PDA

View Full Version : AMTI A-320 Amp Kit

CasperMike
05-08-2010, 23:35
Was wondering if anyone out there has used the AMTI A-320 Amp kit or any AMTI products. I've been trying to acquire this for quite some time and keep running into problems. Is it worth the hassle, or is there something else out there comparable. Alot of my guys are still running around with RAMP-25s on their kit--its a technique, but a bulky one.

J8127
05-09-2010, 05:06
I'm not an 18E, but these are very popular among JTACs, especially in Afghanistan. Most guys who could get a hold of one would use it for a satcom/strike setup instead of a 117F. It's the best MBITR amp that I know of, but elusive to say the least. The biggest advantage aside from size is you actually know when the thing is on and working.

CasperMike
05-09-2010, 10:19
That's where I'm at now and how I found out about them. I've tried every available route to get these things and have gotten nowhere. I guess I have to start using the creative methods!
It definately seems to be a great piece of kit. On that note, can someone explain to me why it is easier for the AF side of the house to get the 'latest and greatest' so easily and quickly?

J8127
05-09-2010, 13:21
lol, the grass is always greener CasperMike. The A-320 isn't readily available to us, guys have them down range because their EASOS bought them on their own. The Air Force can't even decide if we can wear ACU's or not.

Good pieces of kit like the A320 get delayed because somebody wants to spend two years making a "kit" while useless shit like Laser SPOTRs that nobody ever asked for magically appear all the time, but thats a rant for a different audience.

69harley
05-10-2010, 08:03
I have used the A320. It is a neat little amp. Runs very hot. One of the things I thought was frustrating is the LOS antenna is that comes with it is junk. The amp only has one output port. Not too many antennas that connect with a TNC connector will take 20 watts and not burn.

I have played around with the MB50 amp and that thing is money. Not as small as the A320 but it has two RF output ports, one for SATCOM and another for LOS. Plus the LOS port uses the same connector as the PSC-5 and 117F, so any antenna that works with the big radios will attach directly to the MB50.

The MB50 puts out between 20 to 50 watts. Much better amp than the little A320.

AlifBaa
07-05-2010, 01:49
I have one, and love it. I always have it on my kit, and as a result my team is often the only element with solid comms across the spectrum. A few weeks ago, I used it and my PRC-152 to make a UHF shot to a section of Harriers @ 18K', 60 miles away. In just my FSBE kit I shot an azimuth, jumped up on a truck, pointed the antenna, and got lucky.

The stock antenna is rated for 80-512MHz, which causes a lot of people to think the system sucks when they try to make <80 MHz VHF shots, and can't push out 500m. You can make a workaround to hang two antennae, or just get the Dual Port Adapter. It's coming out in a few months officially, but might be available now if you ask really nicely.

More info: http://www.amti.net/amplifier_a320DPA.php A good POC is erik.strautnieks@ultralifecorp.com

AlifBaa
07-05-2010, 02:00
Good pieces of kit like the A320 get delayed because somebody wants to spend two years making a "kit" while useless shit like Laser SPOTRs that nobody ever asked for magically appear all the time, but thats a rant for a different audience.

I bet there are a ton of JTAC related rants/questions/discussions to be had...to include mine. What forum should this be started in?

69harley
07-07-2010, 14:26
Another problem with the A320 amplifier is JITC certification, it is not certified by JITC for SATCOM use. None of the AMTI amplifiers are JITC certified.

We tried to buy a sexy amp last year but the G-6 disapproved the purchase because it was not certified by JITC.

http://jitc.fhu.disa.mil/reg/dama.html

Apparently, everything for UHF SATCOM must be JITC certified or it cannot be used or purchased.

Dak
07-08-2010, 08:01
I've used the A-320 with mixed results. It seems to be very finicky about what kind of cable is attached to the output connector. Sometimes it will work just fine and other times the fault light will come on at random. The RG-58 cable that comes with the TSE M.A.S.T kit seems to work the best. The advantages are that it is small and can be attached to your kit. I am still hesitant to rely solely on an MBITR with the A-320 for SATCOM. I usually carry a 117G (borrowed from a JTAC because we can't get them) and the other Echo carries another MBITR with the A-320

69harley
07-08-2010, 08:54
Forgot to mention that our JTACS have them and only use them for voice. I borrowed one once to try out. Used it with my MBITR to send send some pictures. That A320 amp kept overheating and shutting down. Never could send a picture while using it. After removing the amp and going direct from the MBITR to the dish it was easy to send imagery. Like I said earlier, the amp seems to work ok for voice but is not JITC certified and couldn't take the heat of being keyed up more than a few seconds.

rascal999
07-11-2010, 20:49
I know it isn't quite the same thing but I just got two A-3075s in. It is a vehicular amplifier for the PRC 117F. It took me about a month to get it cleared through the fiscal side and another month to get them delivered. It works really well and amplifies 50 Watts for VHF and 75 Watts for SATCOM. We are using it with a Trivec-Avant 30-512 MHz ant and it is a beautiful set up. On top of that, it has a handy little MBITR charging pocket which allows you to keep an MBITR fully charged that you grab and jump out of your vehicle. I haven't tried it with Data but will soon.

Bechorg
07-12-2010, 09:11
Currently in AFG and the antenna that works best is the long whip. Note that the 152 can do "satcom burstmode" and will put out 10W. I have never had a missed shot in three provinces.

CasperMike
08-04-2010, 12:00
'ppreciate the input. After almost a full rotation, we finally got ahold of some--and I left about a week later without being able to fully test it out. Waiting to hear from my replacements to see what they think...