PDA

View Full Version : Cutlers Craft

Bill Harsey
04-12-2010, 22:37
This might surprise some of you but there are other knives besides sandblasted breaking bars.

I thought the time might be right to show some examples of the modern cutler's craft. The word 'cutler' is said to come from the Middle English word, 'cuteler' which came from the old French word 'coutelier" that came from 'knife'.
In modern knifemaking the term is used for an individual with all the skills of knifemaking.

Check out the images here of a master cutler: http://www.ne.jp/asahi/harumi/knives/contents.html

And take a very close look because these are all hand built, hand fitted and handcut inlays.
The folders work as they should.

Harumi Hirayama is the Japanese knifemaker who's work is shown on the link. She does extraordinary work. Even the blades are cut by hand and beveled by drawfiling.

It was an honor to have Harumi as a guest here in the shop and home a few years back.

JJ_BPK
04-13-2010, 04:38
This might surprise some of you but there are other knives besides sandblasted breaking bars.

And take a very close look because these are all hand built, hand fitted and handcut inlays.
The folders work as they should.

Harumi Hirayama is the Japanese knifemaker who's work is shown on the link. She does extraordinary work. Even the blades are cut by hand and beveled by drawfiling.

It was an honor to have Harumi as a guest here in the shop and home a few years back.

Absolutely beautiful work, Thank you William.

As one who's first choice is the 5lb maul, I enjoy and appreciate someone that can do it with fineness.

Thanks,, :lifter:D:lifter

x SF med
04-13-2010, 08:48
Absolutely beautiful work. The one of a kind work I see at Knife shows awes me. And if you really want to see some outstanding detail work, the miniature knives (fully functional and sharp) are a terstament to the art of the cutler. Look for Lee and Linda Ferguson if you want to see some nice work, Maserin does some beatiful stuff too.

You're right up there Bill, I've seen your non-tactical work.

Kit Carson
04-17-2010, 19:45
Bill, can I show a purty folder? :D

cornelyj
04-18-2010, 21:54
Bill, can I show a purty folder? :D

Definitely not going to bring that folder on the next deployment to open MREs are you?:D

HOLLiS
04-18-2010, 22:04
Amazing works of art. Thank you for the photos.

Bill Harsey
04-19-2010, 11:17
Kit,
amazing work, Thank you!

Kit Carson
04-19-2010, 20:01
I've made my share of gray prybars..this one was made from 6K Stellite for a special friend who served a career in the water.

x SF med
04-19-2010, 23:10
Kit-
That damascus folder is gorgeous. Makes me wish I had bought that sheet of 3/8" x18" x28" triple fold on the last day of the show, .... Or would that be overkill for the first knife I make? The guy was nearly giving it away...