Richard
05-12-2010, 15:06
And so it goes...

Richard :munchin

On Military Awards and Perceptions of Them
Tim Hsia, NYT, 15 Apr 2010

http://www.history.army.mil/html/moh/afghanistan.html

http://www.history.army.mil/html/moh/iraq.html

http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/15/on-military-awards-and-perceptions-of-them/

AngelsSix
05-12-2010, 20:49
I hate to say this, but as a civilian now, I have come to realize that most people don't give a damn what you did in the military, nor what honors you earned. Unless, of course, you are going to work for the GOV or a contract of the GOV.

The one thing that my Sgt. told me when I went to work for the police department was: "We don't give a damn what you did in the military".

DisplacedTrojan
05-12-2010, 21:14
The author neglected to address how end of tour awards have a simple formula that effectively undermine the credibility of the entire system. E6+ in a leadership position? You will be put in for a BSM, then a percentages gets downgraded until the numbers work out. Everyone else will be put in for an ARCOM. You must provide justification for any deviation. Decent O ... BSM. Less than decent O ... ARCOM. Work as the R&R tour guide in Qatar? ... BSM.

But try to put your guy in for an impact award. One of my guys performed spectacularly one day on a mission and I couldn't even get him a CAB! I had to find a finance related success so I could at least get they guy something I knew would make it through the gauntlet of reviews. I saw the results of a BDE review board recommending a downgrade citing a change in a particular statistic as a bad thing when it was a major improvement! The disconnect absolutely astounds me. I had another guy get downgraded because "an E-5 couldn't possibly have done that." Sorry sir, I guess I shouldn't have trusting one of my studs to excel? I know what I saw, but I guess my account isn't worth jack. Another one got downgraded because it was their first award and "there's no way a first award is going to be a xyz," reality be damned.

Forgive the rant but I just hate seeing guys not being differentiated by performance. ESPECIALLY when their my guys.

Now I know I'm looking through a straw here... but that's what I see

DisplacedTrojan
05-12-2010, 21:26
... as a civilian ... most people don't give a damn what you did in the military ...

I've seen it go both ways. What seemed to make the most difference was how effectively I translated military to civilian. When I put it terms they to which they relate... it sinks in.

On a resume I might put one or two in a section with other recent recognitions. It's an interesting factoid that might spark some a side discussion during an interview. Not something I would bring up but make it available to the interviewer and you can see if they bite. It might help you learn about the interviewer and their organization. I'm still reserve and I'm not hiding that fact from an employer. I want that employee/employer relationship to withstand the future deployments.

Utah Bob
05-13-2010, 08:42
... I have come to realize that most people don't give a damn what you did in the military, nor what honors you earned..

I had figured that out by December of 1970.;)

The Reaper
05-13-2010, 09:06
I don't know.

I have had a lot of people come up to me when I was in uniform and thank me for my service, or ask me what I did in the military.

Recently passed through a couple of USOs, tons of stuff there donated to the troops by both individuals and corporations.

IMHO, the majority of Americans are good people, still love their military, and support it.

Just my .02, YMMV.

TR

Paslode
05-13-2010, 09:22
I have come to realize that most people don't give a damn what you did in the military, nor what honors you earned..

Most of the people I know respect what you do.

As for the honors you earned, aside from seeing camper shell decals, license plates, Hats and an occasional Grey Haired Biker with patches on his vest your as a whole a pretty humble lot....My Old Man had a rule, you could thank them for their service, but I wasn't to ask how they got the medal or if they killed bad guys.

Razor
05-13-2010, 13:11
I wonder if Mr. Hsia was thinking about the award of a "historic" Silver Star for doing what's expected of a combat arms NCO when he wrote the article.

Penn
05-13-2010, 13:55
I just passed through Penn Station NYC, lots of people thanking and chatting up members of NYNG's 69th Inf Troops for their service.

echoes
05-13-2010, 14:36
I don't know.

I have had a lot of people come up to me when I was in uniform and thank me for my service, or ask me what I did in the military.

Recently passed through a couple of USOs, tons of stuff there donated to the troops by both individuals and corporations.

IMHO, the majority of Americans are good people, still love their military, and support it.

Just my .02, YMMV.

TR

To ALL of you who serve or have served this great nation, please know that there are Real Americans who support you, love you, and cannot thank you enough for serving. My humble self included.

You are the ones who keep Our Nation Great!

Holly

18DWife
05-13-2010, 15:12
I don't know.

Just my .02, YMMV.

