PDA

View Full Version : M1A Help

WRMETTLER
05-23-2010, 10:42
I know there are people on this forum who are very knowledgeable about M1As. I have a problem/question that needs some advice.

I have an old Springfield M1A that is a safe queen. I have had it for over 15 years and probably shot less than 100 rds through it.
I loaned it to a client to shoot (he didn’t), and while inspecting it upon its return, noticed a crack in the receiver.
This crack is a hairline crack, un-displaced on the starboard side of the receiver at the end of the cut-out where the bolt roller locks up. There is a small chip, also, on the very outside top of the receiver.

I have intended to sell the rifle, as I never shoot it, and the money could be better used for other projects.

Can this crack be fixed?
If so, who might be the best to do it.

If not, I guess I have a new paper weight.

Thanks in advance for the advice or help.

Peregrino
05-23-2010, 11:29
Take it to a competent gunsmith and get it inspected. Magnaflux or some other "penetrating dye" test. Maybe X-ray. It may not be cracked. M1A recievers are cast, you may (finally) be noticing a defect. If it is cracked - and you can prove the number/type (reloads invalidate most warranties) of rounds fired - it might be worth contacting Springfield. They may/may not be willing to advise you. If it's unserviceable you can replace the reciever (moderately expensive but potentially worth it), sell it for parts (I'm interested, let me know what you want for it) or put it in the back of the safe and "Fugidiboutit". Just remember, it's still a firearm so use appropriate care in your disposal plans.

JJ_BPK
05-23-2010, 19:27
Use your google fu,,

Springfield uses cast & machined frames. There were problems with cracks like you describe..

You may have let the Queen sit to long to get any satisfaction, but I'm sure there are gunsmiths that can re-frame your M1A.

The imported Chinese ones also had problems, they had baddly shaped castings. So, there is a market for frames..

Good Luck..

Sinister
05-23-2010, 20:28
Seriously, contact Springfield.

If they DON'T DX it for you I'll be shocked.

Iraqgunz
05-25-2010, 08:01
I purchased a Springfield SOCOM II in the summer of 2007. After my first outing I noticed a crack on the right side of the stock as well as some peening on the metal. I removed the stock, sent it back, and received a new one in about 2 weeks.

The problem you described is well known with the Springfield.

MVP
06-02-2010, 14:53
There is a very interesting book (although very dry) about all the production difficulties and rifle failures of the M14 as well as the politics that led to the M14 being replaced in service. Anyone who has an interst in the M14 should read this book; The Great Rifle Controversy by Clinton Ezell.

Maybe the M1A is a better mousetrap than the M14 was but I would take an FAL or HK 91 over an M1A every time.

MVP

arizonaguide
06-02-2010, 22:40
There is a very interesting book (although very dry) about all the production difficulties and rifle failures of the M14 as well as the politics that led to the M14 being replaced in service. Anyone who has an interst in the M14 should read this book; The Great Rifle Controversy by Clinton Ezell.
Added to the MUST READ list! Thanks MVP.

WRMETTLER
06-10-2010, 21:44
An update.
I took the advice offered in response to my initial question, and called Springfield. The call resulted in a Fed Exp. Shipping number and instructions to return the rifle. I sent the rifle in the day after I called. I received it back today. A turnaround time was 9 working days.

I received a new receiver and trigger group. My original receiver was #37,xxx. The new receiver is #252,xxx. My original barrel assembly, bolt, sights and stock were returned assembled.

I’ll take it up north this weekend and see how it shoots, and then probably back into the safe for another 20 years or until my boy inherits it.

I purchased this rifle sometime around 1988-1990, and have not shot it much. I googled the crack and couldn’t find any references to a receiver crack in the area I found mine. I also was doubtful that Springfield would consider repairing/replacing the receiver because it was so old. So, I initially considered simply repairing it at my expense.

But, the experience of the people offering the advice persuaded me to contact Springfield. So, Gentlemen thanks for the suggestions. I sure profited from the forum’s experience.

I also must compliment Springfield. They have some serious customer service.