PDA

View Full Version : Parachutes!!

Ambush Master
04-25-2010, 19:12
Who's still jumping??

I went to a '70s-'80s Skydiving reunion last weekend at Spaceland, southwest of Houston, and have drug my '71 MK1 32" Shortlined Paracommander out of the closet and just finished packing it!! Soon to be Knees in the Breeze!!

Later
Martin

orion5
04-25-2010, 23:45
Soon to be Knees in the Breeze!!

Oh no....here we go......

ALERT: People of Texas, please stay inside and lock your doors...we have a SOG Vet taking to the skies! :D

I raise my glass to you, and Blood On The Risers, my friend. :cool:

o5

JJ_BPK
04-26-2010, 04:35
Who's still jumping??

Soon to be Knees in the Breeze!!

Later
Martin

Not me,, butt I B Jealous...

Martin,, please land on the NORTH side of the river.

We do not want to read about an international incident involving American Special Forces Mercenary VFOG's invading Mexico while liberating a truck load of Dos Equis Gold..

Stay Safe..

SF_BHT
04-26-2010, 04:54
Who's still jumping??

I went to a '70s-'80s Skydiving reunion last weekend at Spaceland, southwest of Houston, and have drug my '71 MK1 32" Shortlined Paracommander out of the closet and just finished packing it!! Soon to be Knees in the Breeze!!

Later
Martin

Martin

I still jump. The best thing you can do is donate that rig to the museum. It is way too old to use. Time to get a new one so you will come back to earth nice and soft.

Good luck. SF_BHT

CSB
04-26-2010, 07:38
Yeah, there are several of us OFC that still jump, but I'm not sure I'd want these 57 year old knees landing under a PC, or even my Delta II Parawing that's still in the garage.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23714

Go for the big ram air.

Richard
04-26-2010, 07:58
...drug my '71 MK1 32" Shortlined Paracommander out of the closet and just finished packing it!! Soon to be Knees in the Breeze!!

Better make sure that reserve is new! ;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

The Reaper
04-26-2010, 09:11
I think I have my old Papillion lying around somewhere, along with a 23' Tricon reserve.

I do not think I want to experiment with the tensile strength of 30+ year old nylon.

Blue skies, hermano.

TR

Papa Zero Three
04-26-2010, 11:41
Martin

I still jump. The best thing you can do is donate that rig to the museum. It is way too old to use. Time to get a new one so you will come back to earth nice and soft.

Good luck. SF_BHT

If anyone has old gear they would like to donate to the National Skydiving Museum you can go about donating by clicking HERE (http://www.skydivingmuseum.org/EquipmentDocumentbrDonations/tabid/61/Default.aspx)

Ambush Master
04-26-2010, 16:12
I got a 7 cell Flight Concepts 265 sqft Main and a Para-Flite Swift Plus 225 sqft Reserve this past weekend. They're in a Talon 2 Rig with a Cypres that's good for 18 months. The main supposidly only has 50 Jumps on it and the Reserve has never been used. Got the whole rig for $1500!!!

Later
Martin

Green Light
04-26-2010, 17:32
I got a 7 cell Flight Concepts 265 sqft Main and a Para-Flite Swift Plus 225 sqft Reserve this past weekend. They're in a Talon 2 Rig with a Cypres that's good for 18 months. The main supposidly only has 50 Jumps on it and the Reserve has never been used. Got the whole rig for $1500!!!

Later
Martin

Sold all my skydiving stuff in 94 and made my last jump in 95. Had my first spinal fusions in 07. :D

For me, jumping is now a spectator sport.

ZonieDiver
04-26-2010, 17:41

Last jump: DZ Humor at Ft. Huachuca, AZ from a Huey, late November, 1982!

For me, jumping is also a "spectator sport" - save for an occasional dream! :D

The Reaper
04-26-2010, 18:16

Later
Martin

Martin:

Congrats!

Big rig for your size. Should be nice, soft landings.

Enjoy and be careful.

TR

PSM
04-26-2010, 21:11
Who's still jumping??

Later
Martin

Is this the one that saved your bacon at Beaumont?

Pat

Utah Bob
04-27-2010, 07:55
The spirit is willing but the knees are weak.:p

Ret10Echo
04-27-2010, 08:04
The spirit is willing but the knees are weak.:p

With a properly applied flare and some low winds working for you...get in the front riser, build some speed and .........surf's up! (knees not required) :D

Ambush Master
04-27-2010, 16:02
Is this the one that saved your bacon at Beaumont?

Pat

Negative, I had it on, but I deployed the Tricon (Reserve)!!

