PDA

View Full Version : Spartan / Harsey Model 1 Limited Edtion is ready!

mcarey
05-03-2010, 11:07
I posted previously about doing this project with Mr. Harsey. Well the first batch is done and Bill is working on the second batch.

Design and bevels hand ground by Bill Harsey.

Profile, Handles and the rest by Spartan Blades.

Great Kydex by Brian Wagner at Okuden.

These are all numbered XXX of 250.

SPECS:
Blade Steel - 3/16" CPMS30V
Handle Material - Black Micarta
Coating - PVD ZrN Spartacoat - Flat Dark Earth
Overall Length - 13 1/4"
Blade Length - 7 5/8"
Weight - 0.86 lbs (Shy of 14 oz)

Price: $550.00 retail (PS.com and SF discount does apply if you call me)

Thanks for checking it out and can't wait to show it off at Blade Show!:)

Snaquebite
05-03-2010, 11:32
That is one sweeeeet blade..........

jatx
05-03-2010, 11:51
Very nice!

JJ_BPK
05-03-2010, 12:17
Very SEXY..

Job VERY well done...

Tatonka316
05-03-2010, 13:42
I received two last week - one for my youngest son, and one that will visit "one tribe at a time" VERY soon!!! They are truly beautiful blades and the collaborative effort between Bill, Curtis and Mark have resulted in a TREMENDOUS knife!!!

Thanks brothers!:D:D:D

molon labe - LITERALLY!!!:lifter

mcarey
05-03-2010, 14:00
I received two last week - one for my youngest son, and one that will visit "one tribe at a time" VERY soon!!! They are truly beautiful blades and the collaborative effort between Bill, Curtis and Mark have resulted in a TREMENDOUS knife!!!

Thanks brothers!:D:D:D

molon labe - LITERALLY!!!:lifter
Jeff, You are welcome! All the best, Mark

Team Sergeant
05-03-2010, 20:33
Will be sending my check ASAP.... very nice looking knives!

Dozer523
05-03-2010, 20:45
Why does this Sunday have to be Mother's Day?

PiterM
05-04-2010, 05:42
Awesome knife! I really like that design. Quite aggressive! :D

greenberetTFS
05-04-2010, 06:08
Why does this Sunday have to be Mother's Day?

Dozer,don't give up! I bought Maggie a Yarborough on our 52nd and honestly she loves it...;)

Big Teddy :munchin

greenberetTFS
05-04-2010, 06:18
I posted previously about doing this project with Mr. Harsey. Well the first batch is done and Bill is working on the second batch.

Design and bevels hand ground by Bill Harsey.

Profile, Handles and the rest by Spartan Blades.

Great Kydex by Brian Wagner at Okuden.

These are all numbered XXX of 250.

SPECS:
Blade Steel - 3/16" CPMS30V
Handle Material - Black Micarta
Coating - PVD ZrN Spartacoat - Flat Dark Earth
Overall Length - 13 1/4"
Blade Length - 7 5/8"
Weight - 0.86 lbs (Shy of 14 oz)

Price: $550.00 retail (PS.com and SF discount does apply if you call me)

Thanks for checking it out and can't wait to show it off at Blade Show!:)

Just one question...........Is the gold plated one $550.00 ?........ They are beautiful.......

MeC86
05-04-2010, 07:37
Man that is a good looking blade. Id be afraid to use it on anything for fear of a scratch or damage. Nice work.

CPTAUSRET
05-04-2010, 08:35
Lovely blade...Beautiful workmanship.

I may buy one for my wife, that'll work!

mcarey
05-04-2010, 09:25
Man that is a good looking blade. Id be afraid to use it on anything for fear of a scratch or damage. Nice work.

The coating is zirconium nitride bonded at the atomic level to the S30V blade. The zirconium makes it very wear / abrasion resistant. If you do scratch it, we can recoat it and re laser. Once it is in you hand you want to use it.

FMF DOC
05-04-2010, 11:10
Very Very Nice...

MeC86
05-04-2010, 11:17
The coating is zirconium nitride bonded at the atomic level to the S30V blade. The zirconium makes it very wear / abrasion resistant. If you do scratch it, we can recoat it and re laser. Once it is in you hand you want to use it.

Wow thats some awesome customer service. Ive torn up some knives in my lifetime and never had that offer. I did get a replacement from Benchmade one time for a broken part. Now you've got me checking my bank account....

LongWire
05-04-2010, 11:19
Beautiful.........does it come with a bead on the Lanyard??? ;)

mcarey
05-04-2010, 12:33
Beautiful.........does it come with a bead on the Lanyard??? ;)

No..but if you ask nice I can put one on.;)

badshot
05-04-2010, 23:49
Very nice job, well thought out handle shape...

S.Gossman
05-05-2010, 17:17
Very, very nice. Great looking knife.
Scott

Bill Harsey
05-05-2010, 22:26
mcarey,
Thanks for everything including organizing the photos by Chuck Pittman.
(D*mn Chuck, now we have to try and make the stinkin' knives look as good as you do. ;))

Thanks for the kind words from all you here too.

If you could measure the hardness of the zirconium nitride coating alone it would be a Rockwell "C" scale hardness of 92.

On the same Rockwell "C" scale the blade steel is 59-60.

footnote:
The Rockwell scales are used to test a given materials ability to resist surface indentation. Hardness does not automatically mean more edge holding because of the types of carbides contained within the matrix of a given alloy of tool steel, as well as the composition of the matrix that supports the carbides.

There are tool steels that have better edge holding at a lower Rockwell hardness than others that are harder.

MeC86
05-06-2010, 07:10
The Rockwell scales are used to test a given materials ability to resist surface indentation. Hardness does not automatically mean more edge holding because of the types of carbides contained within the matrix of a given alloy of tool steel, as well as the composition of the matrix that supports the carbides.

There are tool steels that have better edge holding at a lower Rockwell hardness than others that are harder.

This forum has really opened my eyes to the complexities of making a knife. I used to think it was a matter of forming a piece of metal into the shape, sharpening it, and slapping a handle of some sort on there....boy was I wrong.

DJ Urbanovsky
05-06-2010, 11:25
Congrats to Bill and Spartan Knives...

That's a sweet knife!

Looking forward to seeing those at Bladeshow.

x SF med
05-08-2010, 15:27
these knives are ugly ,don't fit your hand, poorly balanced, and made from tinfoil... buy them and send them to me for recycling. :rolleyes:

Bill Harsey
05-08-2010, 18:30
these knives are ugly ,don't fit your hand, poorly balanced, and made from tinfoil... buy them and send them to me for recycling. :rolleyes:

Nice to see your back at work.

Peregrino
05-08-2010, 18:51

I think somebody needs to check your meds again! :p You're obviously halucinating. (Glad to see you're rejoining the world with at least some of your humor intact - though I'm betting you've lost a lot of "dignity" over the last few days. :D)