PDA

View Full Version : Earth Day

Buffalobob
04-19-2010, 17:04
Well you know how us tree hugging liberals are. Just always whining and complaining.

Every time it rains you get plastic bags, bottles, cans, pieces of automobile, bumpers," complained D.C. resident Jim Collier.

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0410/727376.html

I am such a world class whiner they even put me on TV. Click on the video to see me do a really god job complaining.

If your back isn't goofed up too back from years of heavy rucks and bad landings you can come out Saturday and help pick up trash on the Anacostia.

Gypsy
04-19-2010, 17:24
Video won't play. Hopefully lots of folks will show up!

Kyobanim
04-19-2010, 18:13
If I was up there I'd help ya Bob. I'll pick some up around here for you.

Buffalobob
04-20-2010, 16:59
When I am reincarnated please do not let me come back as a gray whale!!

msnbc.com staff and news service reports
updated 10:41 a.m. ET, Tues., April 20, 2010

OLYMPIA, Wash. - A gray whale that died after getting stranded on a West Seattle beach had a large amount of garbage in its stomach — ranging from plastic bags to a pair of sweat pants and even a golf ball.

Most of the whale's stomach contents was algae — typical of the bottom-feeding mammals. But Cascadia Research Collective, whose experts were among those who performed the necropsy, said "a surprising amount of human debris" was found, including "more than 20 plastic bags, small towels, surgical gloves, sweat pants, plastic pieces, duct tape, and a golf ball."

On top of all that, the whale "also had cuts on the head possibly from a boat propeller," the group said in a statement. It added, though, that "these did not appear fresh or deep enough to have been involved in the death of the animal."

Utah Bob
04-20-2010, 17:19
Hope you get a good turn out.

Buffalobob
04-24-2010, 13:03
Well, the weather held off and didn't rain until right at the end.

The Better Half and the Deerslayer went early and got one of the canoes and paddled across the Anacostia River to their favorite trash spot - the shoreline of the National Arboretum.

Buffalobob
04-24-2010, 13:11
I went up Watts Branch a little ways to a trash dam caused by a fallen tree. I got five bags of recyclable bottles and cans and 5 bags of Styrofoam clam-shells and cups.

As you can see from the before and after pictures, I just barely made a dint in this one spot. There was at least another truck load of trash still there.

EX-Gold Falcon
04-24-2010, 13:30
I went up Watts Branch a little ways to a trash dam caused by a fallen tree. I got five bags of recyclable bottles and cans and 5 bags of Styrofoam clam-shells and cups.

As you can see from the before and after pictures, I just barely made a dint in this one spot. There was at least another truck load of trash still there.

This is a most excellent example of: "think globally, act locally."

Kudos and Cheers for your efforts!

Travis

Pete
04-24-2010, 14:20
.....As you can see from the before and after pictures, I just barely made a dint in this one spot. There was at least another truck load of trash still there.

Way to go buffalobob.

The sad thing is each and every thing you picked up was dropped by some pig.

Pigs finish eating a fast food snack and just chunk the bag and cups out the window. Goes into the storm sewer comes out in the stream and flows to the river.

Boaters? Just chunk it over the side, its a big river.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Pigs I hate 'um.

Green Light
04-24-2010, 15:03

That's real public service. My old church sponsored a highway going out of Fayetteville, about a mile of it. We'd go there every couple of months and it was amazing what people threw out there.

It's hard to imagine folks out in the forests would befoul waterways like that. "Carry it in, carry it out."

BTW, are you the only guy in DC with a CIB on his truck? :D

badshot
04-24-2010, 16:54
No liberal here...GJ Bob

We even have slobs in MT that have to be picked up after, normally the weekend warrior types that live in cities. Gratefully, not to degree of the Anacostia...

Buffalobob
04-25-2010, 11:05
BTW, are you the only guy in DC with a CIB on his truck

I am not the only professional treehugger/QP in DC. Go to the link and go down to the guy named John Cruden. He probably does not drive a truck but I am pretty sure he has a CIB. I worked with him on the the case in the second link. He is really good and a very mild mannered person . You would not ever guess his background

http://www.mainjustice.com/2010/03/05/enrd-leadership-positions-announced/

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2004/December/04_enrd_793.htm

2018commo
04-25-2010, 12:21
Bob,
I'm an 0028 working at APG, it's a little easier being a conservative working on the compliance side of the ENV shop. Yes we have our hands full...

ZonieDiver
04-26-2010, 10:41
Congrats, BuffaloBob! The dive shops here usually have an "Earth Day" beach clean-up at Lake Pleasant or other sites, but I couldn't find one this year.

There is a "Dive Carnival" this Saturday and I am hoping their will be a clean-up involved. If not, I'll just take my mesh bag and do my thang. Last year, I retrieved the heaviest object, but not the coolest (a champagne bucket).

Buffalobob
04-26-2010, 12:31
Last year, I retrieved the heaviest object, but not the coolest (a champagne bucket).

Its actually a lot of fun and very interesting if you get to thinking about how a particular object wound up in a river or lake or roadside.