PDA

View Full Version : Some new ones I just finished

CRUSADERSTEEL
05-23-2010, 21:26
Here's a few knives I just finished. The pair you see is a Father and Son set at the request of one of the Team Sergeants in my Co. It was really cool that he wanted one of MY knives for his now infant son. It really made the whole thing special and put a lot more pressure on the project but I was honored to do it.
The Tanto or Ma'Tanto (named after the guy who ordered it) was by far the toughest knife design ever. He asked for a tanto but I wanted to do something different and unique. DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO DESIGN A TANTO THAT HASNT BEEN DONE?!! Heck I dont know if someone has a blade profile like the one I have, if they do I have never seen it. It was 3-4 hours trying to draw that thing up and forest of trees.
Understand I dont claim anything. Dont claim to be some great knifemaker as I am not. Just recently found this addiction and have been lucky enough to get advice from some great guys like my friend Bill Harsey. Yep just named dropped and if youre gonna drop a name, mind as well be one of the greatest knifemakers. I havnt posted any knives on here (although one of my team mates did. Bravo Smash. That was my 3rd knife). I have been reluctant to post anything on the same site as Bill Harsey.
But here are a few I believe these are my 7,8, and 9th knives. I happily take comments, advice, and criticism. Enjoy, and for a few people out there that care. Wait till you see the new and improved Bravo-Smash. Enjoy. The Pair are 1095 differentially heat treated and the Ma'tanto is 440C properly heat treated and sub zero quenched. The sheath you see is m second attempt at kydex. It looks fine but it admittedly rubs a little more than it should. Well, Enjoy.

Bill Harsey
05-23-2010, 21:49
CRUSADERSTEEL,
Good to have you here and again, Thanks for coming down to the shop a while ago and spending some time. It was fun too.

This knifemaking is a continual growth thing so don't fret the small stuff, your knives already look better than my first bunches of dozens.

I'm proud of you for spending the time and energy to come up with your own patterns as that has never been easy for me.
Your grinds are looking better than just a while back...well done.

CRUSADERSTEEL
05-23-2010, 22:02
Thanks Bill,

I cant tell you the confidence it gives me to know if I have a question or issue you have my six. I am getting in as much time at the grinder as can between work and family. My wife is really supportive. I dont know how she puts up with me banging in the garage till the wee hours but she does. Hey Bill thanks again for everything. Have a good time at the BladeShow and say hi to Mark for me. Maybe Next year I can pay you to come hang out at MY table!?? Ha we'll see.

mcarey
05-24-2010, 09:38
Those blades are looking better than your last. Practice makes you better everytime. All the best, Mark

x SF med
05-24-2010, 13:38
I've been told not to call you Opie anymore...:mad:
You're still ugly and your mother dresses you funny - but those are some good looking knives... I owe you seared animal flesh, when are you going to collect?

CRUSADERSTEEL
05-24-2010, 16:20
XSFMED,
You can still call me Opie.. No Big deal. The thing is I just dont get the correlation. I am Blonde and white not a Ginger. I don have red hair, freckles, or big ears. Now if you called me Powder, ghost, daywalker, albino gorrilla (all of which have been used in the past Ha!!)... those I get.

CRUSADERSTEEL
05-24-2010, 16:22
Thanks MCarey,

Man I am excited to hear about Blade Show when you guys get back. I am thinking you might have to extend a limited edition! Good Stuff!

LibraryLady
05-24-2010, 21:27
XSFMED,
You can still call me Opie.. No Big deal. The thing is I just dont get the correlation. I am Blonde and white not a Ginger. I don have red hair, freckles, or big ears. Now if you called me Powder, ghost, daywalker, albino gorrilla (all of which have been used in the past Ha!!)... those I get.

It's the attitude, the face, and the walk. And HH6 has got the Ginger thing going for ya. ;) I can spot you guys clear across a crowded Knife show, you by your walk and her by that hair.

I'm digging that Tanto. What's the length? Overall and blade? Why did you choose the serrate the forward edge?

LL

CRUSADERSTEEL
05-25-2010, 00:49
Ha ... HH6 is a little ginger,ha ha. I still want her to sit and watch the southpark episode about Gingers. Unfortunately she hates all that is funny IE Southpark, Family Guy.. etc.

I didnt understand your question about the serration. The tanto isnt serrated or did you mean why didnt I serrate the edge....? To be honest the guy that ordered it asked for the first third of the blade to be serrated but I havnt done serrations and wasnt too confident that I could do it and make it look nice and I told him so. My opinion (and I am sure I am kicking a hornets nest with this one) I am not a fan of serrations. They have their place and uses but I honesty think most companies (not talking high end like CRK or most custom makers) put serrations on thier knives because they know the knife int going to stay sharp. Thats just my opinion.

Combat Diver
05-25-2010, 01:01
crusadersteel,

Blades look real nice, outstanding job.

CD

LibraryLady
05-25-2010, 10:56
... I didnt understand your question about the serration...

K. Check. Make sure to look at pics of sharp pointy things while sober AND wearing glasses. :rolleyes: These old eyes thought you'd serrated the forward edge. :o

Other q - what's the length?

