PDA

View Full Version : DUMB question - snipers and hiccups

Pandora
08-02-2004, 20:58
If anyone knows the ultimate cure-all for hiccups, I figure snipers might.

Forget all of the upise-down-water, and "eat spoonful of sugar" tricks... BTDT!

Will someone please share the ultimate hiccup cure - as pedestrian/civilian as this query may be, I am desperate!

NousDefionsDoc
08-02-2004, 21:17
LOL - EXCELLENT QUESTION and very good reasoning!:munchin

Doc T
08-02-2004, 21:36
had the hiccups at work one day and one of the people in my office interrupted me to ask...

have I ever had a bunny...
told her no and she said, never? I said never. She said not even as a child...I said no...she said not a white one? I said no...or a black one...again no....and she said.....

Your hiccups are gone....and they were.

this has worked on easily 90% of the people I have tried it on...including talking to myself when I get the hiccups. I must admit it only worked on the Team Sergeant the first time and then he knew what I was doing and it didn't work any longer...but it did work once when he was caught unaware.

I am definitely not certain of why it works...but i am convinced...

try it out next time someone has the hiccups...

doc t.

DunbarFC
08-02-2004, 21:47
Try this

Have a friend slowly pour a glass of water into your mouth

Just keep drinking til the glass is empty and presto they are gone

I was a production assistant for a theater company and that was the stage manager's personal cure and I swear it works

The Reaper
08-02-2004, 21:57
I used to have them with some frequency.

One day, I decided that I was not going to have them any more.

I might get two or three hiccups now on rare occasions, and I decide that they are over, and focus on them.

Never more than one additional one before they stop.

Mind over matter.

TR

Pandora
08-02-2004, 22:02
White rabbits? And by association, Grace Slick? And the inherant fear factor? mmmm-kay... I am in.

:D

I'll give it a try. After 3 hours of this nonsense, I will take all advice I can get. Maybe I need an inquisitor with an Elmer Fudd voice?

(If I was sniper, at the moment I would not be a good sniper - HICK- and the barrel goes UP!)

Team Sergeant
08-02-2004, 22:11
Originally posted by Pandora
If anyone knows the ultimate cure-all for hiccups, I figure snipers might.

Can't say that I ever had the hiccups while I was behind the trigger.

I can say that what Doc T posted works.

TS

Dan
08-02-2004, 22:15
A few years back I had the hiccups for about 3 weeks. No Doc could figure out what was wrong. One night I woke the wife up to take me to the ER...upon arrival they determined my appendix were about to burst. The hiccups stopped that night :)

My father had emailed saying that he had heard of appendix giving that problem before, but none of the Docs had heard of it nor did they believe that could be the reason. The night I woke the wife up I was 99% sure that was the problem from the pain location. My father was never a Doc or medic, but is a wise man...thus why I'm posting this in this "Wisdom" forum.

Guy
08-03-2004, 06:21
I've seen...

Placing a paper or plastic bag over the mouth, and breating in/out vigorously for a few minutes work.

May have something to do with the increase CO2 in the blood.

Martin
08-03-2004, 07:04
Originally posted by Guy
I've seen...

Placing a paper or plastic bag over the mouth, and breating in/out vigorously for a few minutes work.

I use to hold my breath as long as I can a few times. I don't remember how I came up with it, but your reasoning might explain why it works.

hoepoe
08-03-2004, 07:17
Swallow air..open your mouth breath in, close your mouth and swallow, then foce a burp up ;-)

Also works to dislodge food that i've pigged out on and literally bitten off more than i can chew/swallow (usually a form of cow ;-))

Guranteed to work 100% (for hicups for me anyway, but then again , i alway was a little 'different' lol)

Hoepo

Sacamuelas
08-03-2004, 07:24
I can be caused by a lot of different reasons- low CO2 levels being only one of them.
Here are a few treatments used:
Stimulation of nasopharynx - Forcible traction on the tongue, swallowing granulated sugar, gargling with water, sipping ice water, drinking from the far side of a glass, biting on a lemon, inhaling noxious agents (eg, ammonia)