Green Light
04-27-2010, 18:19
I used to have a Russian Paracommander. That thing was both cool and scrary. It was inclined to open after coaxing. Then I bought a 5 cell Parafoil 180 sq ft. That was FAST! After that I bought one of those Units. Nice, very responsive, but would flair after you were about three feet in the dirt. My last rig was in a talon container. I had a black strato cloud with a unit 2 reserve. Finally sold it at a discount - the darned guy didn't think he should have paid fair dollar because my name was embroidered on the main lift web. Those were the days.

Full disclosure: that's not my parachute - but I'm reasonably sure that's a Russian PC.

Buffalobob
04-28-2010, 12:14
Remember to steer for the deuce and a half's so you don't have to carry it so far. :D

Ambush Master
04-29-2010, 22:06
I received the Rig today!!!

It is as advertised!! VERY clean rig!!

If the WX allows, I'll jump it on Sunday!!

Later.
Martin

orion5
05-02-2010, 12:22
......wait.........I see something in the sky. WHAT IS THAT? :cool::cool:

Ambush Master
05-02-2010, 20:09
Went down to Stephenville this afternoon, got a basic block of instruction on packing the rig, packed it twice before the jump. Hung in the IA Drill Harness for about 1/2 hour while being shown all varieties of pictures of malfunctions and I responded correctly to them all. Went up to 6K and was flat, stable, and maintained heading down to 4K, then the FUN BEGAN!! When I went to grab the Pilot Chute, I dropped my head slightly and found myself entering into a "Front-Loop"!! I pulled my left arm down, completed the Loop and when I went to the "Stable" position, I had the Pilot Chute in my right hand, gave a wave off and LETER RIP!!! Positive opening, made a few turns, various Brake positions and I couldn't get it to stall, Winds were 15-20 steady with higher gusts, so when I got below 100 things really got squirrely, but I kept it flying and did a PLF just as a precaution!!!

Will be back down there shortly!!!:D :lifter

Later
Martin

JJ_BPK
05-02-2010, 20:22
Went down to Stephenville this afternoon,

Will be back down there shortly!!!:D :lifter

Later
Martin

Congrats Martin,, We need pictures?? :D:D

PSM
05-02-2010, 21:17
Congrats Martin,, We need pictures?? :D:D

Especially the smile on your face! :D ;)

Pat

Ambush Master
05-06-2010, 18:03
Well, since I didn't land on the DZ and I was "in the sun" during descent, we didn't get any "Canopy" pics. That Jump suit was from the early '70s when Doc, the "Pilot", and I were on a 4-Man Team together!! He was 1/2 owner of Houston Parachute Service back in the '70s & '80s and the Team was made up of the 2 owners and two of us that worked there (GOOD evening job!!).

Later
Martin

PSM
05-07-2010, 19:15
Well, since I didn't land on the DZ and I was "in the sun" during descent, we didn't get any "Canopy" pics. That Jump suit was from the early '70s when Doc, the "Pilot", and I were on a 4-Man Team together!! He was 1/2 owner of Houston Parachute Service back in the '70s & '80s and the Team was made up of the 2 owners and two of us that worked there (GOOD evening job!!).

Later
Martin

Obviously you have to do it again for the DZ photos! Sorry. ;)

Pat

Ambush Master
05-07-2010, 19:24
Obviously you have to do it again for the DZ photos! Sorry. ;)

Pat

Of course!!! Either next weekend or Memorial Day weekend or maybe both..... several times!!!

Guy
05-07-2010, 21:37
Is this what you call a "mid-life crisis"?:D

Or

Do you miss the adrenaline rush?

Either way, does your spouse know about this extra curricular activity?

Stay safe.

Ambush Master
05-07-2010, 22:40
Is this what you call a "mid-life crisis"?:D

Or

Do you miss the adrenaline rush?

Either way, does your spouse know about this extra curricular activity?

Stay safe.

Last Sunday was HER BIRTHDAY and I gave her, "me jumping out of an airplane" as a present!!!:D:munchin

Not a Crisis yet, but when WM and his crew come to town in October..............there may be issues!!!!:D

Hopefully I can get proficient before October and be able to make a few leaps with them at AFW!!!

