PDA

View Full Version : Fuel prices in England

Pete
04-09-2010, 05:36
I noticed this article

MISERY FOR MOTORISTS AS PETROL HITS £6 A GALLON

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/168128

Hard to get a handle on the story as they mix liter with gallon but it appears "...But some forecourts are already charging 131.9p a litre – just a penny short of the £6 gallon...."

The article also mixes taxes and fuel duty but near as I can figure out after the fuel duty goes up from 57.19p to 57.95p the fuel duty alone will be 44% of the pump price.

Around here State/Federal Tax is about 15% of pump price.

Another reason to not support the VAT tax. Once enacted at a low rate it can be changed at the needs of politicians.

JJ_BPK
04-09-2010, 06:37
Hard to get a handle on the story as they mix liter with gallon but it appears "...But some forecourts are already charging 131.9p a litre – just a penny short of the £6 gallon...."

They also use Imperial Gallons,, you're correct it does get confusing. My #2 lives in London. They have a Vespa that does 50 mpg, about a gallon a wk..

On the other hand, I like VAT tax,, it is flat (I think it is currently 17%), it is applied to ALL purchases, it is a use tax (if you don't buy - you don't pay), there are no exceptions or deductions, everyone pays.

And yes, the elected can bump it up or down behind your back, but that's why we have elections. AND with a VAT, everyone is effected equally.

Unlike BHO's health plan were some (the people that vote for him) get it free and others (people that don't vote for) pay thru the a$$..

SF18C
04-09-2010, 07:32
I am not 100% up on the tax schema here in Italy (I think I heard the VAT is 20%) but a gallon of gas here will cost a bit over $7 today. Glad I get gas rations on post, only $3.40 a gallon.

Maybe that 6.1L V-8 Hemi wasn't the smartest idea I have ever had, but running laps at the Nürburgring and Monza are total fun!

JJ_BPK
04-09-2010, 07:52
Maybe that 6.1L V-8 Hemi wasn't the smartest idea

I B Jealous,, Is that a home brew?? Will you be able to bring it home??

Utah Bob
04-09-2010, 09:57
I'd be hesitant to bitch about high fuel prices if I lived in Europe with their teeny countries, teeny cars, and public transport system.
Out here where I live it's 35 miles to the grocery store however....

armymom1228
04-09-2010, 10:33
I'd be hesitant to bitch about high fuel prices if I lived in Europe with their teeny countries, teeny cars, and public transport system.

That all? I used to drive one way to the grocery store 125 miles and a 10k pass to Leadville. Wimp....:D

About the VAT tax that is currently under scrutiny by the budget office... one only has to cruise the sailing chatboards with regards to the VAT about 'importing' foriegn boats into the EU.. its a flaming nightmare. The various countries change the tax at whim. It would be the same here.

mojaveman
04-09-2010, 11:29

So true, the public transportation in Europe is way ahead of ours. There are many people there who don't even own vehicles. One of my favorite things to do while I'm in the continent is to sit in a comfortable train seat next to a large window, take my shoes off, and then open a bottle of German beer and watch the world go by.

Red Flag 1
04-09-2010, 13:06
Winging East for the UK/Kent/Ashford next Tuesday.... 6#/gal......oh crap!!....need a full sized rental....oh more crap!!!.... looking at about three fill ups ....just more crap!! Looking to insure that "my" full sized is a diesel:lifter:lifter.

If I were headed for Germany, I'd spring for a fast mover and gladly pay the vehicle/gas premium. The "M" motorways in the UK are just too restrictive for much fun, BTDT. There are waaaaay too many cameras looking to enforce speed limits in the UK. Off the "M" and "A" routes, high speeds on narrow and the wrong side of the road can be idiotic.

Oh well!!

RF 1

GratefulCitizen
04-09-2010, 20:01
Maybe that 6.1L V-8 Hemi wasn't the smartest idea I have ever had, but running laps at the Nürburgring and Monza are total fun!

A fine choice.
(Though I prefer V8's displacing at least 7.4L :D ).

