PDA

View Full Version : Special Forces beret flashes

LitleBird
03-31-2010, 02:50
Hello.

I would like to ask a question regarding the colors and markings of the flashes that represent each of the active/NG Special Forces Groups.
More importantly, do they represent something ? What is the history behind each of the Groups distinctive unit insignia ?

Unfortunatly all my resarch came up empty. Perhaps there is a book that could shed more light on the subject?

Thank You.

Koa18B
03-31-2010, 12:32
Just go to the Army Institute of Heraldry. You can find all the info there.

Utah Bob
03-31-2010, 20:32
alas, the IOH lists no history on group flashes, just the SSI. The only history I know is the black border added to the 1st grp flash after JFK was killed.

Ambush Master
03-31-2010, 20:54
alas, the IOH lists no history on group flashes, just the SSI. The only history I know is the black border added to the 1st grp flash after JFK was killed.

And the 5th Group was a Black Background with the Colors of the RVN Flag. The Yellow and red were later dropped after the return of the Colors from RVN and the US withdrawal.

The 3rd Herd Colors were a composite of the Group Colors that it was formed from.

mojaveman
03-31-2010, 21:00
The Vietnamese colors were removed from the 5th SFG flash in January of '85. I can remember standing in formation one cold morning when LTC Jacobelly told everyone that they had to change their flashes back to the original all black pre Viet Nam style.

Richard
03-31-2010, 21:32
OK - here's a mini (less than all inclusive) primer.

Traditionally, the basic colors found in the flashes/SSI/DUI represent the following in our culture:

Blue - sky, freedom, intelligence
Green - life, balance, harmony, stability, nature, forest, plains and forests of Europe
Red - blood, warfare, sacrifice, power, valor
Yellow (Gold) - hope, positive, traditional, Asia
Black - night, mystery, covert
Grey - shadowy, in-between black and white, nebulous
White - purity, overt, openness

Additionally, in the military:

Teal Blue and Gold - colors of unassigned units (e.g., pre-Branch SF)
Purple - joint service command

Additinally, the black and gold Airborne tab was retained for its historical connection to the Airborne Command SSI originally worn by SF - there was a teal blue/gold Airborne tab for a short period but it was never fully embraced or authorized.

Now, for the following (just to mention a few flashes):

5th SFG RVN - originally all black, then the black w/white border 5th SFG + diagonal stripes denoting addition of personnel from 1st SFG (yellow) and 7th SFG (red) as well as an image of RVN national colors, then back to black w/white border.

SF Det Europe - traditional forest green (Europe) of 10th SFG + diagonal stripes of FRG national flag (black, red, gold).

46th SF Co/USASFT - black (covert nature of unit) w/gold border (1st SFG unit) + diagonal stripes of Thai national flag (red, white, blue, white, red).

1st SFG - yellow (Asia) + black border added to commemorate death of JFK.

SF not assigned to SF unit - jungle green (SF branch) with grey border and diagonal stripes indicating nature of assignment (white = overt, black = covert, purple = joint).

OK - now you can ponder the rest for yourself. ;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

LitleBird
04-01-2010, 02:16
Thank You for Your time gentle men :)

Green Light
04-01-2010, 08:37
7th SFG - Red, recalling the patch of the FSSF.

One thing that isn't clear, tho . . . there used to be two main wing backing designs for the SF groups. One was the 10th Gp green and red. The other used the 77th SFG colors of teal blue and gold. This was passed on to the other groups as 7th Gp was used as cadre for some of the new ones. Now the wing background (for the most part) matches the flash. Any idea when/why they changed?

Utah Bob
04-01-2010, 09:18
7th SFG - Red, recalling the patch of the FSSF.

One thing that isn't clear, tho . . . there used to be two main wing backing designs for the SF groups. One was the 10th Gp green and red. The other used the 77th SFG colors of teal blue and gold. This was passed on to the other groups as 7th Gp was used as cadre for some of the new ones. Now the wing background (for the most part) matches the flash. Any idea when/why they changed?

Flash and Wing Background info (http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Heraldry/ArmyBFBT/ArmyBFBTBranch.aspx?b=273)

Richard
04-01-2010, 09:28

The teal blue and gold was the background for all the Groups of the 1st SF Regiment (except the 10th and SF Det-Europe) prior to SF becoming a Branch and its expansion - as you went from Group to Group, the flash changed but the wings background for the Regiment remained the same (except for the 10th) - the new backgrounds to denote each specific Group were approved in the late-90s.