LL

BRAVO-SMASH
05-26-2010, 09:54
Wow, those are slick CS. I just had grass put in my backyard so now you may have to show these new tools off over some beer and steak. They keep looking better and better. Keep it up!
-Bravo-Smash

CRUSADERSTEEL
05-26-2010, 20:34
Well, I am not the greatest photographer in the world thats for sure. I lost about half he pics I took to the blur monster. The blade length on the tanto is 3.5" about 8" overall. The other two have about a 5.75" blade about 12" overall.

CRUSADERSTEEL
05-26-2010, 20:36
Yeah B-S we'll have to get together again. Got some grass huh? I was starting to really like the moonscape.

x SF med
05-27-2010, 12:36
B-S, CS... steel, Grills and libations... I'm in. CS, let B-S know the date. I'll bring my sharpening gear.

CRUSADERSTEEL
05-28-2010, 00:23
Just finished Heat Treat and have 2 in Cryo right now!! B-S youre gonna like these. I didnt change much. Improved the handle mainly and these 2 happen to be 440C. I have about the next 30 hours before I get on a plane to get both of these done. I will do my best to post pics.

BRAVO-SMASH
05-28-2010, 00:32
Just finished Heat Treat and have 2 in Cryo right now!! B-S youre gonna like these. I didnt change much. Improved the handle mainly and these 2 happen to be 440C. I have about the next 30 hours before I get on a plane to get both of these done. I will do my best to post pics.

Well, don't slip and fall on your knife trying to hurry:D. By the way, all these numbers and "knifesmith terms" are confusing me:confused:... Gotta keep at bravo level.

CRUSADERSTEEL
05-28-2010, 00:44
Ha .. sorry BS I heat treated them and the stuck them in acetone with bunch of dry ice cause I am too cheap to buy a nitrogen dewar thats over 100 bucks ha! The subzero quench better transforms the steel and will get (depending on which book your reading) 10-20% better edge retention. I am sure there are some folks out there that can articulate it a little better than I.

BRAVO-SMASH
05-28-2010, 00:51
GOT IT! So when you going to let me grind (break) steel:munchin?

CRUSADERSTEEL
05-28-2010, 00:54
Oh and the 440C is just a high carbon stainless. Bill has a great steel tutorial at the top of the forum. You should check it out. He breaks it down and explains it in terms even knuckle draggers like us can understand and I have a few books I think you'll like I will bring to work and you can borrow. If I dont get them back it of course will be reflected on the NCOER I owe you!

CRUSADERSTEEL
05-28-2010, 00:59
Well.. honestly you can come over tomorrow I will be out there all day finishing up these two. OH.. as a matter of fact you guys should come over. Bummer is making home made Ice cream Mike's wife is coming over cause she has never had any and she just wanted to hang out.. So if youre free and would like to the offer is there.

CRUSADERSTEEL
05-28-2010, 16:40
This lil guy almost got away without getting it's picture taken. I had a bunch of issues with this knife from material being out of stock to when I went to heat treat my kiln's element burnt out TWICE! We worked throuh it though. I was about a week behind schedule and I finished it at about 3am and then delivered it that morning. That was a few weeks ago... needless to say I finally got the owner to let me borrow it for a few pics.

Specs:
3/16" 440C
Heat treated and cryo

CRUSADERSTEEL
05-28-2010, 16:56
ok.. this time I will actually attach pics

BRAVO-SMASH
05-28-2010, 21:09
ok.. this time I will actually attach pics

Good God that's a mean looking knife!

CRUSADERSTEEL
05-29-2010, 03:26
Well I got them done.
Both are 3/16 440c. The multi-colored handles are designer micarta but the gray handles are Terra-tuff. I really like it. It machines MUCH better than micarta and its not supposed to be as bad on the lungs ( I think I'll stick with the respirator just in case though).I played with the grind lines a little and on the gray one wanted to see what it would look like if I pushed them a little hgher. I think its an improvement and all future ones will be done the same.
Well BS.. Here's the knife that came out of the drawing you stole from Bill Harsey!! Ha.. I am pretty sure he still plans to sue you....

BRAVO-SMASH
05-29-2010, 11:08
Well this is a fine product of inspired ideas isn't it. THIS IS YOUR BEST WORK YET! So, I have this similar knife... You want to trade:munchin?

mcarey
05-30-2010, 15:36
Definitely looking much improved! As fast as you are improving your skills you will be making show winners soon. Keep it up brother.;)

CRUSADERSTEEL
05-30-2010, 18:07
Thanks Mark,

Hey I want one of the Harsey-Spartan Knives. Put me down for one and I will send you a check.

Claemore
06-01-2010, 02:15
Very nice knives sir. Like the designs.:lifter

CRUSADERSTEEL
06-04-2010, 13:19
Thanks Claemore.

S.Gossman
06-26-2010, 11:39
Very nice looking knives.
Scott

DJ Urbanovsky
06-26-2010, 22:00
Those two most recent knives you posted... those are your tenth and eleventh pieces, yeah?

CRUSADERSTEEL
06-29-2010, 14:53
Yeah its something like that, plus or minus one.

DJ Urbanovsky
06-29-2010, 17:15
Far out, man!

You should be very proud of those. From the pics, looks like you did a really nice job on those plunges. They're nice, dished out, and swoopy. Grind lines look pretty smooth, too. I wish my first ten blades had looked that good!

Keep up the good work, bud! :D