PDA

View Full Version : Maj (ret) Roger M. Pickett

koz
04-30-2010, 12:56
Just heard that Roger lost his battle with cancer - RIP warrior.

Here's his bio - LINK (http://www.otc.army.mil/Hall%20of%20Fame/pickett.htm)

Born 19 December 1949 in Kinston, North Carolina, Major (Retired) Roger Pickett entered the US Army in October 1969. He completed jump school at Fort Benning, Georgia, in December 1969 and was in the final weeks of Special Forces medical training when he was selected and sent to OCS at Fort Benning which was completed in September 1970. After completing OCS and Special Forces training (March 1971) he was assigned to the 6th Special Forces Group at Ft Bragg, North Carolina. He was assigned in various positions of responsibility including A-Detachment Commander, Operations Officer and Company Commander. He went to the Republic of Vietnam TDY during 1971, 1972, and 1973 working with the C-130 SPECTRE gunships.

In 1973 Major Pickett was assigned to the 1st Special Forces Group in Okinawa where he was assigned as a scuba detachment commander and later as the 1st Battalion Operations Officer. Returning to the 5th Special Forces Group in 1975 Major Pickett commanded the Gabriel Demonstration detachment. He commanded the 5th Special Forces Group Headquarters Company for 18 months. In October 1978 he attended and successfully completed the second selection class for 1st SFOD-Delta. He worked at Delta from 1978 through 1983 as a Troop Commander and as the Assistant Operations Officer.

Major Pickett assumed command of the Military Freefall School, USAJFKSWCS, in 1983. The school had been closed for 18 months due to a parachuting fatality. Tasked by then BG Joe Lutz he rapidly reopened the school utilizing modern parachuting technology known as ram air parachutes and began training the students in the rudiments of freefall using a wind tunnel. The graduation rate went from 50% to more than 95% using modern parachute equipment and wind tunnel technology. His HALO Instructor number is # 129.

Major Pickett was assigned as a Test Officer at the Airborne and Special Operations Test Directorate (ABNSOTD), Operational Test Command, from 1986 through his retirement from active duty in 1989. He made the first Military Tandem parachute jump with SGM Santos Matos as a passenger in 1980 with a ram air parachute "two person harness system" he made himself, which was three years ahead of the now popular commercial system. He conducted the Military Tandem Parachute test at the ABNSOTD in 1987 for Special Forces. Mr. Pickett designed and built a drogue assisted static line parachute system and demonstrated it from 300 feet above ground level; a U.S. Air Force approved camera mount for C-130 and C-17 cargo troop doors to capture paratrooper exists on video; and a motorized torso dummy roller conveyer system. Also, while assigned to the ABNSOTD, Mr. Pickett designed and personally jump tested a military freefall bundle system in response to an urgent mission need from a classified special operations detachment conducting combat operations in operation Enduring Freedom. This item has since been successfully used on numerous high altitude insertion operations throughout SW Asia. These achievements of Mr. Pickett while assigned to the ABNSOTD are all recognized as "one of a kind" which could not otherwise have been done without his singular technical knowledge, skills, and personal determination.

During his military career Major Pickett attended the following schools: HALO Jumpmaster School, SCUBA School, SERE School, Ranger School, and Command & General Staff College. He was also a commercial pilot with multi-engine instrument ratings and 4600+ accident free flying hours and more than 15,000 landings.

Mr. Pickett made 7,230 freefall parachute jumps until he made his final jump in May 2004. He had more than 72 hours of freefall time. His highest freefall parachute jump was made from 37,500 feet mean sea level. He held every rating in the United States Parachute Association including the coveted Instructor Examiner rating. He held the Master Parachute Rigger rating from the Federal Aviation Association.

After retirement from the Army Mr. Pickett flew jump aircraft for two years. In 1991 he returned to the ABNSOTD and worked for the C-17 Test Program. In 1993 he returned to USAJFKSWCS as a military freefall instructor. In 1997 he returned to the ABNSOTD and served as a Test Officer until his retirement in 2005.

Major Pickett’s awards and decorations include the Scuba Badge, Military Freefall Jumpmaster Badge, Special Forces Tab, Ranger Tab, Republic of Vietnam service medal, Meritorious Service Medal (3), and Army Commendation Medal (5).

Mr. Pickett resides in Raeford, North Carolina, and continues his pursuit of restoring antique tractors.

The Reaper
04-30-2010, 14:02
Sad news indeed.

Roger was a great fighter and was one of the original sky gods.

RIP, hermano. Thank you for your service.

TR

Red Flag 1
04-30-2010, 14:48
Rest In Peace Warrior!

rdret1
04-30-2010, 16:40
Rest in peace Maj. Pickett.

SF_BHT
04-30-2010, 17:08
Rest in Peace Brother
I knew him well and learned a lot from him over the years. He was a true professional and a friend .... He will be missed.......

JJ_BPK
04-30-2010, 17:43
RIP Maj Pickett, Vaya con Dios..

Green Light
04-30-2010, 17:48
He was a great innovator and instructor. I was on two of his tests at the Abn Board and had a finger in the C-17 pie. One of a kind.

Mission Complete.

WonderHog
04-30-2010, 18:34
So glad you posted Maj Pickett's contributions and exploits! He has made so many advances to the SOF community. I went through HALO school in 1980 - MC-1 Slip Risers and Chest Mount Reserves.... transitioned to MC-3s for the "cutting-edge" technology for that time.... :) I remember him and met him several times but never worked direct for him.

I hope he will be remembered for a long time for all that he did for who he was. May he rest in peace.

Habu-MFFI 175
04-30-2010, 20:23
I know Roger on a professional and personal level. Great guy always a smile and laugh for ya.

After Roger retired he moved back to Kinston with his wife. He battled a brave fight and always still saw the light. I shared a last visit with a few other SF brothers to Rogers a few weeks ago where Roger was still all smiles.

Love ya brother and keep the faith.

Habu

Habu-MFFI 175
05-02-2010, 15:43
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/kinston/obituary.aspx?n=roger-montgomery-pickett&pid=142388056

Box
05-02-2010, 16:58
The world lost a gem when Mr Pickett passed. You will be missed sir.
Blue skies and soft landings to you

1stindoor
05-02-2010, 18:14
Rest In Peace. Another great loss to the community.

greenberetTFS
05-03-2010, 05:26
God Bless,Rest in Peace,Warrior.................:(

Big Teddy

Rogue
05-03-2010, 07:27
Rest in Peace

SRGross
05-03-2010, 12:13
Roger was a Oustanding man, great soldier and a good friend to me and my family. He helped me get my father's Combat Halo Wings some 35 yrs after the jump.
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. "
George S. Patton

You have fought your last battle my friend, now rest in peace.

nousdefions
05-03-2010, 16:45
RIP Warrior and Godspeed. Your friends and family are in my prayers

ZonieDiver
05-03-2010, 16:51
Rest In Peace, Sir.

Habu-MFFI 175
05-08-2010, 11:36
I attended the Memorial Service for Roger and talked with some SF brothers I haven't seen in 25 years. Seems like about 20 SF guys. A great memorial and hope to see Roger on the other side...

De Oppresso Liber
Habu