Take care Brother!!
Martin

orion5
05-07-2010, 23:52
Last Sunday was HER BIRTHDAY and I gave her, "me jumping out of an airplane" as a present!!!:D:munchin

HILARIOUS! Maybe for your July 4th birthday she can do a tandem jump with you? :munchin By then you should be able to do a front loop AND hit a DZ! (ok, running and ducking for cover)

Warrior-Mentor
05-08-2010, 22:28
Way to go Ambush Master!!!

kgoerz
05-09-2010, 07:31
The Marine Instructors here had to make a Jump the other day. They had to show up at 0400 for a noon time jump. Nope, don't miss it one bit.

swpa19
05-10-2010, 11:37
Wife started skydiving at age 48. Her chute of choice, becuase of her small stature (5 feet even) was the 7 Cell Raven IV. Because of a disagreement with a M-151 before its rear suspension modification, I was relegated to DZSO/casual observer.

Ambush Master
05-16-2010, 20:42
Went down there today and made 2!! On the second, I landed in the "Ps" about 2m from center!! Here's a pic of the canopy..........IT"S FREAK'IN HUGE!!!

The guy that I jumped with has an altimeter that is a computer. He couldn't believe that on a 45 sec delay I was only falling at 107mph!!! He jumped with me 2 weeks ago and went by me like a rock, so today he put on his "Wing Suit" and was still amazed!! They now understand what I meant when I told them that I got my SCS going out of a Twin Otter as First Floater and closing #18-20!!

GOOD DAY!!!!:D

Ambush Master
05-30-2010, 20:28
Made #s 4 and 5 today ( after a close to 30 year Hiatus) which brings my total up to 991!!

Each Jump is feeling more comfortable!!

Weekend after next it's 4-ways!!! Then VRW!!!:D:munchin

Later
Martin

Ambush Master
06-20-2010, 16:08
Made a "Premier" Jump yesterday (#6 since May 2) with a "Helmet-Cam"!! Go to My Videos on Facebook, Link to follow:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=122993371075843&comments=

This was # 992!!

Later.
Martin

18C4V
06-20-2010, 16:21
whew, my team ran the airborne operation for our JCET, 3 lifts, 13 passes, 130 jumpers to include 33 MFF. My boys jumped MFF and I got to pin two E-5's to E-6's (Jr. B and D) and have my jr D bust his cherry MFF jump.

I love it :D

PSM
06-20-2010, 16:58
Made a "Premier" Jump yesterday (#6 since May 2) with a "Helmet-Cam"!! Go to My Videos on Facebook, Link to follow:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=122993371075843&comments=

This was # 992!!

Later.
Martin

Good work, Martin! The camera looks great.

Pat

JJ_BPK
06-20-2010, 22:20

This was # 992!!

Later.
Martin

Congrat's Martin...

Stylo
07-21-2010, 14:43
This thread is making me happy.

Now I am planning on a roll of duct tape to wrap my knee

Drop 40 pounds so I don't have to hit like a 400 lb sack of potatoes. (sacks of potatoes have limited flair)

A motorcycle (sold the last one to pay child support)

A convertable

And a girl who is way too young for me (but comfortably legal)

I need to make a list......

Ambush Master
07-24-2010, 21:08
Made #993 today and Air.177's little brother made a Tandem Jump!! Blake is NOT going to take it very well......that his little brother Jumped before he did!!!:D:munchin

Back down to Stephenville tomorrow morning, if the Weather Gods allow!!

Later
Martin

PSM
07-24-2010, 21:14
Made #993 today and Air.177's little brother made a Tandem Jump!! Blake is NOT going to take it very well......that his little brother Jumped before he did!!!:D:munchin

Back down to Stephenville tomorrow morning, if the Weather Gods allow!!

Later
Martin

Blake's first won't be tandem! He's got that going for him. ;)

Pat

Ambush Master
07-25-2010, 17:05
Well, the Weather Gods smiled upon us this morning!!

I made 2 RW Jumps. Both were just two mans, but I was supposed to fly Base, but ended up above my contact, so I closed on him both times. On the first jump, it was supposed to be a 4 way, but they learned how much I float......the other 2 went below us even though we were the first out. We linked up, let go and made a 360 then re-docked. The second was an intentional 2 way and we linked and broke off, made a LH 360, re-linked then broke off, made a RH 360, re-linked..broke off, then did a Backloop. We were close to opening alt. so I made a 180 then dumped!!

It's amazing how fast it is comming back!!!!:D

Next stop, BIGGER AIRPLANES!!!!:munchin

9 jumps since May, I'm up to 995!!!

Later
Martin

Gypsy
07-25-2010, 17:26
Congrats, AM!!! :lifter

Oldrotorhead
09-20-2010, 10:22
This thread is making me happy.

Now I am planning on a roll of duct tape to wrap my knee

Drop 40 pounds so I don't have to hit like a 400 lb sack of potatoes. (sacks of potatoes have limited flair)

A motorcycle (sold the last one to pay child support)

A convertable

And a girl who is way too young for me (but comfortably legal)

I need to make a list......

