"These are Sparta's walls."

When asked why Sparta lacked fortifications, King Agesilaus' pointed to his men.

Team Sergeant
05-30-2011, 10:20
This forum is "The Bear Pit" it deals with "Mindset", a warriors mindset.

If your post is now missing it's because it had nothing to do with that mindset.

Team Sergeant

Dusty
05-30-2011, 10:54
Carlos (Hatchcock) recalled, "My Daddy told me a long time ago, when I was a little feller, he said, 'Son, there is no such word as 'can't'. Some things are a little harder to accomplish than others, but the word 'can't' does not stay in my vocabulary. Don't let it stay in yours.' And, since then, I've used the same thing. There's no such word as 'can't' - and my guys quit using it too. They'd say, 'but, Gunny, I can't do that,' and I'd say 'WHAT?? What was that four-letter word?' If they used it again, they'd be doing push-ups all day. There is NOTHING you cannot do."

SpikedBuck
05-30-2011, 11:04
"Its not the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog..." -COL J. Moroney

What the Bulldog used to tell me when I was weak and sniveling...

Actual quote is from Mark Twain: "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

GratefulCitizen
05-30-2011, 13:51
Concerning doubters and scoffers.

When someone says: "You can't do that!"
What they really mean is: "I can't do that."

tom kelly
06-02-2011, 08:32
1. Whiskey makes you think you are smarter than you really are?

2. Don't run out of ammunition in a gun fight?

3: Reload when you want to; Not when you have to?

Advice from Team Sgt. Richard E Pegram Det. A-333 June,1964.

33army
06-03-2011, 08:14
You usually think of at least a hundred reasons why you should stop. But there is only one reason why you should keep going.

Peteyboy
06-06-2011, 14:10
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

219seminole
06-06-2011, 17:48
On 5 June 1944, Gen Eisenhower penciled a note of responsibility should the Normandy invasion fail.

Our landings in the Cherbourg-Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops. My decision to attack at this time and place was based upon the best information available. The troops, the air [force] and the navy did all that bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt, it is mine alone.

Who today among our leaders would do such a thing, and do it with eloquence and brevity?

Snaquebite
06-06-2011, 18:00
“The self-confidence of the warrior is not the self-confidence of the average man. The average man seeks certainty in the eyes of the onlooker and calls that self-confidence. The warrior seeks impeccability in his own eyes and calls that humbleness. The average man is hooked to his fellow men, while the warrior is hooked only to infinity.” Carlos Cansteneda

Peteyboy
06-09-2011, 18:54
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
-Ronald Reagan

Stedfast
06-20-2011, 20:57
"Gentlemen," said Washington, "you will permit me to put on my spectacles, for I have not only grown gray but almost blind in the service of my country." G. Washington
Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way.
- General George Patton Jr

Sohei
07-08-2011, 13:10
"The courage of the soldier is heightened by the knowledge of his profession." -- Flavius Vegetius Renatus

weberk
07-15-2011, 18:10
My center gives way, my right is pushed back. Situation excellent, I am attacking- Ferdinand Foch

ObliqueApproach
07-23-2011, 14:30
"But until I’m a little older, I’ll just keep my mouth shut and my rucksack on."

Good advice! :lifter

TGOM
08-09-2011, 02:23
You need to be mentally prepared to prefer dying on pain rather than losing. -Bart Gordon

What you need to realize is that it is just a feeling. Feelings shouldn't get in the way of what you ought to be doing.
-George Malley on tiredness (mostly a paraphrase)

Ambrose
10-17-2011, 21:46
“A king does not abide within his tent while his men bleed and die upon the field. A king does not dine while his men go hungry, nor sleep when they stand at watch upon the wall. A king does not command his men’s loyalty through fear nor purchase it with gold; he earns their love by the sweat of his own back and the pains he endures for their sake. That which comprises the harshest burden, a king lifts first and sets down last. A king does not require service of those he leads but provides it to them. He serves them, not they him.”

