PDA

View Full Version : One Tough Lady

akv
05-09-2010, 12:36
Happy Mothers Day, the video in the link is priceless, :lifter

70-Year-Old Woman Puts Carjacker In Headlock

Posted: 3:17 pm EDT April 14, 2010

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- WFTV spoke with a 70-year-old woman Wednesday who put a carjacker in a headlock. The man tried to steal her minivan Tuesday in Daytona Beach while she loaded her groceries. However, Elludee Haliday wasn't willing to give up her van.“You don't have time to think.You have to do the best you can to survive,” Haliday said. Haliday has five stints in her heart, but she is an active 70-year-old nurse. So, it's no surprise to her that instinct took over when police say the man tried to carjack her at the Walmart on Beville Road Tuesday in broad daylight.“I went after him,” she said.

The victim was loading her groceries inside the minivan when she saw the suspect hop in the driver’s seat. At the same time, she opened the sliding door and got in as he took off.“I thought, ‘You’re mine now boy!’” she said.Haliday attacked him from behind as he sped out of the parking lot and onto the main road.“I grabbed his neck. I had the bear hug like and I kept holding and he kept going,” she explained.The suspect caused some damage to the vehicle when he sideswiped several cars. Investigators said he tried to threaten Haliday with a gun, but she still wasn't fazed.“I said, ‘I don't think you can reach it. Your pants [are] down to your knees!’” she said.

Haliday nearly choked him to death before he gave up and jumped out. Turns out his partners in crime were following close behind in a green Kia Sedona the whole time.“A van was following him screaming, saying, ‘Bail out, bail out, this woman is crazy!’” Haliday said.
Everyone else thinks she's one brave 70-year-old woman.
Haliday said she has a little advice for the suspects.
“Shape up, get a life, do something to be proud of yourself,” she said.
Haliday wasn't injured at all during the incident, but was taken to the hospital just to be checked out.

http://www.wftv.com/countybycounty/23151019/detail.html

dr. mabuse
05-09-2010, 12:52

Gypsy
05-09-2010, 18:38
Two thumbs up. :D

rdret1
05-09-2010, 22:03
I wonder what his new street name is now that he got his ass kicked by someone's great-grandmother!

dennisw
05-09-2010, 22:41
I wonder what his new street name is now that he got his ass kicked by someone's great-grandmother!

Granny Not :D

Requiem
05-09-2010, 23:31
What kind of "cool dude" steals a minivan?

akv
05-10-2010, 00:12
Suspect who fought with 70-year-old surrenders
By LYDA LONGA, Staff writer
April 21, 2010 12:05 AM 26 Comments 0 Votes Posted in: East Volusia Tagged:

DAYTONA BEACH -- The initial plan was to enter Walmart, steal some Pop Tarts and other goodies and run out.

Instead, 18-year-old Montel Miles found himself behind the wheel of a champagne-colored van belonging to a 70-year-old woman who was about to teach the teen a thing or two about self-defense.

Tuesday afternoon, Miles found himself in another strange situation: wearing an oversized orange uniform at the Volusia County Branch Jail after he was charged with carjacking.

The youth -- a fresh-faced, small and skinny teen with short dreadlocks -- looked scared as he faced the judge at a first-appearance hearing at the jail, his mother and grandmother sitting with somber expressions.

"He's terrified, but he should've thought of that before he did this," Police Chief Mike Chitwood said.

Investigators say Miles is the teenager who jumped into the driver's seat of Eliud Haliday's van April 13 in the parking lot of the Walmart on Beville Road. Haliday had just finished putting some groceries in the back of the vehicle and her purse was inside the van.

When Haliday saw the teen in the driver's seat, though, she reacted quickly and jumped inside the van that was an anniversary gift from her late husband.

At that point, the septuagenarian set in motion everything she'd learned about self-defense in her native Brazil. Sitting behind Miles in the rear passenger seat, she put the suspect in a chokehold and began striking him on the side of the head, police said. Miles struggled to drive, sideswiping a car and then a fence, but he finally managed to get onto Beville and headed east.

Detectives said Miles' friends followed closely behind in a green sport utility vehicle. When the teen reached Ridgewood and Rutledge avenues, however, he bolted from Haliday's van because he could no longer take the pummeling, investigators said.

Haliday was then hailed a hero and police began searching for a young, small-framed carjacker.

Investigators got their break Monday when the aunt of a girl Miles once dated called police and said she recognized his photo, an arrest report shows. In addition, the mother of one of the teens that rode along in the green SUV in which Miles was originally a passenger said her son was with Miles and their friends.

The woman told detectives her son had not participated in the carjacking incident, and the teenager spoke to investigators, giving them the details of the group's original plan, the report shows.

Regardless, Miles' grandmother Nora Miles, said her grandson didn't do it. She said she told Miles to surrender Tuesday after seeing his face on evening television news shows.

But the chief said Miles confessed to detectives shortly after he surrendered, telling them he and his cohorts had just planned to enter Walmart, steal some food and run out. When they passed Haliday and saw her loading her van with groceries, though, the driver of the green SUV told Miles to "boost it," Chitwood said.

Volusia County Judge Peter McGlashan ordered the teen held on $100,000 bail, an amount Nora Miles says is beyond her family's reach.

"It's ridiculous," she said as she sat in her daughter's SUV outside the jail. "He's not a flight risk."

Both Nora Miles and her daughter Shawn Miles -- the suspect's mother -- said the teen has never been in trouble.

Chitwood confirmed that, saying the youth had no criminal record.

"He's a wannabe thug," Chitwood said. "That concerns us when somebody is new out of the box."

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/local/east-volusia/2010/04/21/suspect-who-fought-with-70-year-old-surrenders.html

Razor
05-10-2010, 12:17
Well, I've thought that too, but in an entirely different context

And hopefully without employing the choke hold.

Green Light
05-10-2010, 14:40
Reminds me of BOTH of my grandmas. They were strong-willed women that didn't take any guff. I'm teaching my daughters the same (heaven help their husbands). :D