Richard

glebo
04-01-2010, 10:31
wow, these explanaitions certanly cleared up alot of trivia question stuff.

thanks

Aoresteen
04-01-2010, 10:51
1st Bn 10th SFG also wore the SF Det Flash in the 80's at Bad Tolz.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e5/aoresteen/10thcrest.jpg

Stras
04-01-2010, 10:58

thanks

Though I'm still curious as to the whole "when we became a branch" vs the Flash Changes in the mid-80's and whether or not they were related.

Richard or anyone else,
Did the 77th have a beret flash? If so, then my collection is incomplete.

Richard
04-01-2010, 11:54
Did the 77th have a beret flash?

The 77th never had a beret flash and the 7th had replaced the 77th by the time a beret and flash were authorized.

Richard

Bennett
04-01-2010, 12:30
Just go to the Army Institute of Heraldry. You can find all the info there.

The Army Institute of Heraldry isn't a good choice. The information there is flawed at best, just try looking up 10th SFG, according to them we didn't get our colors until the 80s? I have a document at home that I'll scan and send, it tells the history or folk lore of how each group got there flash color.

Bennett
04-01-2010, 12:37
Though I'm still curious as to the whole "when we became a branch" vs the Flash Changes in the mid-80's and whether or not they were related.

Richard or anyone else,
Did the 77th have a beret flash? If so, then my collection is incomplete.

Stras, as you well know, we became a branch for the enlisted in 1984 and officrs in 1986. Weall had flash color prior to that. After 1984 SF stndardized the colors so that 1/10 had to go to the 10th Grou color and 5th had to get the VN colors out. I arrived in Tolz just after the change, but like you still have my 1/10 colors. The wings background changed in the 90s as each group was allowed to mak it more group specific.

lksteve
04-01-2010, 13:30
After 1984 SF stndardized the colors so that 1/10 had to go to the 10th Grou color .Actually, I was in Toelz when 1/10 reverted to the 10th Group flash...it occurred 30 September 1983...I was commanding A-123 at the time and we returned from an exercise in Greece...we jumped into Karen and as we collected our air items and got on the bus the Battalion XO and CSM were busy telling us we were out of uniform because we were wearing a Det Europe flash and not a 10th Group flash...Det Europe was going to be redesignated ARSOF(E) or something like that...much ado about nothing, but it did give some of the grown-ups a reason to be petulant...

Team Sergeant
04-01-2010, 14:29
And the 5th Group was a Black Background with the Colors of the RVN Flag. The Yellow and red were later dropped after the return of the Colors from RVN and the US withdrawal.

The 3rd Herd Colors were a composite of the Group Colors that it was formed from.

We didn't change it until 84..... I'm pretty sure we were out of VN by then......:D I was one that "converted" from a VN flash to an all black one. TS

Utah Bob
04-01-2010, 14:51
The Army Institute of Heraldry isn't a good choice. The information there is flawed at best, just try looking up 10th SFG, according to them we didn't get our colors until the 80s? I have a document at home that I'll scan and send, it tells the history or folk lore of how each group got there flash color.

Yeah, I don't know what's with the dates they have. I know we switched to the green/red background in late 68 or 69. Maybe they weren't "officially" adopted till later?
I'd like to see that document you have.

Richard
04-01-2010, 15:51
After 1984 SF stndardized the colors so that 1/10 had to go to the 10th Grou color and 5th had to get the VN colors out.

Actually - COL Guest wanted the RVN era colors out of the 5th SFGA flash.

RE: 5th SFG flashes:

The original 5th SFG flash was all black in 1961.

The 2nd pattern black w/white border (added in 1962) flash was worn but not officially authorized until 1964.

First pattern USASFV (Prov) flash (never authorized) prior to 5th SFG deployment was all yellow with three diagonal red stripes.