Steven Pressfield: Gates of Fire

I won't make a habit of posting often.

Susa
11-10-2011, 12:16
"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit."
- From a plaque that was on President Reagan's desk

Team Sergeant
11-10-2011, 13:17
Saw this the other day and liked it:

"WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL ME…HAD BETTER START RUNNING"

Dusty
11-10-2011, 13:35
"Big 'possum clime li'l tree."

Uncle Remus

deepheart
11-12-2011, 18:50
"Listen to me, boy. Only gods and heroes can be brave in isolation. A man may call upon courage only one way, in the ranks with his brothers-in-arms, the line of his tribe and his city. Most piteous of all states under heaven is that of a man alone, bereft of the gods of his home and his polis." Excerpt from the novel Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield

deepheart
11-13-2011, 07:45
"...But for the warrior, the seasons are not marked by these sweet measures nor by the calendared years themselves, but by the battles. Campaigns fought and comrades lost; trials of death survived. Clashes and conflicts from which time effaces all superficial recall, leaving only the fields themselves and their names, which achieve in the warrior's memory a stature ennobled beyond all other modes of commemoration, purchased with the holy coin of blood and paid for with the lives of beloved brothers-in-arms. As the priest with his graphis and tablet of wax, the infantryman, too, has his scription. His history is carved upon his person with the stylus of steel, his alphabet engraved with spear and sword indelibly upon his flesh."

---Dienekes
Gates of Fire

Warpath66
11-15-2011, 17:12
"The price of ridding society of bad is always high" - Richard Helms

Sarski
11-20-2011, 11:20
“The important thing in strategy is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions”

Miyamoto Musashi

tom kelly
11-23-2011, 12:44
A man always has two good reasons for doing anything--- a good reason, and the real reason. Special Forces does things for the right reason.

SGM. Richard E. Pegram
U S Army Special Forces
KIA. 8/23/1968 Vietnam

greenberetTFS
11-23-2011, 13:43
Gone but not forgotten...

SGM. Richard E. Pegram
U S Army Special Forces
KIA. 8/23/1968 Vietnam

God Bless,Rest in Peace Warrior...........:(

He was just a simple soldier and his ranks are growing thin
But his presence should remind us; we may need his like again,
For when countries are in conflict, then we find the soldier's part
Is to clean up all the troubles that the politicians start.
If we cannot do him honor while he's here to hear the praise,
Then at least let's give him homage at the ending of his days.........:(.

Perhaps just a simple headline in the paper that might say:
OUR COUNTRY IS IN MOURNING, FOR A SOLDIER DIED TODAY. (author unknown)

The passing of our soldiers often go unnoticed and unsung by most of the world, remembered only by family and friends. Wish it were not so. May he RIP, his family will be in my thoughts and prayers.........:(

I realize it's a Canadian song,however I believe most appropriate for this occasion...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrkgV5bl7kQ

Big Teddy

33army
12-29-2011, 08:09
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born and the day you figure out why.

average321
12-30-2011, 00:21
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Dozer523
12-30-2011, 05:18
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill

Requiem
01-06-2012, 20:53
“America must remain freedom's staunchest friend, for freedom is our best ally and it is the world's only hope to conquer poverty and preserve peace.” – Ronald Reagan

frostfire
05-18-2012, 21:20
The greater the struggle, the more glorious the triumph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p98KAEif3bI

Damocles
05-20-2012, 12:19
A man at his best. You are not so born. Strive daily to develop yourself in your person, in your calling, until perfection is attained: the fullness of your every gift, of your every faculty. You will know it in the improvement of your taste, in the clarification of your thinking, in the maturity of your judgement, in the control of your will. Some never attain the perfect, something always being lacking, and others are late in coming to themselves. The man complete, wise in speech, wise in action, is admitted, yea, he is welcomed into that rare fellowship of those who understand.
Baltasar Gracian

The world cries out for such: he is needed and needed badly - the man who can carry a message to Garcia.
Elbert Hubbard, A Message to Garcia

Sarski
05-28-2012, 01:13
The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten.

