PDA

View Full Version : CDQC Packing List Prep

BobLandry
04-27-2010, 18:33
This is Bob Landry - new guest with a quick question.

Have at son at UMaine, Army ROTC, varsity swimmer and he is lucky as can be to be on orders for CDQC in May.

Trying to get his UDT Swim Trunks squared away. Packing list says sew OD name tape on right leg. Question is - Does it go on the bottom seam or how far above it? Also - Does it go parallel with bottom seam or with waistband?

Thanks again for privilege of participating.

exsquid
04-27-2010, 20:06
Name tapes (or stencil if you are so inclined) runs paralell to the hem approximately 1" above the bottom. Not a big deal, it isn't a DSPI item.

x/S

BobLandry
04-27-2010, 20:17
Got it. Thanks much.

All the best, Bob

JJ_BPK
04-28-2010, 05:46
This is Bob Landry - new guest with a quick question.

Have at son at UMaine, Army ROTC, varsity swimmer and he is lucky as can be to be on orders for CDQC in May.

Thanks again for privilege of participating.

Welcome to PS.com Bob.

Congratulations to your son. I understand ROTC only gets 10 slots a yr for CDOC. KW will be quite a challenge to him, there are over 500 bars & night clubs,, and then there is the PT on Flemming Key. I wish him luck..

I was fortunate to go through in 69', when it was easy.

We were given one(1) pair each of Keds and Navy shorts, and two(2) T-shirts. With-out name tags. :eek:

Laundry was easy as we wore the same outfit to PT that we swam in. It was cleaned and bleached every day on the swims.

The Keds were free but lacked a lot in arch support, foot cushioning, ankle support, blaster prevention, and they stunk in salt water,, but they were free.. Anyway, I understand that the roads on Flemming are now paved, that's good...

Again Welcome,, Invite your son to join, If he doesn't already have a copy, there is a fellow here that wrote a book about SFAS, worth getting a copy.

The author has been known to jump into the conversations here..

Get Selected for Special Forces by Lt Col J. Martin.

This is a guidebook on How to Successfully Complete Assessment & Selection for Army Special Forces

Special Thanks to Lieutenant Colonel Joe Martin for donating all proceeds from the sale of "Get Selected" to the Warrior Foundation. 100% of the purchase price of $19.95 is donated to the Warrior Foundation for its scholarship programs. Shipping costs are not tax-deductible.

http://www.specialops.org/?page=GetSelected

The new Keds have a KW camo, while ours were just plain white. :(

From Bone Island, in the Conch Republic.. :lifter:lifter

SFSalRet08
04-28-2010, 08:01
First, Congrats on your sons schooling to CDQC. Being a former instructor from there I can give you some good dos and don’ts. Getting the uniform right is a good start. Can’t tell you how many times I had seen student come and sign in and right away having a bad start because they did not have the correct uniform. Make sure your medical records are complete and within date. Again I have seen students get dropped from the course and sent home because of incomplete med records. As far as the name on the UDT shorts a sewed on name tape on the right bottom leg is good. Parallel to the hem approximately 1" above the bottom will be fine. As Exsquid had stated and he is correct it is not a Dive Supervisor Primary Inspection (DSPI) gig item. Depending on your last name (as how many letters) 1” black stenciled letters on the chest and back will be where the name will go. Here is a good site: http://thede.tripod.com/scuba.html. He will have to make a few adjustments to the packing list. There is not updated (BDU”S Vs. ACU’s) No big deal but has a great overview. Dos & Don’ts. 1) Don’t do nothing stupid! 2) Do Hydrate. The water you drink today will do you good tomorrow. 3) The pain will go away. 4) Do No self medicate. 5) Do stop taking supplements (DO STOP). 6) No G-2ing the course. Like water the course is fluid (Ever changing). If you go during Hurricane season, be prepared to evacuate to Orlando “Yea Disney World Here I come”! I am sure there is much much much more I could tell you, but again try not to G2 the course. And I am sure he is getting ready physically, but mentally he also he needs to be. Good Luck. And if I can be of further assistants you can always PM me. Remember plan your dive. Dive your plan!

