PDA

View Full Version : Any Advice on working in Egypt

04-08-2010, 12:34
I apologize if this isn't the correct spot for this thread, but figured it fit.

I was hoping some people familiar with Egypt could maybe give me some advice, or things to know/ prepare for etc.. I will be Leading a trip there this summer, a little over a month time in country, so not too long. I will mostly be instructing and leading SCUBA type stuff, but we will be in the Desert for a week or so, in Cairo, all over the Sinai etc... I will be leading young adults, about 17/18 Years old, mostly from wealthy families, and although I preach Low Profile travel, it's next to impossible with a group like that:rolleyes: (about 13 of us total). Anything to watch out for, areas to avoid, local sayings that might get me out of trouble etc. would be greatly appreciated. Although I have alot of foreign travel under my belt, my experience with Muslim countries is non-existent and Im hoping to make the trip a good and safe one. Thanks for any help and insight you all might be willing to offer.

(I am of course going to be trained on all sorts of stuff by the hiring company, and will have a co-leader. but IMHO it never hurts to get extra opinions, and facts.)

Pete
04-08-2010, 13:07
No Travel warnings

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_1764.html

Stick to the tourist routes and places. Every now and again an SJS person does target the odd tour bus but the locals need the tourist money so they keep an eye out for it.

blue902
04-08-2010, 13:27
Don't drink the water. (Betcha knew that one.) You'll run into people who will insist that the water is clean. I met the same people, in South America, Central America, and the M.E. They are idiots.

They like to resell 'bottled waters' by taking the bottles back and filling them up. You want 'azazat maya low samhat'= a bottled water please, and check the seal. Lots of em speak some English anyway, especially in money and selling type situations.

Cairo Airport is sometimes bad and sometimes not a big deal at all. Just get through it. Visas are something like $15 at the airport when you land. If you're staying in a big hotel, and you take a taxi, tell them to go near it, pick a landmark or something if you care about saving $60. Prices are magically doubled if you go to a big hotel.

Don't let the taxis/bus drivers take you on a side trip to their buddy's store. They get a cut if you buy something so they don't like to hear NO but they know what it means. People will flat out lie to you to get you to walk into their little place, "Oh I can go ask my father where the matam is, come with me" and then pretty much try to impugne you into buying their stuff before you can leave. Happens every day.

The embassy is in Garden City of Cairo, they call it garden-city too. You can register yourself when you show up and give them your itinerary in case SHTF in country. (ETA- like this Israeli raid sparking demonstrations).

I guess you've got most of this taken care of, but don't let your little darlings do the tourist mistake: >>>>Stay out in the heat/ sun. Come back into cold AC soaking wet and tired. Eat too much strange food immediately. = Shock to the system too fast, Get sick. <<<

Don't eat anything off the street without washing it, and don't eat anything from a street vendor like koshari or shawarma at all. Stick to restaurants.

Last thing is, they love getting baksheesh =tips/bribes/fees. Same as anywhere I suppose. Don't trust anyone you haven't paid, especially kids.

HTH. I realize this was basic stuff.

04-08-2010, 13:42
great info. thanks. I had heard about Baksheesh, but will have to experience it to really get a handle on it. And the Drinking water stuff was awesome to know, I speak a little Arabic, so hopefully my pronunciation won't be too messed up. Good stuff.

Pete
04-08-2010, 14:03
great info. thanks. I had heard about Baksheesh, but will have to experience it to really get a handle on it. And the Drinking water stuff was awesome to know, I speak a little Arabic, so hopefully my pronunciation won't be too messed up. Good stuff.

Getting up on the camel may be free but the hand is out in order to get the camel to kneel for you to get off. It is considered bad form to just jump off.

dividebyzero
04-11-2010, 09:52
I'm currently in Alexandria, Egypt working as a teacher and studying Arabic. Shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to help you with any other questions you need.

fng13
04-11-2010, 12:09
Can you update this post with thoughts after your return? I am looking at going to AUC,Egypt for their Languange intensive study program in Arabic. I won't be going until August 2011 since I missed the cut off. I am curious though as what its like being an American living there.