Calvin Coolidge

frostfire
05-29-2012, 02:26
Once more into the fray
Into the last good fight I'll ever know
Live and die on this day
Live and die on this day

From The Grey. Since folks here are fond of FOG slugging it out with grizzly bear, wolves, giant spider :D etc., I highly recommend the flick. The poem would make total sense then

33army
05-29-2012, 13:46
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. – Arthur C. Clarke

It was a high counsel that I once heard given to a young person, “Always do what you are afraid to do.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sohei
05-29-2012, 13:53
“Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires courage.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Requiem
06-20-2012, 15:17
"It is most usually the stupid and ambitious, rather than the virtuous and wise, who seek and try to assume high office." Marsilius of Padua (14th century political philosopher)

Sarski
08-08-2012, 11:18
"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved."

-Sun Tzu

Dusty
08-08-2012, 13:45
"I did wut?" Randy Travis

Sarski
08-23-2012, 09:59
Psalms 18:31-36 For who is God, but the LORD? And who is a rock, except our God?—the God who equipped me with strength and made my way blameless. He made my feet like the feet of a deer and set me secure on the heights. He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze. You have given me the shield of your salvation, and your right hand supported me, and your gentleness made me great. You gave a wide place for my steps under me, and my feet did not slip.

RIP greenberetTFS (Big Teddy)

33army
08-31-2012, 07:31
I heard this recently in a briefing exercise. I think it is one of the best quotes on mindset I have ever heard.

"Everyone says, Failure is not an option. It's quite the contrary, failure is ALWAYS and ever present option. There is always that chance of failure. FEAR is never an option. If you fear to attempt, then you will never succeed...or fail. Do not let fear paralyze you. Failure is always an option, Fear is not." - Anonymous source

Richard
08-31-2012, 07:56
Whenever a bird s***s on my car, I eat a plate of scrambled eggs out on my front porch just to show the little bastards what I am capable of if they really piss me off.

Richard :munchin

Wyatt7
04-22-2013, 13:13
"I was surrounded, so I attacked" - Erwin Rommel

Dusty
04-22-2013, 14:13

:cool: I like it.

That reminds me of the one everybody's heard a million times from Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver.

"I've got 'em right where I want 'em - surrounded from the inside."

BKKMAN
04-22-2013, 18:43
Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labor-saving device in the face of complexity. H.L. Gates

saquanem
05-27-2013, 02:37
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."-Gen James 'Mad Dog' Mattis

BryanK
05-27-2013, 21:04
"Hind sight is 20/20 when your staring at the ass-end of a winning horse" - Lifelong friend of mine

booker
05-28-2013, 06:36
"Hind sight is 20/20 when your staring at the ass-end of a winning horse" - Lifelong friend of mine

Excellent! I'm using this one.

MKelly
11-07-2013, 18:50
The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first and love of soft living and the get-rich-quick theory of life.” Teddy Roosevelt.

Box
11-07-2013, 20:39
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet"

-Abe Lincoln

122418b
12-01-2013, 21:14
" Hard times don't last, hard people do." Unknown.

Trapper John
12-01-2013, 21:39

And the corollary: "I have 'em right where I want 'em - surrounded from the inside." - Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver.

RIP Brother <Salute>

Scimitar
12-02-2013, 03:01
Here's one I use it in my leadership team training days.

Plans are worthless, but planning is everything.

President Dwight Eisenhower - November 14, 1957

baba85
12-05-2013, 05:09
"Learn what you need for your life! Do not walk bowed and hunched, walk upright like free people! Walk with your head held high but never rise above others! Walk with sharp mind and a hot heart! Walk with more joy than the elders were able to walk through their lives with, for you are freer than all who lived before you, on our soil, ever were!"