Last hard class
04-28-2010, 11:05
Congratulations! I hope your son is successful. That being said, I have an open question to the board:

ROTC slots to KW? What is the resoning behind this? Seems like a waste of resources to me.

Are the cadets required to pass pre-scuba or are possible future officers exempt? The reason I ask is, the pass rate in KW was much, much higher if you had experienced pre-scuba. If ROTC has only ten slots you would think they would want to send guys with the highest chance of passing the course.

The Reaper
04-28-2010, 11:15
Guys, if you refer to the board rules/stickies and the rules for this forum, we ask people not to post unless they are QPs.

The instructions for being vetted as a QP are also posted.

Again, please refrain from posting responses in SF Questions unless you are a vetted QP.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

TR

1stindoor
04-28-2010, 13:14
First off, congrats to your son. As a long time diver...my best advice is to be "Too Stupid, to Quit." There's always one event that'll mess with your head, especially if you fail at it one time. Seventeen years later...it is still one of the proudest moments of my career...and that came when I completed the course on my SECOND attempt.

BobLandry
04-30-2010, 01:53
Thanks to QPs exsquid, JJ BPK, SFSalRet08, and 1stindoor. Excellent information.

Also thanks for the good wishes. My son will start Pre-Scuba at West Point on 10 May and, if he makes the grade, on to Key West directly after that.

WonderHog
04-30-2010, 10:16
Congrats! My son is in Dive Sup as I write this. He is a second generation CDQC Grad - my graduation back in Jan 80 was a proud moment - CCR 1000 (R2D2 as we called it) but when my son graduated I was even more proud. Of course when he graduates Dive Sup I will be even more prouder for him being a second generation Dive Sup. Ernie Jensen put me through........

Best advice to give your son is " One event at a time - One day at a time. Next event!" In simple terms; do not think about what tomorrow brings - focus on the here and now and give it your best.

Divemaster
05-05-2010, 03:00
I am not a CDQC grad, but I did graduate WIC in '91 at the same location. Back then, there was a stencil machine available to us students to put our names on our UDTs. Is that still an option?

BobLandry
05-05-2010, 17:38
Alcon,

Thanks also to QPs Wonderhog and Divemaster. My son's UDT swim trunks are squared away and in the mail. Everyone who posted provided solid advice and encouragement. He starts Pre-Scuba on 10 May.

All the best, Bob

WonderHog
05-14-2010, 20:56
I wanted to "brag" a little and tell the community that my SF Son graduated CDS today down in Key West!!! Not many 2nd Gen CDQCs and even fewer 2nd Gen CDSs....

Congrats to my son and the rest of the class!!! He commented that the Dive Plan was a definite challenge and well worth it in the end to put all the pieces together. He also commented that he did not realize how much work had to be done behind the scenes to prepare for the dive operation.

I am a proud Dad.....

Wonderhog

JJ_BPK
05-15-2010, 04:43
I wanted to "brag" a little and tell the community that my SF Son graduated CDS today down in Key West!!!

I am a proud Dad.....

Wonderhog

Congratulations to your son & the proud Pa-Pa..

:D:lifter:lifter:D

Combat Diver
05-16-2010, 00:37
I wanted to "brag" a little and tell the community that my SF Son graduated CDS today down in Key West!!! Not many 2nd Gen CDQCs and even fewer 2nd Gen CDSs....

Congrats to my son and the rest of the class!!! He commented that the Dive Plan was a definite challenge and well worth it in the end to put all the pieces together. He also commented that he did not realize how much work had to be done behind the scenes to prepare for the dive operation.

I am a proud Dad.....

Wonderhog

Congrats to your son and to a proud father. :D

My son is also a second gen CDQC grad and is currently there for requal.

CD

WonderHog
05-16-2010, 09:59
Welcome to a small group ...... 2nd Gen CDQC Dad's..... :)

I know you are proud as well. Congrats!

Wonderhog

BobLandry
07-03-2010, 11:32
Just to finish the story, my son graduated CDQC on 1 Jul. He had a great experience, with first class instructors and phenomenal training. Thanks again to all QPs who posted answers and advice.