PDA

View Full Version : A tip for and E5 preparing to come to the Q

coolguy8654
04-11-2010, 16:13
I'm going to relate my story for anyone who is intrested and hopefully someone will save themselves from the headaches that my peers and I have dealt with. I was promoted to SGT/E5 in the marine corps in april 06. I was able to come into the army and keep my rank while securing an 18x contract in april 2008. I was selected in October 2008 and after I PCSed from new mexico I went to CLT (common or combined leadership course) in January 2009. The way that it was explained to us at this point was that this course counted for half of warrior leadership course (WLC) and half of Basic Non-commishioned Officer Course (BNOC) The field half of WLC would be met by completing SUT allowing soldiers to get promoted to Staff Sergeant and that Sage would fulfill the field requirement for BNOC allowing for soldiers to get promoted to SFC down the road in group. After CLT, instead of going to SUT, I was the first class to go to Language first. Our tacs told us that we couldn't go to the board until we were done with SUT. We went to SUT and upon completion we were told that CLT/SUT for WLC doesn't count now until you're done with Sage. This adds another 4 months until you are able to go to the board. This isn't such a kick in the face unless you are an 18D like me and my friends. We found out that after being passed over for 6 months because of language we will be passed over for an additional 14 months because of the delta course, sage and time it takes to get to group and go to the board. Now 18Xs who have done nothing in the army will be the same rank as me and my friends who have multiple deployments becasue they have completed the first half of the 18D course and get an automatic promotion to SGT becasue they need to be on track with their short MOS counterparts. The lesson here, for all SGTs planning on coming here and looking at a long language and/or 18D, go to regular army WLC before coming here, otherwise you could spend multiple years in SWC and come out the other end the same rank you started.

x SF med
04-11-2010, 16:24
Not very becoming of you to whine like that... As the "S" qalifier was being ended and the 18 Series was coming in, "SF Babies"/SF Contract guys like me could get caught as an E-4 for a couple of years - especially if you were originally an 11B E-4 who became an 18B E-4 no TO&E for E-4 or E-5, and the point structure was so high under the 11 series that you needed everything... so, switch MOSs to 18D, and with waivers, you could get to the Board... with over 2 years TIG as an E-4... It's not about the rank, it's about the job.

18C4V
04-11-2010, 16:27
Don't worry, you'll make E-7 before them. I got a 8654 who came to my team as a E-5 18C in Oct 06. He made E-7 last year while my 18X's who are E-6's can't be E-7's until TIS is met.

Oh, and I got a E-4 18C coming to my team this month. I'm sure he got screwed over his E-5 board while in the Q, and I'll get more info when he reports in.

Pete
04-11-2010, 16:33
Don't worry, you'll make E-7 before them. I got a 8654 who came to my team as a E-5 18C in Oct 06. He made E-7 last year while my 18X's who are E-6's can't be E-7's until TIS is met.

SSG to SFC - thats the big one. Records head to head with the other 18 series guys.

Dozer523
04-11-2010, 20:45
Wow, you got quite a deal IMO.
Join the Army as a Sergeant, get SF training

JC Medic
04-12-2010, 10:11
The way that it was explained to us at this point was that this course counted for half of warrior leadership course (WLC) and half of Basic Non-commishioned Officer Course (BNOC) The field half of WLC would be met by completing SUT allowing soldiers to get promoted to Staff Sergeant and that Sage would fulfill the field requirement for BNOC allowing for soldiers to get promoted to SFC down the road in group. After CLT, instead of going to SUT, I was the first class to go to Language first. Our tacs told us that we couldn't go to the board until we were done with SUT. We went to SUT and upon completion we were told that CLT/SUT for WLC doesn't count now until you're done with Sage.
I went to CLT last year and just finished SUT, and my ERB says I'm BNCOC enrolled, and a WLC graduate. That's not the reason you aren't getting promoted. Do you have 6 years in service? SWCC doesn't give waivers to students for E6.

greenberetTFS
04-12-2010, 10:23
I maybe mistaken,but I thought SF questions were answered by QP's only!!!! :confused:

Big Teddy :munchin

The Reaper
04-12-2010, 12:06
I maybe mistaken,but I thought SF questions were answered by QP's only!!!! :confused:

Big Teddy :munchin

Only in the SF Questions Forum, as per the rules. SFQC forum is fair game.

TR