PDA

View Full Version : My First WV Kill

Green Light
04-15-2010, 09:10
At about 0340 this morning, on the way to work, I got myself a deer. Unfortunately, the right front of my Expedition didn't fare so well. I'm pissed, but I've got good insurance. The deer wasn't available for comment. :D

Ret10Echo
04-15-2010, 09:24
At about 0340 this morning, on the way to work, I got myself a deer. Unfortunately, the right front of my Expedition didn't fare so well. I'm pissed, but I've got good insurance. The deer wasn't available for comment. :D

So let's start a debate on the functionality of the "deer whistles".

I did not have them on the car and had to make a dynamic move to avoid some serious issues (I spotted the deer outside the driver's window at a range of about 3 feet, she was at a run and I was doing about 60(ish).... Got away with a small scuff on the left rear quarterpanel that I buffed out and a ding about the size of a golfball. :D

I have since mounted whistles on all vehicles. Which may be more of a placebo than anything really functional.

Sorry to hear about your uplanned meeting there GL

Peregrino
04-15-2010, 09:43
The deer wasn't available for comment. :D

That's what happens when you hit it on the way to work. If you'd waited and gotten it on the way home (like I did :p) you could solicit its opinion every time you pulled a chunk'o'its'ass out of the freezer for dinner. A word of caution - You do need to be extra careful immediately after getting your Expedition out of the bodyshop. I had less than 200 miles on the odometer and a turkey took out the brand new grill. I left that one on the side of the road; don't like ground turkey, really not interested in pulverized turkey. Now I'm back to waiting so I can align the schedules and use the wife's car while the truck goes back into the shop. If this keeps up, I'll have to get a hunting license for the truck (it's got more kills than most of the avid hunters in my office). There is a side benefit though: the wife has promised me a HD brushguard for an anniversary present. :D

lksteve
04-15-2010, 09:48
So let's start a debate on the functionality of the "deer whistles". Having hauled cattle and horses and such once upon a time, I'd ask this of you...don't stay behind a vehicle hauling livestock...it makes them more than a bit edgy...

Green Light
04-15-2010, 10:07
That's what happens when you hit it on the way to work. If you'd waited and gotten it on the way home (like I did :p) you could solicit its opinion every time you pulled a chunk'o'its'ass out of the freezer for dinner. A word of caution - You do need to be extra careful immediately after getting your Expedition out of the bodyshop. I had less than 200 miles on the odometer and a turkey took out the brand new grill. I left that one on the side of the road; don't like ground turkey, really not interested in pulverized turkey. Now I'm back to waiting so I can align the schedules and use the wife's car while the truck goes back into the shop. If this keeps up, I'll have to get a hunting license for the truck (it's got more kills than most of the avid hunters in my office). There is a side benefit though: the wife has promised me a HD brushguard for an anniversary present. :D

I thought about that. WV is a "Kill It and Grill It" state. I could have taken the annual leave and butchered it, but didn't have my Al Mar knife in the SUV. BTW, I asked my wife for a brushguard this morning. :cool:

armymom1228
04-15-2010, 17:59

I did that once.. grabbed that puppy and bled him/it over the back tailgate.. I figured that since the deer didn't have insurance........ Got some nice stew and steaks out of it.. :D

MeC86
04-15-2010, 19:07
I have responded to dozens of Car vs. Deer crashes in my career. Its sometimes comical to see the individuals who ask if I'm going to call a veterinarian for the injured deer. I've even had one person offer to help me load the bloody, kicking like crazy deer into the back of my car so I could take it to the Vet. They are none too pleased when I ask them to return to their vehicle and put the deer down.

On the other hand you get the hunters who are elated to get a free deer. They even pass you their number to let them know when other deer get hit.

Penn
04-15-2010, 21:35
LOL you could solicit its opinion every time you pulled a chunk'o'its'ass out of the freezer for dinner

Customers never ask................

PR31C
04-16-2010, 06:34
Don't know about the whistle but this deer actually ran toward the flashing lights
Hit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xcMe2kI73Q)

Close call at end of video, not that exciting
Miss (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAyN5qUVCB0)

You can just feel his heartbreak, the driver not the deer
New car (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozMGohYml1k&NR=1)

Most amazing deer hit I ever witnessed, guy on a crotch rocket pulled out from a stop sign and hit a deer. Some how he managed not to dump the bike, deer never went fully down, just kept on running. I have put down two deer that were lame due to car strikes, but made it off road and into woods. One of them was quite tastey :eek:

mark46th
04-16-2010, 22:06
You need to get one of those Goat Bars for the front of your Expedition!!! Make sure it is welded to the frame, not attached to the bumper. Get one with a hitch for the front- That way you get some penetration...

swpa19
04-17-2010, 16:35
GREENLIGHT: At about 0340 this morning, on the way to work, I got myself a deer If it was in Preston or Monongalia Counties, bet it wasnt there when you came home from work. RE: Deer whistles. Since they've come out I have probably repaired hundreds of vehicles that have encountered deer collisions WITH deer whistles. Granted a lot of them were improperly mounted. Its best not to mount them close to the grille or headlamps. To work properly (Im told) they should have about 4 inches of un-obstructed clearance from the back of the whistle.

Sunny34215
05-13-2010, 20:16
If it was in preston or mon my buddy might have grabbed it, He just gave me a couple of roadside steaks last week. lol