PDA

View Full Version : Question about dual-citizenship


FreedomFighter
03-31-2010, 12:42
Back when I was at MEPS and was finishing the final interview, I wrote on the paper that I have dual-citizenship. The man said that it was a problem and could mess with my security clearance. I instantly told him that I was willing to renounce my Syrian citizenship if it would allow me to have the 18x contract. He said O.K. and then had me sign a paper stating that I was willing to renounce my citizenship. After that he faxed it somewhere and I thought I had no problems.
Later on, someone called my recruiter and told him that it still was a problem. He contacted me and he said we have to try and get rid of the problem ourselves. We contacted the embassies and consulates of America and Syria and found out it was impossible to renounce my Syrian citizenship. We looked all around for answers and nobody knew what to do. Everyone said that it was a mistake that I was able to get an 18x contract because the dual-citizenship should have stopped me immediately.
I looked around some more on the internet for answers and found this site

http://www.state.gov/m/ds/clearances/60321.htm#c

This site had some guidelines as to how you can be eligible for a security clearance. I looked over them and found that I have no disqualifying conditions and meet almost all of the mitigating circumstances. Then I found a recent court case

http://www.dod.mil/dodgc/doha/industrial/09-01894.h1.pdf

where a girl with dual-citizenship was granted security clearance based on the mitigating circumstances.
I sent these to my recruiter and he said that this information could help me with my problem.
A few days later he called me again and said that this information wasn't enough. I don't even know what to do anymore.

I will appreciate any and all help. Thanks in advance.

zicam
03-31-2010, 13:20
If you don't mind I would like to add to your question...

Is the problem with your dual citizenship and enlistment to the 18x that you can't renounce it, or that it's from Syria, or is just being a dual citizen a security problem?

I am currently a citizen of Canada about to obtain my work permit with the ultimate goal of a green card then citizenship and I am just curious if I am going to see similar problems if I attempt a position requiring security clearance or if I can just renounce if I need to.




Sorry if I stepped on your toes.

The Reaper
03-31-2010, 13:46
You might do some searching and reading before starting further threads. This has been discussed here previously several times, with some pretty good answers.

If you don't mind I would like to add to your question...

Is the problem with your dual citizenship and enlistment to the 18x that you can't renounce it, or that it's from Syria, or is just being a dual citizen a security problem?

I am currently a citizen of Canada about to obtain my work permit with the ultimate goal of a green card then citizenship and I am just curious if I am going to see similar problems if I attempt a position requiring security clearance or if I can just renounce if I need to.

Sorry if I stepped on your toes.

Do you have a problem with reading and following the board rules?

TR

FreedomFighter
03-31-2010, 14:26
My recruiter told me that another alternative was to sign up as 11x and go a year as that. He then said I could try to apply to special forces that way and they might not care about my dual-citizenship. Will it really work that way?

Surgicalcric
03-31-2010, 14:48
...He then said I could try to apply to special forces that way and they might not care about my dual-citizenship. Will it really work that way?

Yes we care and no it doesnt work that way.

You will need to denounce your other citizenship to receive a clearance.

We have discussed this topic in the past. Use the search button if you want to know more.

Crip

Kalifornian
04-03-2010, 20:10
I failed to read the rules before posting.

This is a forum where civilians can "ask" the Special Forces soldiers past and present "Special Forces" related questions.

Those questions are then answered by Special Forces soldiers, period.

Questions asked by the general public should NOT be answered by the "general" public.

If you do not have the title of "Quiet Professional" you may ask a question, but leave the "answers" to the QP's.