PDA

View Full Version : Old Yankee Cutting Boards

Bill Harsey
04-29-2010, 20:52
One of the critical uses of knives remains food preparation and one should use a good cutting board under the blade.

Here is a link to the cutting boards used by both Chris Reeve (ok, Anne Reeve ;) ) and myself: http://oldyankeecuttingboards.com/

The guy who runs this outfit is a great friend of both of ours and my fault for not posting this link much earlier.

The wood he uses is as amazing as the quality of construction and craft he puts into them.

PSM
04-29-2010, 21:04
One of the critical uses of knives remains food preparation and one should use a good cutting board under the blade.

Here is a link to the cutting boards used by both Chris Reeve (ok, Anne Reeve ;) ) and myself: http://oldyankeecuttingboards.com/

The guy who runs this outfit is a great friend of both of ours and my fault for not posting this link much earlier.

The wood he uses is as amazing as the quality of construction and craft he puts into them.

Bless you, Bill, for being so timely! Our 25th anniversary is next week and, with my wife, it's always carbon-steel, cast iron, or wood. We have more cutting boards than knives! One more is never too much. ;)

Pat

MILDOT
06-24-2010, 07:23
Guys,
I just recieved a cutting board from Dean at Old Yankee! I have to say that it is a true example of American craftsmanship. No doubt that is is made to last a life time. I'm confident my Grandchildren will be uysing this one.

orion5
06-24-2010, 07:39
just recieved a cutting board from Dean at Old Yankee!

PICS? :)

Bill Harsey
06-24-2010, 09:57
PICS? :)

Click on the link in the first post here. ;)

orion5
06-24-2010, 09:59
Click on the link in the first post here. ;)

Ok, smart guy, I know each one is unique....was hoping to see Curtis'!

Bill Harsey
06-24-2010, 10:02

I knew that.

The Reaper
06-24-2010, 10:06

Really???:munchin

TR

orion5
06-24-2010, 10:09
Really???:munchin

TR

I think I need to back out of this before it gets any worse.

Carry on, gentlemen! :D

(Mildot, help!)

Ken Brock
06-24-2010, 19:47
you couldn't find any Southern cutting boards?

;)

Ambush Master
06-24-2010, 19:54

:D:D Curtis' WHAT?!?!?!:munchin

DJ Urbanovsky
06-30-2010, 11:12
Those are really beautiful boards, and the pricing is very attractive considering they're handmade one at a time in the USA. From the pics, I'd have thought they would be way more expensive than that.

Workshop pics: Holy schmolly! All of that gorgeous wood. Made my pants tight.

I know where my next cutting board is coming from. Thanks for posting this, Bill!

Culpeper
07-04-2010, 23:56
I thought wood cutting boards were obsolete due to higher risk of food poisoning.

echoes
07-05-2010, 07:40
I thought wood cutting boards were obsolete due to higher risk of food poisoning.

Actually, no.:lifter See below the FDA guidelines, and the Old Yankee Boards PDF on Board care:

http://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/Seniors/ucm182679.htm#home

Food Safety at Home

"Just follow four basic rules -- Clean, Separate, Cook and Chill -- and you will Fight BAC!® (bacteria that can cause foodborne illness.) Fight BAC!® is a national education campaign designed to teach everyone about food safety. Keep these Fight BAC!® rules in mind.

Clean: Wash hands and surfaces often.

Bacteria can be present throughout the kitchen, including on cutting boards, utensils, sponges and counter tops. Here's how to Fight BAC!®
Wash your hands with warm water and soap before and after handling food and after using the bathroom, changing diapers and handling pets.

Wash your cutting boards, dishes, utensils and counter tops with hot water and soap after preparing each food item and before you go on to the next food. Periodically, kitchen sanitizers (including a solution of 1 tablespoon of unscented, liquid chlorine bleach to 1 gallon of water) can be used for added protection.

Once cutting boards (including plastic, non-porous, acrylic and wooden boards) become excessively worn or develop hard-to-clean grooves, you should replace them.

Consider using paper towels to clean up kitchen surfaces. If you use cloth towels, wash them often in the hot cycle of your washing machine.