The 3rd pattern 5th SFG flash was the black w/white border and diagonal yellow-red-yellow-red-yellow-red-yellow stripes denoting (a) colors of original USASFV flash, (b) colors of early TDY teams from 1st and 7th SFGs and (c) RVN flag.
On 7 Dec 84 COL James Guest, 5th SFG CDR, submitted a request to the Director, Institute of Heraldry, requesting that the official flash of the 5th SFG be changed back to the solid black with white border because:

The colors of a foreign flag should not be incorporated in a US Army beret flash
The RVN and the original purpose for having the RVN colors in the flash no longer existed
The 5th SFG was no longer oriented towards SEA
The mission and organization of the 5th SFGA had been significantly transformed to meet modern requirements and the change of beret flash would depict that metamorphosis

The request was approved by the Institute of Heraldry on 16 Jan 85 and the official change took place in a ceremony on 6 May 1985.

* Sutherland, Ian. Special Forces of the US Army; 1990.

Stras
04-01-2010, 16:05
Stras, as you well know, we became a branch for the enlisted in 1984 and officrs in 1986. Weall had flash color prior to that. After 1984 SF stndardized the colors so that 1/10 had to go to the 10th Grou color and 5th had to get the VN colors out.

I was referring to the similarity in the timeframe of the two actions (Branch and Flash Change) and whether or not becoming a branch caused the standardization of the flashes change. This was prior to my coming on the scene, and I've yet to find a good reference on the matter.

Did you guys get any more Reutberg out there yet? I'm cracking open the last of my Resupply Bundle stash.

ARSOFE wore the Green flash with the German Colors until they were Deactivated and reactivated as 7th Special Operations Support Command (SOSC) Theater Army (TA). 7th SOSC(TA) then switched to an almost teal blue flash with what I called "rainbow stripes". I believe this was right before the move from Bad Tölz to Stuttgart in late 1991/1992.

f50lrrp
04-01-2010, 16:13
The white border on the fifth group flash was added in 1964 to honor President Kennedy. White is the traditional Vietnamese color of mourning.

Richard
04-01-2010, 16:37
The white border on the fifth group flash was added in 1964 to honor President Kennedy. White is the traditional Vietnamese color of mourning.

So they honored JFK by mourning him a year before his assassination? :confused:

Richard

lksteve
04-01-2010, 16:42
So they honored JFK by mourning him a year before his assassination? :confused:1964 was a year after his assassination...;)

Richard
04-01-2010, 16:52
1964 was a year after his assassination...;)

You been drinking again? ;)

The 2nd pattern black w/white border (added in 1962) flash was worn but not officially authorized until 1964.

Richard

lksteve
04-01-2010, 16:57
You been drinking again? ;)Not right now...

Utah Bob
04-01-2010, 19:37
Not right now...

How about now? Cause I sure am.:D

lksteve
04-01-2010, 20:04
How about now? Cause I sure am.:DYup...

Pete
04-01-2010, 20:30
A little on the 5th Group Flash

http://www.groups.sfahq.com/5th/flash_and_insignia.htm

The last unit in 5th Gp to wear the old flash was ODA 575 which didn't change over to the new flash until the summer of 1985.

wet dog
04-01-2010, 22:54

thanks

In winning bar trivia bets, I've found it useful to quote those of authority like, The Reaper, Ambush Master and finally Richard.

- sorry fellas, I couldn't resist.

WD

Last hard class
04-02-2010, 02:36

On 7 Dec 84 COL James Guest, 5th SFG CDR, submitted a request to the Director, Institute of Heraldry, requesting that the official flash of the 5th SFG be changed back to the solid black with white border because:

The colors of a foreign flag should not be incorporated in a US Army beret flash
The RVN and the original purpose for having the RVN colors in the flash no longer existed
The mission and organization of the 5th SFGA had been significantly transformed to meet modern requirements and the change of beret flash would depict that metamorphosis

The request was approved by the Institute of Heraldry on 16 Jan 85.

It is interesting that you would have this information available. A barracks rat that was the COL'S driver/bitchboy had presciently blabbed such nefarious behavior would occur. Claimed to have been within earshot during certain conversations. Group HQ opsec for you.

Poster on the wall:

Top: Think OPSEC

Bottom: Who talked?

Hand written below: Who didn't?

Caused a lot of rumors with negative chatter about our fearless leader. As an enlisted man, I was just happy to know someone up top was keeping their eyes on the important things.:rolleyes:

Richard
04-02-2010, 06:02
Here's a good one for trivia's sake - the JCRC flash - never authorized - I've got a flash but never saw one of the wing background ovals.

