PDA

View Full Version : New Badge

MVP
05-05-2010, 08:22
I really wasn't sure where to put this tidbit but I can imagine the posers will soon start sporting these:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/04/put_cyber_wings_on_my_sons_chest/print.html

Richard
05-05-2010, 08:41
Cyber wings upon their chests...these are men, our geekiest...

A new Top 40 hit!

Richard

jw74
05-05-2010, 09:12
After I read this I had to double check the link to make sure it wasn't The Onion.

abc_123
05-05-2010, 09:34
I also love it how its for Officers only... with whatever is going to be done for the Enlisted side of the house "at a later date".

Priceless.

Utah Bob
05-05-2010, 10:46
They will be as coveted and difficult to earn as any other US military adornment

Yeah right.:rolleyes:

Don
05-05-2010, 11:12
Had a guy that went thru the Q with me that was a Tomb guard at Arlington. When people asked what that badge was on his BDU's, he'd say, "That's a Combat Computer Badge. I jumped and Apple 2 into Panama." The subdued badge looked remarkably like a wreathed computer and monitor.:D

SF18C
05-05-2010, 11:46
"**Maybe not that many women in this branch." Or dudes that hook up with one either! Those silly AF nerds!

But having said that I am sure the Army Signal Command will come out with something equally goofy!

While sitting in a conference room full of Signal LTCs and Majors waiting for a VTC to start, the discussion turned to one of our really smart and talented Captains getting out of the Army and going to MIT this summer. One of those officers said, “All the really good Signal Captains bail on the Army and get big time jobs."

At that point the only thing I could say is, “And the rest get promoted to Major?”:D

CommoNCO
05-05-2010, 14:06
I know a handful of Army 25S Soldiers that wear the Air Force Space Operations badge - I can only assume that even more of us Signal Corps guys will be wearing this latest monstrosity....

Here's the Space Badge...
http://www.schriever.af.mil/shared/media/ggallery/webgraphic/AFG-060320-006.jpg

Snaquebite
05-05-2010, 14:20
Will the NATO Courageous Restraint Medal be a higher award?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100504/ap_on_re_as/as_afghan_courageous_restraint

By SEBASTIAN ABBOT, Associated Press Writer Sebastian Abbot, Associated Press Writer – Tue May 4, 4:15 am ET
FORWARD OPERATING BASE RAMROD, Afghanistan – NATO commanders are weighing a new way to reduce civilian casualties in Afghanistan: recognizing soldiers for "courageous restraint" if they avoid using force that could endanger innocent lives.

Monsoon65
05-05-2010, 14:27
I also love it how its for Officers only... with whatever is going to be done for the Enlisted side of the house "at a later date".

The big thing to notice is how much they look like aircrew wings. You wouldn't know how many guys in the AF bust on aircrew, but would give their left testicle to wear a bag and wings.

As long as they didn't have to, you know, actually fly.

Utah Bob
05-05-2010, 15:13
The big thing to notice is how much they look like aircrew wings. You wouldn't know how many guys in the AF bust on aircrew, but would give their left testicle to wear a bag and wings.

Yup. It would seem to me that any wings on one's chest should signify the wearer is qualified to go higher than the steps up into the command trailer.
Wing wearers are a fraternity of birdmen imho, either drivers or jumpers out of.

I'm sure the defense will be ,"They're not really wings. They just look like wings".:rolleyes:

greenberetTFS
05-05-2010, 15:33
Will the NATO Courageous Restraint Medal be a higher award?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100504/ap_on_re_as/as_afghan_courageous_restraint

By SEBASTIAN ABBOT, Associated Press Writer Sebastian Abbot, Associated Press Writer – Tue May 4, 4:15 am ET
FORWARD OPERATING BASE RAMROD, Afghanistan – NATO commanders are weighing a new way to reduce civilian casualties in Afghanistan: recognizing soldiers for "courageous restraint" if they avoid using force that could endanger innocent lives.

I can't believe this $hit,think twice before firing!......:eek: How do you earn your senior or master wings?......:rolleyes: WTF is the Army coming too,medals for not shooting the enemy!.........:mad:

Big Teddy :munchin

Dozer523
05-05-2010, 16:02
There will be Basic, Senior and Master Cyberspace Officer badges. (not pink)
They are assigned to Space Command. (not pink)
Do not mess with these people. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InqbFW1KkUU

Note to AFCHIC: I know, it's not your fault. And, you're right, SOME-one has to do it.

