PDA

View Full Version : REI Anniversary sale

bravo22b
05-19-2010, 05:29
I wouldn't normally go out of my way to plug REI, but I got a flyer for their upcoming sale (May 21-31) and noticed a couple VERY good deals:

Garmin 60Csx GPS - $200.00 (normally $350)

JetBoil PCS stove - $64.95 (normally $90 - $100)

I'm sure that there are some other good deals, but the Garmin in particular caught my eye... I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get it, even though I just bought a Foretrex 301.

But honey, it was on sale...

Buffalobob
05-22-2010, 05:44
I guess I will trot on over there today and see if I can pick up a pair of light weight soft soled bow hunting boots for this fall.

Sigaba
05-22-2010, 20:19
Garmin 60Csx GPS - $200.00 (normally $350)Aha!

No longer will I be the low speed guy with a blank expression on his face, trying to navigate in traffic with a Thomas Guide!:o (Now, I'll be the low speed guy with a blank expression on his face, trying to navigate in traffic with a spiffy hand held GPS!):p

TAKE THAT--um, who ever is honking at me.

(Yeah, yeah. Say what you like. . .you'll beat me there, but will you find a parking space?:cool:)

akv
05-22-2010, 21:29
No longer will I be the low speed guy with a blank expression on his face, trying to navigate in traffic with a Thomas Guide! (Now, I'll be the low speed guy with a blank expression on his face, trying to navigate in traffic with a spiffy hand held GPS!)

IMHO voice assisted GPS should come in one of two varieties, the husky Lauren Bacall voice, or Mr. T " Turn Left Fool!"

I'm off to REI for a Garmin:lifter

Sigaba
05-22-2010, 22:04
IMHO voice assisted GPS should come in one of two varieties, the husky Lauren Bacall voice, or Mr. T " Turn Left Fool!"Why not Mr. T doing a Lauren Bacall impersonation? "YOU KNOW HOW TO TAKE THE NEXT OFF RAMP, DON'T YOU, STEVE?”

Or, Bacall doing a cover of Tero's hip hop classic, "Mr. T's Commandments." <<LINK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsATrU_wt5k)>> (I wouldn't, if I were you.)I'm off to REI for a Garmin:lifterCall before you go! The REI down here was out of the unit in question.

perdurabo
05-23-2010, 10:03
That's a great price for that Garmin model. Despite their newer Oregon/Colorado series units, hardcore hikers and outdoors people still swear by the 60csx. Seems like REI can barely keep them in stock, at normal prices.

You should not use Bit Torrent to obtain useful topo maps. You should pay the insane prices for the maps on CD.

Ambush Master
05-23-2010, 12:31
I've had a 60CSX for several years and I can get Sat-Lock from my LIVINGROOM and inside of a Metallic Hangar with a window!!!

As for "Voices", a friend of mine has a Garmin that is set with a Boris Karloff Voice!!! As we were driving past Arlington Cemetery, it started LAUGHING in a hideously low-guttural Vampire type laugh, and then asked, "OH GOODY-Are we going to stop at the BONE YARD?!?!?!"

This happened as we were headed for the "Get Together" before Col Howard's Service. The next day was even funnier when we actually went to Arlington!!

Later
Martin

Debo
05-23-2010, 14:02
1 day into a ten day sale and I already spent $259. I didn't even get to use my 20% off as everything I bought was already on sale. Thank goodness I already have a 60CSX and Trailrunner 405.

Trailpack for my boxer
Mountain Hardware running shirt
MSR water filter pump
Hennesy Hammock
Sea to Sky drybag

Heading back for more this week. :cool:

D.

perdurabo
05-23-2010, 14:24
I've had a 60CSX for several years and I can get Sat-Lock from my LIVINGROOM and inside of a Metallic Hangar with a window!!!

Concur, as well as under wet, heavy canopy in torrential Oregon rain, in a valley (assuming you start off with an acquired signal). Unfortunately, the 60csx only comes with a non-upgradeable Bobcat Goldthwait voice (kidding, kidding).

PSM
05-23-2010, 17:18
You should not use Bit Torrent to obtain useful topo maps. You should pay the insane prices for the maps on CD.

I use the free maps from GPS File Depot for my eTrex Vista HCx.

Pat

lindy
07-17-2010, 14:21
I just wanted to second what Pat noted above: GPS maps from GPSfilesdepot (http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/)

I downloaded free topo maps of WV, VA, and MD for my Garmin 60CS. Uploading to the unit was easy using Mapsource, which recognized the downloaded maps.