The black is for the nature of the mission and the orange reflective of the VS-17 panel pieces worn on the uniforms (jungle fatigues - upper front pockets and across the back of the shoulders) by the field teams.

Those of us TDY to JCRC wore the USASFT (46th Co) flash.

Here's an interesting web-site to browse:

http://www.military-insignia.us/Pages/SpecOpsForcesInsignia.html#

Richard

Last hard class
04-02-2010, 06:19
Here's a good one for trivia's sake - the JCRC flash - never authorized - I've got a flash but never saw one of the wing background ovals.

How exactly does an unauthorized flash come to life?

glebo
04-02-2010, 06:28
In winning bar trivia bets, I've found it useful to quote those of authority like, The Reaper, Ambush Master and finally Richard.

WD

hey...as long as my answer sounds better than the other guys answer...with info from other folks..(correct or not) works for me:lifter

as long as I get a beer out of it...it's all good:p

Richard
04-02-2010, 06:29
How exactly does an unauthorized flash come to life?

The command comes up with a proposal to be submitted for approval - while awaiting 'official' approval, either unit $$ purchase and issue or individual purchase of the proposed flash is done and the unit begins wearing it until told to stop or authorized and it continues.

Richard

Dozer523
04-02-2010, 06:39
while awaiting 'official' approval, . . . is done and the unit begins . . . until told to stop or authorized and it continues. Richard Like so many things my kids do. :D Explains why the corgy looked like a poodle and was sorta green two weeks ago. Poor dog thinks her name is WTF!!?!

Green Light
04-02-2010, 08:58
Does anyone have the FANK Training Command flash? I had a copy (it was close but wrong). I'd like to see what a real one looked like.

Richard
04-02-2010, 09:13
Does anyone have the FANK Training Command flash?

Go to the link in post #32 - you'll find it. ;)

Richard

Bennett
04-02-2010, 09:14
I was referring to the similarity in the timeframe of the two actions (Branch and Flash Change) and whether or not becoming a branch caused the standardization of the flashes change. This was prior to my coming on the scene, and I've yet to find a good reference on the matter.

Did you guys get any more Reutberg out there yet? I'm cracking open the last of my Resupply Bundle stash.

ARSOFE wore the Green flash with the German Colors until they were Deactivated and reactivated as 7th Special Operations Support Command (SOSC) Theater Army (TA). 7th SOSC(TA) then switched to an almost teal blue flash with what I called "rainbow stripes". I believe this was right before the move from Bad Tölz to Stuttgart in late 1991/1992.

Stras, no joy with the Reutberg yet. All, as soon as I can get the document scanned I'll post it. It's a brochure from the “The Regiment First Formation". Tells the history of all flashes and why the colors are what they are.

LitleBird
04-02-2010, 11:12
Any reason why each color was selected for that particular Group ?

Reread post #6 of this thread.

Richard

Green Light
04-19-2010, 09:46
Go to the link in post #32 - you'll find it. ;)

Richard

Thx! Had to dig a bit, but it's worth it!.

Aoresteen
05-12-2010, 12:50
Actually, I was in Toelz when 1/10 reverted to the 10th Group flash...it occurred 30 September 1983...I...

I thought it was Sep 1984. I left June '84 and was still wearing the Det Eur flash as I recall....

lksteve
05-12-2010, 12:52
I thought it was Sep 1984. I left June '84 and was still wearing the Det Eur flash as I recall....Nope...when we came back from Greece in September or October of 1983, MAJ Calvert and LTC Barber were on the drop zone making uniform corrections...September of 1984, I was training LTs in IOBC...

Aoresteen
05-16-2010, 12:19
Nope...when we came back from Greece in September or October of 1983, MAJ Calvert and LTC Barber were on the drop zone making uniform corrections...September of 1984, I was training LTs in IOBC...

Man, getting old sucks. Memories fade so fast. :D I stand corected, thanks!

BTW, I had dinner with both Herr Calvert & Herr Barber in '07 at Ft Bragg. Both are doing well.

greenberetTFS
05-16-2010, 13:04

WD

3 excellent candidates,however the winner is Richard!!!! I've yet to see his info challenged except when he loves to play his devils advocate role......:rolleyes::eek::p

Big Teddy :munchin

Combat Diver
05-17-2010, 01:57

RE: 5th SFG flashes:

The original 5th SFG flash was all black in 1961.

