PDA

View Full Version : Kramer Holster Retention and RBCD Ammo

trunkmonkey
04-22-2010, 12:18
There have been many questions about the retention capabilities of non thumb break holsters. I have not been entirely sure myslef until a recent accident this last weekend. A few of the instructors that I work with and I were riding dirtbikes along a trail through the Coronado National Forest. Since the area is heavily trafficked by illegal immigrants and drug smugglers along with the regular hikers and outdoor enthusiasts, all of us carry. I was carrying a HK45 in a Kramer belt scabbard on a Kramer double thick horsehide belt and two spare magazines also in a Kramer magazine pouch. As the four of us came down over a hill a small pack of javelinas started to cross the road. Needless to say all four bikes went down, some from skidding to stop and some from hitting javelinas. From the bottom of the hill in the midst of bikes and people we had the unfortunate pleasure of encountering a very irritated javelina sow, as we had hit several younger javelinas. I was able to draw my pistol and shoot the sow. Firing uphill with no backstop behind the target, even with RBCD ammo, was a leap of faith. The javelina dropped and gave us no more trouble. I must say the RBCD ammo was thoroughly impressive with no exit wound. Since I had been given such a hard time from the other instructors about spending the money on a Kramer setup, it has all stopped since I was the only one whose handgun had stayed in the holster. It seems that Kramer has a few more orders coming their way in the near future.

I hope that this can help anyone doubtful about the retention of a Kramer holster. I am not saying the holster is not scuffed up but it still works great.

The Reaper
04-22-2010, 12:29
Good report.

Anyone examine the hog?

TR

trunkmonkey
04-22-2010, 12:36
The game ranger was thoroughly impressed, but no pictures and no examination. It was decided that there was no way we could use the meat and thus no need for the ranger to cart off the carcass. It was just moved off the road for the coyotes.

fatleg
04-23-2010, 20:05
I have Kramer belt scabbards and IWBs for a number of handguns. They all are horsehide except for one. After using them for over 15 years, I would never worry about a handgun coming out of the Kramer holster by accident.

There are other holsters that are prettier and more expensive, but a Kramer will give you a lifetime of good service.