Georg Leber "Father of soldiers" 7 October 1920 – 21 August 2012
Federal Minister of Defence 1972 - 1978
From his speech held during the celebration of the 20th anniversary of the universities of the German Federal Armed Forces in 1993

SPEC4
12-05-2013, 15:39
"And what would you do with a brain, if you had one ? " Dorothy, Wizard of Oz. :D

Snaquebite
12-05-2013, 16:20
" Nothing is more dangerous than and NCO or Officer who has been taught a technique or method, but doesn't understand the underlying principles or the "why" behind it." (MtnGoat, QP)

Monsoon65
12-05-2013, 17:18
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet"

-Abe Lincoln

Actually, I believe that Thomas Jefferson said that. ;)

Dusty
12-05-2013, 17:46
"If you like your shovel-ready job, you can keep it."

King Pinnocchio

frostfire
12-07-2013, 17:09
"In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, in that very moment I also love him. I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves"
~A.E. Wiggins (Orson Scott Card)

The power of empathy....

JHD
12-08-2013, 05:12
"If you like your shovel-ready job, you can keep it."

King Pinnocchio

I have been so busy, I haven't been reading the site in about a month. I missed you, Dusty.:)

echoes
12-08-2013, 11:18
I have been so busy, I haven't been reading the site in about a month. I missed you, Dusty.:)

Good to see you JHD! Check your PM's!

While I don't have an answer to your question I do know this, the day physical conflict arises between sheepdog and shepherd, the shepherd will rue the day he meddled with the sheepdogs duties & sworn obligations.

And while one sheepdog may not be of any concern of the shepherd, twenty, united, would rock his world, two hundred would change the way he views it and two thousand sheepdogs would change the history of the world.

And this is my pick for quote of the day! Chef's are very, very wise sometimes!

Outstading post, IMVHO!:lifter

Holly

MR2
12-08-2013, 11:32
And while one sheepdog may not be of any concern of the shepherd, twenty, united, would rock his world, two hundred would change the way he views it and two thousand sheepdogs would change the history of the world.

And this is my pick for quote of the day! Chef's are very, very wise sometimes!

Outstading post, IMVHO!:lifter

Holly

+1

therunningwolf
12-10-2013, 22:12
"We do not grow from our successes, but from our failures."

Kasik
05-11-2014, 10:03
"This place sucks! Let's live here!":boohoo

Box
05-11-2014, 11:12
"Dude, this was like, two years ago..."

JHD
05-28-2014, 11:30
I was thinking of two that really resonated with me lately.

Life must be learned backwards, but lived forward.

And

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles, but empties today of its strength.

sinjefe
05-28-2014, 11:58
"Were you born a fat, slimy, scumbag, puke, piece o' shit, Private Pyle, or did you have to work on it?" - Gunnery Sgt Hartman, Full Metal Jacket

Guymullins
05-28-2014, 14:06
This is probably the funniest quote from WW2. William Ash, the American pilot who flew Spitfires for the RAF and became a serial escaper when shot down, tried escaping many times. The one time he nearly succeeded was when he made it to the sea but was too weak to launch a stolen boat. He decided to ask for help and walked up to a crowd of men in a field. They replied,(I must do this in a German accent to get the full effect) "Vee vould luff to help you, but vee are Sherman soldiers, ant you are shtandink on our cabbages." Ash has just died at age 96 and was the inspiration for the Steve McQueen character in the Great Escape.

GratefulCitizen
05-28-2014, 20:43
Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles, but empties today of its strength.

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

letinsh
06-10-2014, 13:07
If you look around the room and you’re the smartest person in the room, then you’re in the wrong room.
-Lorne Michaels

Debo
06-10-2014, 13:25
Nice one Letinsch.

D.

letinsh
06-10-2014, 13:30
Nice one Letinsch.

D.

You would think that, as often as you miss-spell my name, you would just resort to copying and pasting it... :D :p

Box
06-10-2014, 13:32
No more pralines and cream? What the fuck?