C3-5 dermatome stimulation - Tapping or rubbing back of the neck, coolant sprays, acupuncture

Direct pharyngeal stimulation - Nasal or oral catheter (90% effective)
Direct uvular stimulation - Spoon or cotton-tip applicator
Removal of gastric contents - Emetics, nasogastric tube
Vagal stimulation (Only one technique at a time is recommended.)
1. Iced gastric lavage
2.Valsalva
3.Carotid sinus massage
4.Digital ocular globe pressure
5.Digital rectal massage

Interference with normal respiratory function - Breath holding, hyperventilation, gasping (ie, fright), breathing into a paper bag (increases partial pressure of carbon dioxide), pulling knees up to chest and leaning forward, continuous positive airway pressure, rebreathing 5% carbon dioxide
Mental distraction - For example, ask the patient to "think of a loved one remembering you." Offer $10 if the patient can continue to hiccup immediately.
Behavioral conditioning (including other members of the family unit)
Hypnosis
Acupuncture
Phrenic nerve or diaphragmatic pacing: Incidental cure during cardioversion has been reported.
Phrenic nerve block surgery: Surgical interruption of the phrenic nerve has been advocated for intractable cases that are unresponsive to other treatment. This final and most drastic approach may be associated with considerable morbidity and is not universally successful. Microvascular decompression of the vagus nerve recently has been described as a successful procedure

Obviously, some of these are for higher level care due to protracted cases that last for a long time. For the "standard" brief cases...The mental distraction, rebreathing Co2 from paper bag, and holding breath seem to always work for me. :cool:

NousDefionsDoc
08-03-2004, 07:33
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
Can't say that I ever had the hiccups while I was behind the trigger.

I can say that what Doc T posted works.

TS

I think its sad you never had a bun bun:munchin

That technique wouldn't work on me.:D

The Reaper
08-03-2004, 07:37
Originally posted by Sacamuelas
I can be caused by a lot of different reasons- low CO2 levels being only one of them.
Here are a few treatments used:

5.Digital rectal massage

Isn't that a bit out of your professional area of expertise?

Jeez, what is it with Docs and finger waves?

TR

NousDefionsDoc
08-03-2004, 07:47
Originally posted by The Reaper
Isn't that a bit out of your professional area of expertise?

Jeez, what is it with Docs and finger waves?

TR

Typical dentist, always looking for the answer in the wrong place. If you have to do this, hiccups are probably the least of your worries.

Matchanu
08-03-2004, 08:17
Originally posted by Guy
I've seen...

Try placing the pastic bag over your head next time.:D

Guy
08-03-2004, 08:41
Originally posted by Matchanu
Try placing the pastic bag over your head next time.:D

I'm not into that autoerotica-asphyxiation are you?:D

D9 (RIP)
08-03-2004, 08:41
Try to anticipate your hiccups. A person told me once to tell them "NOW" the instant before I had my next hiccup. I focused on it, and the hiccup never arrived. It still works for me.

swatsurgeon
08-03-2004, 08:49
I get a kick out of you guys.........
everything works and maybe nothing works. Saca ran an extensive list , but in the field??????
Patients that have 'chronic' hiccups, more than 4 hours of trying every nurses remedy, we give baclofen, 10-15 mg every 6 hours. It's an antispasmotic, used for bladder, muscle and other spastic (no jokes here about each other!) related problems. Side effect, possible drowsiness........
could carry it into the field if you suffer from BAD hiccups that don't respond to 'typical' remedies. Holding your breath for 45-60 seconds and increasing your CO2 level generally does it.

Sweetbriar
08-03-2004, 09:21
When I was a little kid, Daddy would lay down on the living room floor next to me and we would get rid of them together - he and I both had problems with them. He came up with a form of guided relaxation where I would imagine a ball in a tube from throat down to my belly button. The goal was to control bringing the ball up to your neck when you breathed out and down to your diaphragm when you breathed in - hiccups interrupted the game and you had to concentrate and relax to do it. Mind over matter. It also makes for a great little naptime.