Also Important: Rinse raw produce in water. Don't use soap or other detergents. If necessary -- and appropriate -- use a small vegetable brush to remove surface dirt."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://oldyankeecuttingboards.com/BoardCare/care_cleaning.pdf

With proper care and cleaning, your OLD YANKEE CUTTING BOARDS product
will be enjoyed by you and your family for many years.

Each board has been hand-treated with a triple coat of environmentally safe mineral oil for your convenience. It is recommended that you oil your board regularly to prevent dryness, odor and bacteria retention and staining.*

Treating or seasoning your OLD YANKEE CUTTING BOARDS product:
1. Using a clean cotton cloth or paper towel, coat the cutting board surface with a thin layer of mineral oil or other oil product made especially for cutting boards. Always work in the direction of the natural wood grain.
2. Let the oil soak in.
3. Remove any excess oil with a clean cotton cloth or paper towel.

Cleaning your OLD YANKEE CUTTING BOARDS product:
1. Clean your board using hot soapy water. Never allow the board to soak in water for any length of time.
2. Dry board with a soft cotton cloth or allow it to air dry.
3. NEVER put the cutting board in the dishwasher.

Sanitizing your OLD YANKEE CUTTING BOARDS product:
1. Sanitize your board using a vinegar and water solution (1 part vinegar to 5 parts water)
2. Using a clean cotton cloth, wash the board with vinegar solution.
3. Allow it to stand for a few minutes
4. Rinse and pat dry or allow it to air dry.

* NEVER use olive or vegetable oil as they may become rancid. Always follow food safety recommendations when working with raw foods to avoid cross contamination.

HOLLiS
07-05-2010, 09:44
When I was a Freshman in high school wood shop, our aged teacher told us to use Olive Oil as a preservative/protector for the cutting boards. I have been recently informed.. there are better alternatives. I also used olive oil to lubricate faucets. (great for cooking too)

Echo, thank you for the info.

One of the other big mistake is to use pull out shelves as cutting boards, If they are pushed in, the inside of the slot is often ignored and therefore not cleaned.

Those boards are just beautiful.

Sigaba
07-05-2010, 15:16
Ok, smart guy, I know each one is unique....was hoping to see Curtis'!If he shows you his will you show us yours?

echoes
07-05-2010, 16:10
Those boards are just beautiful.

http://oldyankeecuttingboards.com/

Indeed, the choice of woods alone from Old Yankee is impressive, not-to-metion the hand craftmansship brought to each Board.

Holly

Culpeper
07-05-2010, 18:09
Actually, no. See below the FDA guidelines, and the Old Yankee Boards PDF on Board care:

Thanks. Good job. Learned something new and I've always like wood boards over synthetic any day.

greyfox
12-17-2011, 16:55
Resurrecting an old thread..

Mr. Harsey,

I received my cutting board from Dean a few days ago, it is absolutely gorgeous - I know the recipient will be very happy! Thanks for the heads up to Old Yankee, and Dean for his outstanding work!

Team Sergeant
12-18-2011, 16:05
I have had a Catskill "Super Slab (http://www.catskillcraftsmen.com/Boards/12020.html)" for years and really like it. It does not move!

Next time I'll get a Old Yankee Cutting Board, you can never have too many cutting boards!;)

mcarey
12-20-2011, 19:51
I use my old Yankee board almost everyday, it looks just as good as the day I got it! Just a little care and it will last you a long time. I just wish my kitchen was as well made and constructed. ;)

Darklight
12-29-2011, 13:16
Those are looking terrific ! Thanks for the information Bill !

Snaquebite
12-29-2011, 14:04
Just happen to be making a few right now.

Bill Harsey
01-04-2012, 07:19

That's good stuff.

cszakolczai
01-04-2012, 22:16

What kinda lumber you got there?

x SF med
01-07-2012, 10:41

What's in the diet coke bottle, and why do you drink diet coke in the first place?:D

(yes, I know it's carpenter's glue... I like hide glue for stuff like cutting boards, gorilla glue for furniture repair...)

Snaquebite
01-07-2012, 11:13
Wood is a mixture of Brazillian Cherry, maple, walnut, and mahogany

I also use hide glue depending on the join....

x SF med
01-09-2012, 17:35
Wood is a mixture of Brazillian Cherry, maple, walnut, and mahogany

I also use hide glue depending on the join....

I'm still concerned that you drink diet coke... you don't need the diet part

See you at SHOT? or not?