Red Flag 1
05-05-2010, 16:12
Throw back to the 1950's si-fi B and C movies.....they didn't fly well either.

RF 1

Monsoon65
05-05-2010, 19:34
Yup. It would seem to me that any wings on one's chest should signify the wearer is qualified to go higher than the steps up into the command trailer.
Wing wearers are a fraternity of birdmen imho, either drivers or jumpers out of.

I'm sure the defense will be ,"They're not really wings. They just look like wings".:rolleyes:

Well, my biggest pet peeve is the UAV drivers.

They wear flight suits and wings. Rumor has it, they are also eligible for Air Medals and even DFCs.

And they never leave the ground.

My planes crashes, they are scooping up my remains and tossing them in a bin bag.

They crash a UAV, they look at each other and go, "Damn, lost one. Wanna go to the BK for lunch?"

AF Times had a great cartoon this week on UAVs. It was titled something like "UAV In-flight Emergency". One operator turning to the other and saying, "Better call the comm shop and open a trouble ticket"!

Utah Bob
05-05-2010, 23:03
Well, my biggest pet peeve is the UAV drivers.

They wear flight suits and wings. Rumor has it, they are also eligible for Air Medals and even DFCs.

And they never leave the ground.

My planes crashes, they are scooping up my remains and tossing them in a bin bag.

They crash a UAV, they look at each other and go, "Damn, lost one. Wanna go to the BK for lunch?"

AF Times had a great cartoon this week on UAVs. It was titled something like "UAV In-flight Emergency". One operator turning to the other and saying, "Better call the comm shop and open a trouble ticket"!

Oh no! Lets not get started on the UAV drivers again!!:D:D

afchic
05-06-2010, 06:05

You wouldn't catch me wearing wings for anything in the world! :p Along with the wings go the flight suit. Now correct me if I am wrong but a flight suit is a uniform that is used during flying operations that is made of a fire retardant material, in order to keep the aircrew "safer" should a fire happen in their proximity??? So tell me how that gets extrapolated to guys "flying" satellites and launching missiles needing to wear a fire retardant garment?

I have a lot of friends in the space career field and I jerk their chains about their flight suits, leather jackets and Buzz Lightyear wings every chance I get!!!

afchic
05-06-2010, 06:06
There will be Basic, Senior and Master Cyberspace Officer badges. (not pink)
They are assigned to Space Command. (not pink)
Do not mess with these people. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InqbFW1KkUU

Note to AFCHIC: I know, it's not your fault. And, you're right, SOME-one has to do it.

Bag on the Space Command weenies all you want, I do every opportunity I get.;)

Utah Bob
05-06-2010, 08:37
You wouldn't catch me wearing wings for anything in the world! :p Along with the wings go the flight suit. Now correct me if I am wrong but a flight suit is a uniform that is used during flying operations that is made of a fire retardant material, in order to keep the aircrew "safer" should a fire happen in their proximity??? So tell me how that gets extrapolated to guys "flying" satellites and launching missiles needing to wear a fire retardant garment?

I have a lot of friends in the space career field and I jerk their chains about their flight suits, leather jackets and Buzz Lightyear wings every chance I get!!!

Hey, you can get a nasty static zap from shuffling across the carpet between the computer console and the coffee machine! A Nomex flight suit can prevent a disastrous Apollo 1 type incident. :rolleyes:

CommoNCO
05-06-2010, 13:45
Most of the guys I know with the Space badge claim that it's the Satellite Door Gunner badge, or the sattellite in-flight repair qual. All I know is that it looks like a Star Trek communicator...

Razor
05-07-2010, 09:15
The real tragedy is that many of the folks I see in a green bag REALLY shouldn't be wearing one; they would have a hard time fitting into a cockpit, let alone the uniform.

Red Flag 1
05-07-2010, 11:58
The real tragedy is that many of the folks I see in a green bag REALLY shouldn't be wearing one; they would have a hard time fitting into a cockpit, let alone the uniform.

Even in a "bag", the gig line is off for some.

RF 1

MasterOfMyFate
05-08-2010, 04:11
But having said that I am sure the Army Signal Command will come out with something equally goofy!

Quite possibly..... The Army did stand up a Network Warfare SMU about 1 1/2 yrs ago if I'm not mistaken.

greenberetTFS
05-08-2010, 05:22
Hey, you can get a nasty static zap from shuffling across the carpet between the computer console and the coffee machine! A Nomex flight suit can prevent a disastrous Apollo 1 type incident.

Your in good form UB, I like that one!............;):D;)

Big Teddy :munchin