PDA

View Full Version : Donis O. (Ike) Clanton

Stras
05-10-2010, 16:28
RIP Ike, you're missed Brother.

http://www.dailyjournalonline.com/news/local/article_27236340-5a3b-11df-a377-001cc4c03286.html

Home / News / Local
Two face murder charges in death of Donis O. Clanton
StoryDiscussionBy DOUG SMITH Daily Journal Staff Writer | Posted: Saturday, May 8, 2010 3:37 am | (8) Comments

FARMINGTON — Two men face murder charges after the beating death of a Farmington man early Thursday morning. Medical experts say the man died as the result of blunt force trauma which caused “closed head” fatal injuries.

The St. Francois County coroner pronounced Donis O. Clanton, 44, dead just after 8 a.m. Thursday at the man’s home at 121 Oak Street in Farmington. Police found Clanton lying on the floor of his home after they received a tip to check the address. He was unresponsive and evidence showed signs of foul play.

Charged with second degree murder is 27-year-old Jason Allen Parrent and 20-year-old Trevor K. Grice. Parrent showed an address in Farmington, while Grice gave an address in Marquand. Police were also seeking charges of tampering with evidence and misdemeanor stealing on both men. Parrent was to also be charged with endangering the welfare of a minor.

Farmington Police Chief Rick Baker said officers arrived at 121 Oak Street at about 8 a.m. No one else was at the house, but as detectives were processing the scene and talking to neighbors, two men showed up at the scene. Parrent and Grice were returning to the house to check on Clanton, officers would later learn.

The two men were detained and questioned. Eventually both made admissions which gave the investigators a clearer picture of the hours leading up to and immediately following the attack on Clanton.

According to police documents, Clanton had invited Parrent and Grice to his home sometime Wednesday. A fourth person, a juvenile male, was also with Parrent and Grice. The evening and overnight hours apparently involved a fair amount of drinking, Baker said.

During the early morning hours on Thursday a verbal argument began between Clanton and Parrent. The dispute eventually turned physical, with Parrent allegedly hitting Clanton several times in the face and head. He told police that he knocked Clanton “out,” but that he was still alive and breathing.

The men told police they tried to clean up signs of the struggle, took some items belonging to Clanton and left the house. According to statements made by Grice, he had walked out of the house with Parrent and the juvenile, but then returned back inside the home and struck Clanton once in the head. He then reportedly walked back out onto the porch of the home and told Parrent that he didn’t want him “going down” by himself, police said. He later told police the same story during the investigation.

The coroner and police chief requested an expedited autopsy be performed on Clanton to determine the exact cause of death. That exploratory procedure showed internal damage matching external evidence of three lacerations to the forehead and noticeable trauma to the left ear and jaw area. The coroner ruled the death as “homicide.”

Parrent and Grice were booked at the St. Francois County Jail on one count each of second degree murder and detained on a 20-hour hold pending further investigation. Parrent was also booked on an outstanding warrant for possession of a controlled substance. The juvenile was questioned at the police department and released to his parents.

Baker and detectives met with Prosecuting Attorney Wendy Wexler-Horn on Friday morning to turn over copies of the police reports to seek formal charges on Parrent and Grice, as well as possible charges on the juvenile through the juvenile court system.

Clanton was no stranger to violence in his lifetime. He reportedly spent 12 years in the Army during which time he trained for and reached the elite position of Green Beret. He spent a tour in Iraq during Dessert Storm, later suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Following his military service he suffered a brain injury after falling approximately 14 feet from a porch. He endured two brain surgeries and had to learn basic tasks such as walking and talking again. He spent several years living in a local assisted living facility, but had since progressed to the point of living in his own home.

Doug Smith is a reporter for the Daily Journal. You can reach him at 573-756-8927, or at dsmith@dailyjournalonline.com.

Posted in Local on Saturday, May 8, 2010 3:37 am | Tags: Murder, Jason Allen Parrett, Trevor Grice

JJ_BPK
05-10-2010, 17:52
RIP Warrior, Vaya con Dios..

JimmyMc091
05-10-2010, 18:03
Rest in Peace
Ike you were part of old C Co 3rd 10th,, What a great bunch of guys, you will be missed.

ZonieDiver
05-10-2010, 18:05
Rest In Peace.

Red Flag 1
05-10-2010, 18:07
Rest In Peace.

akv
05-10-2010, 18:18
Rest In Peace

robert2854
05-10-2010, 18:20
It's a shame, I quess youre never safe. REST IN PEACE!