Seperate incident, but messhall related and possibly MUCH funnier was this simple statement from an O-6 aimed squarely at a young captain at a nice little spot near Kabul

"GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY MESSHALL"

cat in the hat
06-11-2014, 02:56
our new slogan here is

"Mentoring at the speed of apathy"

Sdiver
07-11-2014, 22:09
If ever the Time should come, when vain & aspiring Men shall possess the highest Seats in Government, our Country will stand in Need of its experienced Patriots to prevent its Ruin. There may be more Danger of this, than some, even of our well disposed Citizens may imagine.

If the People should grant their Suffrages to Men, only because they conceive them to have been Friends to the Country, without Regard to the necessary Qualifications for the Places they are to fill, the Administration of Government will become a mere Farce, and our pub-lick Affairs will never be put on the Footing of solid Security.

We should inquire into the Tempers of Men, in order to form a Judgment in what Manner the public Trusts to be reposed in them will be executed.

When we formerly had weak and wicked Governors & Magistrates, it was our Misfortune; but for the future, while we enjoy and exercise the inestimable Right of choosing them ourselves, it will be our Disgrace.

I hope our Countrymen will always keep a watchful Eye over the public Conduct of those whom they exalt to Power, making at the same time every just Allowance for the Imperfections of human Nature; and I pray God we may never see Men filling the sacred Seats of Government, who are either wanting in adequate Abilities, or influenced by any Views Motives or Feelings separate from the public Welfare.

Samuel Adams, to James Warren, 1780

Scimitar
07-11-2014, 23:37
If you look around the room and you’re the smartest person in the room, then you’re in the wrong room.
-Lorne Michaels

I had a buddy, 99th % 145 IQ kinda stuff...who was selected SFAS. I spoke to him via phone after he had been in Q for a few months. His statement.

You know what dude, I'm no longer special, around here, I'm average, you don't know how good that feels.

S

Box
07-12-2014, 02:50
...my new number one favorite funniest quote of all time.

"I'm not interested in photo-ops"

Barack Hussien Obama - July 2014

EnderWiggin
10-29-2014, 12:44
Glad I found this thread - I'm a quote/historic speech geek. Here's one that's been on my mind this week after seeing it on another forum:

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible."
-T. E. Lawrence

EnderWiggin
11-04-2014, 17:27
This speech (http://www.bartleby.com/58/1.html) has been in my thoughts this week, particularly the intro, copied below.

"I wish to preach, not the doctrine of ignoble ease, but the doctrine of the strenuous life, the life of toil and effort, of labor and strife; to preach that highest form of success which comes, not to the man who desires mere easy peace, but to the man who does not shrink from danger, from hardship, or from bitter toil, and who out of these wins the splendid ultimate triumph."
- Theodore Roosevelt

EnderWiggin
11-10-2014, 14:28
"You ask, What is our policy? I will say; ‘It is to wage war, by sea, land and air, with all our might and with all the strength that God can give us: to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy.’ You ask, What is our aim? I can answer with one word: Victory—victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
- Churchill

EnderWiggin
12-01-2014, 13:36
"Power is not an institution, and not a structure; neither is it a certain strength we are endowed with; it is the name that one attributes to a complex strategical situation in a particular society."
- Michel Foucault

letinsh
12-09-2014, 08:46
There is no such thing as perfect security, only varying levels of insecurity.
-Salman Rushdie

EnderWiggin
12-09-2014, 12:52
"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you."
- Nietzsche

twistedsquid
01-01-2015, 10:16
I love these two and refer to them often;

"Wars are caused by undefended wealth". Ernest Hemingway

And;

"I found the crown of France lying on the ground, and I picked it up with a sword".
Napoleon Bonaparte

Dreamer
01-06-2015, 09:36
"Only those are fit to live who are not afraid to die."

Douglas MacArthur

Bladeenthusiast
01-06-2015, 10:51
Good for you, you have a heart, you can be a liberal. Now, couple your heart with your brain, and you can be a conservative. ~Glenn Beck :lifter

Ret10Echo
01-20-2015, 06:35
9mm = A .45 set to stun.