Gas prices are an overrated problem.
Just buy old, cheap vehicles if you're worried about gas prices.

All of the money not paid in initial price, financing costs, insurance, and licensing will buy a great deal of gas.
My van, pickup, and motorhome get awful mileage (the motorhome gets 5-6 mpg!)

Good to know that some people still buy rear-wheel drives with large displacement V8's in the front,
just like God and nature intended.

GratefulCitizen
04-09-2010, 20:03
That all? I used to drive one way to the grocery store 125 miles and a 10k pass to Leadville. Wimp....:D

That all? :D

Commuted 266 miles/day 5 days/week during the summer of 2008 ($4/gal gas).
Admittedly, I did choose to use a gas-sipper for that one...

SF18C
04-11-2010, 10:07
I B Jealous,, Is that a home brew?? Will you be able to bring it home??

Engine and tranny built in Mexico, all assembled in Canada and shipped to Italy from Detroit. Yes, one day I will bring her back to the USA!! (where gas maybe cheaper :o but highway speeds are lower! :mad:) I actually got in a bit of fun yesterday with a Bentley Continental GT and Mercedes estate wagon. All rolling down the highway about 140 to 150 MPH.

As for public transportation in the states I just can’t see it ever replacing the car in anything but the biggest of cites. We are too rural, too spread out and have built our lives around the freedom to come and go on our own time line.

armymom1228
04-11-2010, 17:46
Engine and tranny built in Mexico, all assembled in Canada and shipped to Italy from Detroit. Yes, one day I will bring her back to the USA!! (where gas maybe cheaper :o but highway speeds are lower! :mad:) I actually got in a bit of fun yesterday with a Bentley Continental GT and Mercedes estate wagon. All rolling down the highway about 140 to 150 MPH.

oh that is just soooo not fair. Yes, please, can I go for a ride... that is one sweet ride.. sigh..
AM

lksteve
04-11-2010, 17:54
Out here where I live it's 35 miles to the grocery store however....Did the Superette close down? :D

Utah Bob
04-12-2010, 07:44
Did the Superette close down? :D

Any resemblance between the Superette and a real grocery store is coincidental. :D

Utah Bob
04-12-2010, 07:46
So true, the public transportation in Europe is way ahead of ours. There are many people there who don't even own vehicles. One of my favorite things to do while I'm in the continent is to sit in a comfortable train seat next to a large window, take my shoes off, and then open a bottle of German beer and watch the world go by.

What's that trickling down my cheek?
A nostalgic tear. Sigh.:(

lksteve
04-12-2010, 07:51
Any resemblance between the Superette and a real grocery store is coincidental. :DYou may have a point there...

SF18C
04-12-2010, 13:06
Any resemblance between the Superette and a real grocery store is coincidental. :D

Is the relationship between a Superette and grocery store similar to a Texas washateria and a Laundromat?

lksteve
04-12-2010, 13:19
Is the relationship between a Superette and grocery store similar to a Texas washateria and a Laundromat?The Dove Creek Superette is a little bit of everything...gas station, snack bar-deli, grocery store...it's affiliated with the Western Family grocery chain...it is overpriced and often has dated produce and meats...it is the only thing resembling a grocery store between the City Market in Cortez, Colorado and Blue Mountain Foods in Monticello, Utah on the US Highway formerly named 666....it is where hunters, farmers, and ranchers meet for coffee before striking out for the day...it's open 24/7/365...if you need a pint of milk on Christmas Day, the Superette will have it...and yes, the local laundromat is immediately adjacent to it...

http://www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv13147.php

Utah Bob
04-12-2010, 13:35
Is the relationship between a Superette and grocery store similar to a Texas washateria and a Laundromat?

They do have a laundromat. Also a Deli and Flower/ammo shop. If they sold liquor it would definitely be a one-stopper. :D

ZonieDiver
04-12-2010, 23:15
They do have a laundromat. Also a Deli and Flower/ammo shop. If they sold liquor it would definitely be a one-stopper. :D

I knew I should have turned right at Cortez... How could I miss that!