Arjunadawn
05-10-2010, 20:04
I served with "Ike" in 10th group and am currently in Farmington, MO, preparing for his viewing and burial, 11/12 May 2010. Donis was 100% disabled AND additionally a traumatic brain injury vet. He could barely walk, talk, or tend his needs. He was a dear friend of mine!
Donis was brutally targeted & beaten; the assailants returned later to his home again, beat him further, and then returned a 3rd time in the AM to stage a robbery to cover their murder.
The Daily Journal report is incorrect regarding drinking involved & they said they will correct this. Donis was not drinking with these punks. He cant drink. They learned Donis received VA back pay and then targeted him. I please ask all who read this to call the Farmington, Missouri City Hall/Prosecutor and implore them to make sure the charges stick and these SOBs are not plead out. We need to make sure the locals are aware how important our disabled brothers are. He is not just another #. Donis was really a great guy!
CITY ADMINISTRATOR
Gregory S. Beavers
gbeavers@farmington-mo.gov
756-1701
701-1898 – Cell
Mayor
Stuart (Mit) Landrum
701 Grand Canyon Drive
Farmington, MO 63640
573-756-1134 573-756-1134
mlandrum@farmington-mo.gov
CITY ATTORNEY
Kevan Karraker
110 South Jefferson Street
756-6446

Rogue
05-10-2010, 20:50
Rest in Peace

rdret1
05-10-2010, 21:26
Ike, you will be missed. Rest in Peace Brother!

greenberetTFS
05-11-2010, 06:22
God Bless,Rest in Peace,Warrior...............:(

Big Teddy

Arjunadawn
05-11-2010, 13:27
To all who read this, hello. I would like to invite everyone who reads this to please visit the recent local newspaper link I am attaching. It is imperative for the family, and for this case to maintain the prosecution ball rolling, for people to express their outrage and determination that justice not be sidelined. Please consider expressing your thoughts to the local officials of Farmington, Missouri, and the prosecution team. I thank you again on behalf of Donis (Ike) and his family.

http://www.dailyjournalonline.com/news/local/article_7ed9409a-5d16-11df-bc39-001cc4c03286.html

Green Light
05-11-2010, 14:38
You'll be remembered, brother. We'll work for your justice.

Pete
05-11-2010, 15:57
RIP Ike

Penn
05-11-2010, 16:03
Rest in Peace.

Stras
05-11-2010, 16:47
Donis Owen ‘Ike’ Clanton

FARMINGTON — Donis Owen ‘Ike’ Clanton of Farmington passed away on Thursday, May 6, 2010, at the age of 44 years, 10 months, and 27 days. He was born on June 9, 1965, at Elgin, Illinois, son of Carol Ann (Biggerstaff) White and Lloyd Gene Clanton, who survive. He was preceded in death by his nephew, Kody Gene Clanton; his grandparents, Cecil and Mary Biggerstaff and Harold and Clemmie Clanton and by his aunt, Sherry McGonigal.

Donis proudly served his country in the Army as a Green Beret in the Special Forces for 13 years. He was highly decorated and honorably discharged in 1995. He was a life member of Disabled American Veterans and a life member of AMVETS. He will always be remembered for his love of people and his passion to help others. In his spare time he enjoyed fishing and being on the river.

In addition to his parents, he is survived by three sisters, Darla (Mrs. Curtis) Griffin, Bamby (Mrs. Jay) Miller, and Luana Ayers (Rob Page), all of Farmington; 11 nieces and nephews; 10 great-nieces and nephews; and a host of aunts, uncles, cousins and good friends.

Visitation will be held at Cozean Memorial Chapel from 4 to 8 p.m. on Tuesday, May 11. Visitation will resume on Wednesday from 7 a.m. until the service time beginning at 11 a.m. in the chapel. Interment with full military honors will be Wednesday at 2:30 p.m. at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery in St. Louis. Memorials may be made to the Disabled American Veterans. View the tribute video and share your condolences and memories at cozean.biz

Richard
08-05-2010, 12:11
Update.

Richard :munchin

Trials Set For Men Charged In Death Of Clanton
Daily Journal (MO), 5 Aug 2010

The two men charged in connection with the murder of former Green Beret Donis “Ike” Clanton will have their trials held in St. Francois County.

Trevor K. Grice, 20, of Marquand, and Jason Allen Parrent, 27, of Farmington, are charged in St. Francois County with second-degree murder, second-degree assault and endangering the welfare of a child.

On Wednesday, Circuit Court Judge Kenneth W. Pratte denied both men’s request for a change of venue.

Grice’s public defender, Matt Shellenbergar, asked Judge Pratte to grant a change of venue to another county or at least bring in a jury from another county.

Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Pat King said the defense hasn’t shown a cause to change the venue.

After denying the request, Grice’s case was then scheduled for Sept. 17 for other pre-trial motions.

The judge denied Public Defender Ben Campbell’s request for a change of venue and a bond reduction on behalf of Parrent. Bond is set at $250,000 for each.

Clanton’s relative told the judge she feels Parrent is a threat to her family and the community. She said reducing his bond “could be a fatal mistake.”

After denying both requests, Parrent’s case was then scheduled for trial setting on Sept. 1.

Clanton, 44, was found dead at his Farmington home on May 6. According to court records, an autopsy determined Clanton died of closed head trauma/blunt force trauma consisting of two blows to the left ear and at least four other blows to the head.

Parrent initially told police that he came to Clanton’s home the morning of May 6 to do yard work. He said through the door, he could see Clanton on the floor. He said he called 911 from his sister’s house and then started performing CPR.

