PDA

View Full Version : Vintage 7th group coin


orko
05-03-2010, 09:36
Vintage 7th Group coin, Guessing its from late 60s-early 70s. No engravings, in excellent shape considering its age. I may be interested in trading it for other vintage SF items.

*******ON HOLD, PENDING TRADE*******

Richard
05-03-2010, 09:43
I paid $3 for mine from the Group Adjutant in '72 - we needed to make sure we had one before going before a promotion board headed by the Group CSM. ;)

Richard

orko
05-03-2010, 09:49
I paid $3 for mine from the Group Adjutant in '72. ;)

Richard

Hard to price history. but thats what I paid for my origional 10th group coin, so I think its a good start point

Eagle5US
05-03-2010, 11:05
Other than no engraving...it looks EXACTLY like mine. The one I got...in 1989.
Any documentation it is from one of the previous decades???

Just askin.

Eagle

Razor
05-03-2010, 13:46
Carbon dating? :D

orko
05-03-2010, 16:52
Other than no engraving...it looks EXACTLY like mine. The one I got...in 1989.
Any documentation it is from one of the previous decades???

Just askin.

Eagle

Fair enough,

the most noticeable difference would be the detail, most of the modern reproductions were done using the impression mold method of reproduction. During this process you loose some of the detail. For example the lines come out abit thicker, and the small imperfections dissapear.

the one offered by a member here is a newer reproduction:

http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/tt327/ACE844Challengecoins/ACE844s%20Trades/?action=view&current=P4120440.jpg

with only minor differences. (Although the "with honor" scroll seems to be missing?) :rolleyes:

the patina(the film or incrustation, produced by oxidation on the surface of old bronze) is a dead give away. Along with the tiny "B" stamped into the coin edge (bronze).

As far as documentation, I have no specific paperwork for this. I will however personally gaurentee it. I have done pretty extensive research while tring to locate my origional 10th group coin. Many of the early coins were done by the same manufacture and share certain simularities.

I purchased it at an antique store in AZ. This perticular store offered cases for rent. The coin was among other military items on cosignment from a single family estate. Which I am told is pretty common there with the VA facilities near by.

they don't make them like they used to;) Or we can just send it to Richard and compare it to his:D

Santo Tomas
05-05-2010, 11:56
That looks like mine. How old is 'vintage'?

Pete
05-05-2010, 12:52
Here are a couple of 5th Group Coins. When the 5th Group changed it's flash the SF Museum was selling numbered coins with the new flash. In addition to the 037 there is also @1985P.P. The one on the right was picked up about 5 years ago.

orko
05-06-2010, 03:53
That looks like mine. How old is 'vintage'?

I suppose it looks like many of the coins to date. How old is vintage, thats probably a topic in itself.... But if this is the curent one:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/priorservice_2102_78549464

than this one is old, OLD. back when the coins were in English :D