TR

Experienced that yesterday at the BK out at Southern Pines
2 older gentleman came up to thank my husband and shake his hand( 20 mins apart ) ,which blew me away ..Actually ,made me cry a bit .
He was in uniform which is rare for him (when he is out anywhere )
Kind of renewed my faith in ppl a bit

the squid
05-13-2010, 15:37
An older man came up to me in Ryan's yesterday and asked me if I was a veteran. I was a bit uncomfortable with the question, seeing as how I'm now a 2LT with about six days time in grade (I don't even think I've come up to my date of rank yet), I told him yes cause I spent a few years in the Navy.

He thanked me for my service and said "Welcome home."

I told him I'd never deployed, and he said "Welcome home," all the same.

I'm grateful for the recognition, and I do realize that to most people who thank me, I am more or less representing the entire military . . . but I don't feel I've yet done anything that's rated their gratitude.

I am gracious and respectful though, all the same.

1stindoor
05-13-2010, 16:51
. . . but I don't feel I've yet done anything that's rated their gratitude.

You stepped up...granted it was initially in the Navy...but you came around. I thank all those that stepped forward and volunteered...even 2LTs.

echoes
05-13-2010, 17:42
Kind of renewed my faith in ppl a bit

Ma'am,

We around my camp cannot thank the families of those that serve enough, ever.

You all bear the burden, and I do not think that fact is spoken about enough. Please forgive my tread into any "mushy" waters, but facts are facts....
and Real Americans thank you as well!:lifter

Holly

18DWife
05-13-2010, 18:05
Ma'am,

We around my camp cannot thank the families of those that serve enough, ever.

You all bear the burden, and I do not think that fact is spoken about enough. Please forgive my tread into any "mushy" waters, but facts are facts....
and Real Americans thank you as well!:lifter

Holly

AWW <3 Thank you I will just use one heart as to not get to mushy ;)

Utah Bob
05-13-2010, 20:14
An older man came up to me in Ryan's yesterday and asked me if I was a veteran. I was a bit uncomfortable with the question, seeing as how I'm now a 2LT with about six days time in grade (I don't even think I've come up to my date of rank yet), I told him yes cause I spent a few years in the Navy.

He thanked me for my service and said "Welcome home."

I told him I'd never deployed, and he said "Welcome home," all the same.

I'm grateful for the recognition, and I do realize that to most people who thank me, I am more or less representing the entire military . . . but I don't feel I've yet done anything that's rated their gratitude.

I am gracious and respectful though, all the same.

I expect maybe that older man never got a "welcome home" himself.

the squid
05-13-2010, 20:21
I expect maybe that older man never got a "welcome home" himself.

I hadn't thought about that.

That would be the real tragedy.

the squid
05-13-2010, 20:24
You stepped up...granted it was initially in the Navy...but you came around. I thank all those that stepped forward and volunteered...even 2LTs.

And that's about the sum of my contributions as a 2LT so far. Volunteering.

:D:D

rdret1
05-14-2010, 00:04
The one thing that my Sgt. told me when I went to work for the police department was: "We don't give a damn what you did in the military".

Personally, that tells me a little about your Sgt. My department tends to go the other way with military service. They value it for the experience and skills you have and use those skills to help train officers that have never done anything like that.

On a personal note about medals, my mother sent me a package today with some of my uncle's things, including his Vietnam Gallantry Cross w/Palm. He was in A Co, 1st Bn, 5th Marines when he was killed in the Battle of Hue on Feb. 13,1968. It meant more to me than she could know.

18C4V
05-14-2010, 00:57
I think it depends on how big the agency is. The larger the agency is, the more variety of people with different views. Usually the cops who were former military gravitate towards the sergeants and other supervisors who are pro-military.

I've seen it both ways. When I was a patrol Sergeant, I've seen a few former military who tried to ride that train and couldn't do thier jobs as cops.

Of course, being on a full time SWAT unit takes a different type of cop and having a few 18 series guys from the same ODA there sure makes it interesting :D

The Reaper
05-14-2010, 03:48

Was that Chad?

TR

Utah Bob
05-14-2010, 06:54
I

Sounds like a sensitive and tactful supervisor.:rolleyes:

greenberetTFS
05-14-2010, 12:35
I don't know.

Just my .02, YMMV.

TR

I believe TR's point is well made.........I'm unable to walk without assistance,when I was at the supermarket a couple of days ago I was using a power cart to get my shopping done..... I happen to be wearing my SF cap at the time and when I went to checkout the casher told me thank you for serving,they loaded my cart for me.... When I got to my car a guy came up to me and insisted on loading the bags in my trunk for me also saying It's the least he could do for someone who has served our country....... This has happened to me a few times lately........:)

Big Teddy :munchin

Utah Bob
05-14-2010, 14:39
Things have changed since the old days. 9-11 and subsequent events woke folks up.

alright4u
05-14-2010, 14:43
One of my guys performed spectacularly one day on a mission and I couldn't even get him a CAB!

What is spectacular? Is this some good job award?