While being questioned at the police department, he added that he, Grice and a juvenile were at Clanton’s house the night before where he said they consumed alcohol.

Parrent then confessed to hitting Clanton. He said during an argument, Clanton punched him on the left side of the face. He said it didn’t hurt, but he stood up and punched Clanton four to five times.

He said they reconciled and about 10 minutes later and Clanton passed out.

However, Grice said Clanton immediately became unconscious and never regained consciousness. Grice admitted he struck Clanton while Clanton was unconscious.

The juvenile said after Parrent assaulted Clanton, Parrent directed him to dispose of the evidence.

Grice told police he wiped down bottles, soda cans, and glasses to get rid of fingerprints. He said he and the juvenile stole a cell phone, a military coin, DVD player, silver utensils, and headphones.

Clanton was a former Green Beret who served his country for 13 years including during Operation Desert Storm. He was highly decorated and honorably discharged.

He became disabled about eight years before his death, suffering brain damage after a 14-foot fall.
http://www.dailyjournalonline.com/news/local/d7fc87a8-a0a1-11df-9fb4-001cc4c03286.html

Stingray
08-05-2010, 12:56
Rest in Peace Mr. Clanton. Thank you for your service.
Let justice be served for those involved, whether in this life or the next.

Sincerely,

bost1751
08-05-2010, 19:18
Ike was a member of my team in C/3/10, a great guy and team member. RIP brother.

DrJay
04-24-2012, 19:11
Wasn't Ike on 012 in the early '90s? If so, we downed a lot of suds at the community club. Hell of a way for anybody to die. Peace, my brother.

Gypsy
04-27-2012, 18:02
I'm sorry I missed this thread, RIP Mr. Clanton. It is horrible.

Found this update. I hope these little bastards get what's coming to them.

http://pro.kzim-am.tritonflex.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=71

Apr 18, 2012 -- 11:32am

A Farmington man is going to trial next week for his role in the killing of a disabled former Green Beret. 22-year-old Trevor Grice of Marquand, and 29-year-old Jason Parrent of Farmington, are charged in St. Francois County with second-degree murder, second-degree assault and endangering the welfare of a child. Grice has a trial setting hearing May 16th before Judge Kenneth Pratte. Parrent’s trial is set for April 23rd. 44-year-old Donis Clanton was found dead at his Farmington home May 6th, 2010. An autopsy determined Clanton died of head trauma consisting of two blows to the ear and at least four blows to the head. Clanton was a former Green Beret who served for 13 years.

Stras
04-28-2012, 01:38
Wasn't Ike on 012 in the early '90s? If so, we downed a lot of suds at the community club. Hell of a way for anybody to die. Peace, my brother.

He was on the same team with Monty from what I remember. I think he ended up on 013 (MFF) when I got to A Co in Feb 1994. 015 (Mountain) and 012 (Scuba), 011, 014 and 016 were Ruck teams. We had the great team number switcheroo circa 1995.

jlcoad
10-05-2013, 12:38
On Dec. 12, Grice was found guilty and sentenced to four years in prison for involuntary manslaughter in connection with the death of former Green Beret Donis “Ike” Clanton on May 6, 2010. Grice was credited for time served. He was released from prison on a conditional release by the Parole Board Jan. 18.

http://dailyjournalonline.com/news/local/grice-sentenced-to-four-years/article_0afaefa8-2d5a-11e3-810c-0019bb2963f4.html

PRB
10-05-2013, 12:58
That is not justice.
Ike had the mental ability of a 12 year old when they killed him (after his head injury)...there was nothing 'involuntary' about it.
This perp needs killing.

The Reaper
10-05-2013, 13:07
On Dec. 12, Grice was found guilty and sentenced to four years in prison for involuntary manslaughter in connection with the death of former Green Beret Donis “Ike” Clanton on May 6, 2010. Grice was credited for time served. He was released from prison on a conditional release by the Parole Board Jan. 18.

http://dailyjournalonline.com/news/local/grice-sentenced-to-four-years/article_0afaefa8-2d5a-11e3-810c-0019bb2963f4.html

From the article, it looks like he got another four years for assaulting an inmate during his incarceration.

Not sure what is going on with this POS, but for someone all of 5'3" tall, he sure likes to hit.

TR

dannyleo
12-13-2020, 09:15
Just saw this. :( Sras, you're correct. Same team as Monty and I. Man, I remember having such great times with Ike. I went to AZ for something (GPS testing?) and took a picture of a sign that showed the Clanton gang something or other, Ike thought it was great! He had some ups and downs. Run in with the polizei one time when he was trying to do the right thing and get some sleep at the Oktoberfest, he kinda got the raw deal on that, but his drinking back in the day had bit him a few times. Man, we sure had some good times together and good times talking about those good times later. Thanks somebody for posting the pic. Still looks like good ole Ike. Writing through the tears and not ashamed I'm shedding them for a former teammate. I miss you Ike. RIP. :(