PDA

View Full Version : Gone in 28 seconds:

JJ_BPK
05-07-2010, 07:10
The Brits are at it again,,
This time They went to Time & Count at Distance..

Gone in 28 seconds: Rapid-fire sniper takes out five Taliban soldiers from more than a mile away to save British patrol

By Ian Drury, Last updated at 10:01 AM on 7th May 2010

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1273679/Gone-28-seconds-Rapid-sniper-takes-Taliban-soldiers-protect-British-patrol.html#ixzz0nC8ZbUMx

A British sniper shot dead five Taliban gunmen in just 28 seconds to save the lives of comrades walking into an ambush.

The marksman felled the rebels from more than a mile away as they prepared to attack troops on foot patrol in Afghanistan.

The corporal - whose identity cannot be revealed for security reasons - has killed a record 37 enemy fighters during a four-month tour of duty.

But his most remarkable feat of arms came when he and the spotter who accompanies him saw the group of armed Taliban.

They were taking up positions to fire on a patrol that included the platoon commander in Helmand Province.

Hiding in an old fort, the sniper prepared his British-built L115A3 Long Range Rifle.... (continued)

Are there any records left??

Geenie
05-07-2010, 09:19
I hope this isn't a dumb question, but how would they know that it was exactly 28 seconds? Is it SOP for the spotter to have a stopwatch or something?

fng13
05-07-2010, 10:42
Is there any chance that these articles are simply propaganda with the recent British election?

Perhaps the events took place but they are just over stating the actions to get more support for the war/ political party that is pro-war in Iraq/Afghanistan.

That sure doesn't seem like much time to make scope adjustments, reload, control breathing, etc for shooting over a mile. (But what do I know).

Dad
05-07-2010, 13:03
I was once told by a person with some sniper training that the spotter is equally important as the actual shooter. Would you who teach such things agree? If so shouldn't these articles refer to sniper TEAMS achievements? Thank you

Animal8526
05-09-2010, 00:21
Just a thought...

These articles are clearly targeted at a British reader market. I'm not sure you're average brit is going to peg the BS meter at some of the "feats" of late, if only because of a complete and general ignorance of firearms. I think it's pertinent to note, the entire sub culture and heritage associated with shooting in the UK is pretty much extinct.

greenberetTFS
05-09-2010, 05:22
Rick,do you believe this is possible? :confused: 5 men in 28 seconds :rolleyes:

Big Teddy :munchin

kgoerz
05-09-2010, 07:19
Even with a Bolt Action Rifle. Five rounds in 28 seconds is very plausible. A mile away, very difficult.

Buffalobob
05-09-2010, 09:33
Thinking back on things I saw actually done by my snipers, the wounded to kill ratio was just about 1 to 1. Of course if you leave them lay a while or shoot the crawlers again you can get a better ratio. Shooting the crawlers takes extra time. The 338 would make a bigger hole than what we were using so perhaps the ratio would be different although at a mile the velocity would make it comparable (or even inferior) to the closer ranges that most of our shots were taken at.

dr. mabuse
05-09-2010, 12:57