Kyobanim
08-03-2004, 09:53
Originally posted by Doc T
had the hiccups at work one day and one of the people in my office interrupted me to ask...

have I ever had a bunny...
told her no and she said, never? I said never. She said not even as a child...I said no...she said not a white one? I said no...or a black one...again no....and she said.....

Your hiccups are gone....and they were.

this has worked on easily 90% of the people I have tried it on...including talking to myself when I get the hiccups. I must admit it only worked on the Team Sergeant the first time and then he knew what I was doing and it didn't work any longer...but it did work once when he was caught unaware.

I am definitely not certain of why it works...but i am convinced...

try it out next time someone has the hiccups...

doc t.

Is this something that should be taught to the spotter? :D

Guy
08-03-2004, 11:17
Originally posted by swatsurgeon
I get a kick out of you guys.........
everything works and maybe nothing works. Saca ran an extensive list , but in the field??????

I'm not sticking my finger up someones rectum to get him to stop hicupping. Especially while in a field environment and on a mission...that's just "gayish"!

I've never seen or heard of anyone developing hicupps when things are about to happen.

Hell! I've had to force myself to breathe normally...that's a chore in its self! :)

Sacamuelas
08-03-2004, 11:44
You guys are killing me. :p

SS- almost all of those techniques listed could be implemented in the field except the last two.

Guy-
As stated, some techniques are used for the ER type settings ON PROTRACTED cases only, not normal brief periods of hiccups. LOL OOOOooohhhhh the irony.... the man with the fingernail polish painted poodles calling my Tx options "gayish'. hahaha

RL, I think you can move this thread BACK to the general discussions forum. :p :D

ghuinness
08-03-2004, 19:06
edit: already suggested. missed it.

Pandora
08-04-2004, 22:49
Excellent suggestions, (although I admit I am now afraid of Saca!)

Thanks.

Note: wouldn't help someone in the field, but a dose of gripe water I keep on hand for the infant nephew worked.

magician
08-05-2004, 07:02
This is one of the funniest things that I have ever heard. I can imagine the conversation.

"Damn, I got the hiccups." (Burp).

"Let me stick my finger up your ass. It will help. Really."

"NO!"

"Yes!"

"NO!"

"It works! Really! A real live doc said so!"

"NO!"

Smiles.

All gone.

:)

CPTAUSRET
08-05-2004, 08:43
Funny thread...Keep it up, guys.

Terry

jatx
08-12-2004, 14:52
First post here, know a few of you from socnet.

I got the hiccups in a deer blind last year, and my hunting partner did the ocular pressure thing. Works every time!

If you have a buddy with you, have them stand behind you and apply the pressure gently with the pads of their fingers so that you can focus on your breathing. If not, you can do it yourself, but remember to keep the pressure light and not to use the tips of your fingers. About 30 seconds of pressure usually works.

jjames83
04-30-2007, 13:09
hold your breath for a minute. It resets the diaphram which is spasming during hiccups.

Doczilla
04-30-2007, 20:49
5.Digital rectal massage

Wait, dentists aren't supposed to do that? I need to get a new dentist then.

For my particular patient population, I tell them to lay off the cocaine for a day or two, and the hiccups will resolve.

'zilla

Tuukka
06-06-2007, 04:43
Heard this from a friend and it has worked 100% since then.

Drink from a glass, from the rim opposite from where you normally drink. When done, it looks ridiculous, but it does work.

kachingchingpow
08-26-2007, 12:24
About a week ago I thought I had an incurable bout of the hiccups. Never really had them before other than maybe for a few minutes. I was at our neighborhood pool, having a few cold beers, and they started up. I was recently prescribed an antihistamine to knock out some poison ivy and I guess the interaction between the meds, the beer and the heat caused them. It was miserable. I was able to control them for a few minutes at a time, but I swear I had the damn things off and on for 10 hours. My chest was sore the next day, like I ran wind sprints. Anyhow, the way I got them to stop was sealing a freezer bag around my mouth and inhaling/exhaling until they were gone. Your respiration will become really heavy as the oxygen depletes from the bag, and you'll obviuosly get dizzy. Once it got to that point I pulled the bag off, and viola they were gone.