PDA

View Full Version : Boot sizing and proper fit

ReconGaelach
04-05-2010, 11:02
From my time on active duty as a scout I always wore 11 1/2 W Altama Desert Jungles. After deciding to go to 20th SFG tryouts this year I bought another pair of the same boots to break in and prepare for long distance rucks. They felt like clown shoes and in general didnt fit at all. So I bought a size 11R, they still seemed too big. Finally I bought a pair of 10 1/2 R and started wearing those. As I started to break them in they got looser and looser till the eylets were touching on the top of my foot and on my leg. The eylets gave me significant pain as they dug into the top of my foot. I have been using superfeet inserts for my boots. I remembered that during active duty I used to put a doctor scholls gel insert into my boot and then the regular boot insert on top. The book "Get Selected" specifically addresses this as a No Go but I tried it anyway with the 10 1/2R and went for a short ruck. They seemed fine for the most part. They felt a little tight on the top and sides of my toes and a little hot. 2-3 miles later I went from mild hot spots to blisters very quickly. I took my boots off to have a look and found two blisters on either heel. My sock was almost completly wet with sweat.

I dont know if I should try a narrow boot to get the laces off the top of my foot or step down a size all together. The length of the 10 1/2 seems correct but the 11R seem a hair too long. I havent been able to ruck long enough to take into account the 1/2 size they will swell. I think I may step down to the 11R and see what happens on a ruck. Any advice for me? Are my feet in between sizes?