PDA

View Full Version : Counterfeit CAT

Snaquebite
05-04-2010, 10:44
Apparently there are a lot of these floating around in country...it was explained to me that by "countefeit" it is inferring that they may not work correctly.

CAT (Gen III)

http://www.coalitiontacticalmedicine.org/wp-content/uploads/file/Combat%20Application%20Tourniquet%20%28GEN%20III%2 0vs%20%20E-CAT%29%20smallerfile.pdf

JJ_BPK
05-04-2010, 13:27
Apparently there are a lot of these floating around in country...it was explained to me that by "countefeit" it is inferring that they may not work correctly.

CAT (Gen III)

Are the troops buying the E-cat on eBay or is some turd sneaking them through the supply channels??

Snaquebite
05-04-2010, 14:09
From what I was told the military is not buying them. But they are appearing as a result of online purchases etc by indviduals and PSCs.

LongWire
05-04-2010, 15:23
Avoid the Stormtroopers...........Got it!!!! :D

Max_Tab
05-14-2010, 11:05

CAT (Gen III)

http://www.coalitiontacticalmedicine.org/wp-content/uploads/file/Combat%20Application%20Tourniquet%20%28GEN%20III%2 0vs%20%20E-CAT%29%20smallerfile.pdf

When you say they don't work, is that different from the real ones, that don't work correctly, or break?:D

DDD
05-14-2010, 11:15
They do not work properly. The windlass (stick) bends before adequete pressure is achieved. At least that is my understanding after reading a report on them, I haven't gotten a chance to lay hands on one yet.

Max_Tab
05-14-2010, 14:57
They do not work properly. The windlass (stick) bends before adequete pressure is achieved. At least that is my understanding after reading a report on them, I haven't gotten a chance to lay hands on one yet.

yeah that was my point. The CAT sucks and I refuse to use em. I have heard to many first person accounts of them breaking from people I trust to them.

98G
06-10-2010, 09:46
The PDF referenced at the beginning of this string is pretty comprehensive and explains the differences between the old CAT, current CAT and fake CAT.

Basically, if you have a red tip CAT, it works.

The fakes I saw were found in Afghanistan and traced back to a company in Hong Kong that makes airsoft equipment. So they are designed not to work and cheap. But they are also designed to look just like the old CAT, so a chance to save money and risk lives. Not good. PM me if you have any questions on the ones we saw.

DMMPO has put out a warning and the description provided by Snaquebite.

sofmed
07-30-2010, 20:33
When you say they don't work, is that different from the real ones, that don't work correctly, or break?:D

Of course there is the issue of OPERATOR error. In my extensive experience downrange, yes, I spent more time than I care to admit applying CATs...
The major problem with most folks is that they rely solely on the windlass to apply the pressure, when in fact the strap portion being cranked down as tight as you can absolutely get is is the key. This places LESS stress on the windlass when you do turn it a few times, and there will be fewer instances of "equipment failure" occurring.

I prefer the SOF-T to the CAT anyhow, and make sure it is on our order list instead.

I will, however, make sure to pass on the word concerning the fake CATs. Thanks for the heads-up!

Mick