So you are saying any "girl "under 50 or so. But who am I to talk my forst jump was in 1964. 28 foot double L for those old enough to remember round sport parachutes. :D

Ambush Master
10-17-2010, 20:14
Made # 12 since May,that puts me at 998!! Next weekend I'm going to sleep in the Hangar, haven't done that in a while, since the weather has cooled off and be ready for a FULL day on Sunday, if not Saturday!! I may ride down Friday evening!!

Later
Martin!!

CSB
10-17-2010, 20:20
Go for the GOLD!

(USPA Gold Wings)

1,000 freefalls gets you the free Gold Wings and a Certificate suitable for framing.

Looks really good hanging on the wall.

(P.S., I'm GW-4445).

Ambush Master
11-06-2011, 20:16
Well, after the 999 jump last March leaving me with 11 broken ribs and a severly torn hamstring muscle, I've made 10 more with a new canopy THAT OPENS SOFTER!!!

I made a jump with 6 other FOGS down @ San Marcos, Texas. Here's a link to my FB page:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/photo.php?fbid=10150382813504672&set=t.100000955410260&type=1&theater

Take care & Later!!
Martin

Little Fish
06-27-2019, 23:34
Sold all my skydiving stuff in 94 and made my last jump in 95. Had my first spinal fusions in 07. :D

How did the fusion go?

CSB
06-28-2019, 16:09
This thread was reactivated after an 8 year delay.

Question One: How did the fusion go?

Question Two: AmbushMaster, what is your Gold Wings Number?

More importantly:

Parachuting isn't over until YOU say it is over.

RE: Michael Kremar, USPA License D-18 (yes, D-18!):

He sustained broken vertebrae after a premature deployment in a Cessna aircraft. (Had to do with three pin main ripcord and jumpmaster position, I’ll tell you about it later). He had Gold Wings (1,000 free fall jumps) and was at 1,994 needing only six more for Diamond Wings (2,000), then an almost mythic achievement. After the surgery to repair his back that required fusing the lower vertebrae into a solid tube, he had the chance to resume skydiving, with this warning: “if you bend it too much, it will break. It may not kill you, but you will lose all body functions below the waist, including some functions you would like to keep.” Mike toyed with the idea of six more water jumps, then said no. He took up the “safe” but then experimental sport of “motorized hang glider” (what we today call ‘ultralight’ and was motoring over the Cumberland River not far from his home when the engine failed. He landed in the river and drowned before he was able to detach himself from his harness.

He was buried without his Diamond Wings.

I'm not smart enough to formulate this, I received it from another source,
but I believe it is true:

"There are only two fears that all human beings are born with, inherent in their DNA:

1-Fear of Falling 2-Fear of Loud Noises.

All other fears are LEARNED (fear of snakes, fear of fire will not develop until
a child is burned by flame, etc.).
But even a newborn human three days old will exhibit FEAR at the prospect of falling or loud noises. No experience needed. It probably dates back to survival of the fittest when our ape-man ancestors feared falling from the safety of a tree to the ground below, and loudness (predators, rockfall, volcanos) = danger of death.

And so it is that if a human being can squarely face up and vanquish those two primal fears, that human being cannot be truly be fearful of anything else that is not a rational or irrational LEARNED fear.

Every parachute jump contains the fear of falling and the fear of loud noises* and that is why Airborne qualification is a good approximation of the resistance to fear sought by military forces."

*Question as I write this. What about British qualification, with balloon drops?
Don't know, never made one. Noise factor?

mcarey
06-29-2019, 09:49
*Question as I write this. What about British qualification, with balloon drops?
Don't know, never made one. Noise factor?

I don't know about British Balloon jump, but static line from Thai balloon in Lop Buri was a bit scary. You can hear the retainer bands being popped as your static line is pulled faster and faster to a 6 second opening. Totally quiet except for wind and retainer band pops along with ground conversation / noises.

Ret10Echo
07-18-2020, 07:14
Thought I would add this in here....

MILITARY PARACHUTES:
Observations on Army and Marine Corps Acquisition Programs
GAO-20-524: Published: Jul 16, 2020. Publicly Released: Jul 16, 2020.

Overall the GAO seems to be positive on the system procurements and programs noting the ability to leverage COTS with minor modification.

It's interesting that they toss in a $150M price tag for replacing "aging" systems. In the grand scheme of military hardware acquisition does that number even make the pie chart?

Link to the full GAO report is HERE (https://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-20-524)