Team Sergeant 1/19

{just made me chuckle}

MR2
03-14-2015, 22:59
Evil and madness are not synonyms. Societies that cannot distinguish between the two are destined to get more of both. - Jonah Goldberg

Lionshare
03-14-2015, 23:44

G Wheeler II
03-15-2015, 06:57
Never Say Whoa in a Mud hole

Team Sergeant
03-15-2015, 11:15
Never Say Whoa in a Mud hole

LOL, I like it!

twistedsquid
04-05-2015, 19:52
"One of the greatest delusions in this world is that the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation". Thomas B. Reed

therunningwolf
04-09-2015, 23:16
"Stop telling me about the storms at sea, just bring the ship into port."

Flagg
04-10-2015, 11:50
"Everyone has a plan 'til they get punched in the mouth."

Mike Tyson

MR2
04-16-2015, 10:47
When someone tells me how difficult a certain task is I usually reply:"Do it while being shot at then tell me how tough it is....."

People make their own stress... if it doesn't involve life or limb consider it small stuff. (And don't sweat the small stuff.)

- some Team Sergeant

mark46th
04-27-2015, 15:58
"Calling Al Sharpton a Reverend is like calling Jeffrey Dahmer a chef." Unknown

G Wheeler II
04-30-2015, 06:54
Truisms about most politicians.....

!. They are so crooked they have to screw their sox on in the morning.

2. Their left hand does not trust their right hand.

3. #1 They lying because their lips are moving.

:eek::(:D:munchin

Golf1echo
12-06-2015, 23:21
"The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools." -- Thucydides, 410 BCE

Guymullins
12-07-2015, 03:29
With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil — that takes religion.
Steven Weinberg

Ret10Echo
12-10-2015, 07:53
The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down. - Clint Smith

rubberneck
12-10-2015, 09:53
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

"Life is a cruel teacher. She's gives you the test first and the lesson later." Vernon Law

Dusty
12-10-2015, 12:01
"I give the enemy PTSD." - TS

(I know. I've posted that before, but I get a kick out of it.)

PedOncoDoc
12-23-2015, 12:11
A great quote describing Hitlery Clinton: "...a woman who enabled a guy who turned the Oval Office into a frat house and his intern into a humidor.”
(http://dailycaller.com/2015/12/22/cnn-anchor-ends-segment-early-after-guest-says-bill-clinton-turned-monica-lewinsky-into-a-humidor-video/)

Schlichter did good in this interview. :D

mark46th
12-23-2015, 14:56
Now that is funny, Doc.

mark46th
02-08-2016, 15:11
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”
― C.S. Lewis

I really like the the term "...Moral Busybodies." If anything describes liberals today, Moral Busybodies does...

Dusty
02-09-2016, 07:02
We are witnessing a great awakening. Millions of Texans, millions of Americans are rising up to reclaim our country, to defend liberty and to restore the Constitution.

Ted Cruz

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/ted_cruz.html#wTVfe22zgYRjIml3.99

Badger52
02-09-2016, 16:36
I really like the the term "...Moral Busybodies." If anything describes liberals today, Moral Busybodies does...Concur; I dislike the term Social Justice Warrior for it implies at least the potential of something that is clearly missing. Moral Busybodies, as in:

"Don't you think that matches up nicely with my other current favorite word, you irrelevant moral busybody?"
or
"You moral busybodies are so dense you're like a walking event horizon."

Yup, that's a keeper.
:cool:

Team Sergeant
02-12-2016, 17:37
The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down. - Clint Smith

Seriously, you quoted clint smith on here? :rolleyes:

clint smith never fought in close quarters I'd guess.

clint smith of thunder ranch is an idiot and a sellout (glock).

JJ_BPK
03-11-2022, 06:30
“There is no avoiding war, it can only be postponed to the advantage of your enemy.”

"And to the detriment of our children."

:mad:

Box
03-11-2022, 10:13
“They couldn’t hit an elephant at this dist—”

— John Sedgwick, general of the Union Army (as he was shot mid-sentence)