First pattern USASFV (Prov) flash (never authorized) prior to 5th SFG deployment was all yellow with three diagonal red stripes.

The 3rd pattern 5th SFG flash was the black w/white border and diagonal yellow-red-yellow-red-yellow-red-yellow stripes denoting (a) colors of original USASFV flash, (b) colors of early TDY teams from 1st and 7th SFGs and (c) RVN flag.

The request was approved by the Institute of Heraldry on 16 Jan 85.

* Sutherland, Ian. Special Forces of the US Army; 1990.

5th Group didn't official change until later that spring of 85' (Apr or May). I had been assigned to C/1/5 in Dec 84 with the old RVN flash and was one of 20 folks from 1/5 to stand in the formal flash changing ceremony later that spring. Ceremony was conducted in front of the "Bronze Bruce Statue". We wore the old flash, than was given the command to "Uncover", heritage read then commanded to "Recover" Later in June I went to CDQC with the new flash.

Irishsquid
05-17-2010, 02:06
Don't know if it's correct or not, but I'm told that 20th SFG(A) used to have a solid blue flash. The diagonal red stripe was "awarded," by 7th SFG(A) as they are the active duty component responsible for the same AOR/mission.

Once again, I don't know if it's true or not...that's just how it was explained to me. Seemed strange, since that would mean 19th and 20th Groups had the same flash before...

VVVV
04-10-2013, 14:20
Don't know if it's correct or not, but I'm told that 20th SFG(A) used to have a solid blue flash. The diagonal red stripe was "awarded," by 7th SFG(A) as they are the active duty component responsible for the same AOR/mission.

Once again, I don't know if it's true or not...that's just how it was explained to me. Seemed strange, since that would mean 19th and 20th Groups had the same flash before...

All* USAR and ARNG SFGs wore the blue w/white border flash, prior to 1967

* 2nd, 9th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 16th, 17th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 24th SF Groups, and the 38th SF Company.

By 1967 all but the 11th, 12th, 19th, and 20th Grps, and the 38th Co. had been inactivated

In '67 the 11th switch to what they currently use, but without the white border, which was added in 1992.

That same year the 19th started wearing a Naugahyde flash (aqua or blue).

In 1972 the 12th went to it's distinctive lightening bolt flash.

The 20th wore a couple of unauthorized flashes before being authorized it's current flash. The red bend represents it's association with 7th Grp, where the 20th Grps, AD Advisors came from

38th Company got it's own flash in 1976, the year it was inactivated.

Beef
04-12-2013, 10:06
We didn't change it until 84..... I'm pretty sure we were out of VN by then......:D I was one that "converted" from a VN flash to an all black one. TS

Yes, TS. Viet Nam April 1975, Cambodia May 15, 1975. Except maybe for JCRC and some 46th SFCA folks.

Beef
04-12-2013, 10:36
Stras, as you well know, we became a branch for the enlisted in 1984 and officrs in 1986. Weall had flash color prior to that. After 1984 SF stndardized the colors so that 1/10 had to go to the 10th Grou color and 5th had to get the VN colors out. I arrived in Tolz just after the change, but like you still have my 1/10 colors. The wings background changed in the 90s as each group was allowed to mak it more group specific.

As stated, we did become a branch in 1984. Each SF Bn. was tasked with sending a representative from each MOS to the CMF 18 Series conference at SWC in early Dec. 1983. I represented 2/20 as an 11B4S/11C4S. We discussed how to revamp/update the Q Course, extended Phase 2, added infantry tactics, etc. as recommendations. We also discussed the uniform changes on the side. The FSSF crossed arrows as BOS was a no brainer. Big split, however on "qualification badge." Some wanted tabs, others, wings. The "prototype wing" design shown on the link was popular. Regular jump wings with FS dagger and arrows superimposed. Another was same with upswept style wings kind of similar to Army aviation wings. The tab design was thought to be a no brainer. Black tab, gold lettering, like the airborne tab. You could buy these on Yadkin Road, Hay St. and Bragg Blvd. So I was surprised to see the final tab design. I don't recall it ever even coming up.

VVVV
04-12-2013, 13:09
Yes, TS. Viet Nam April 1975, Cambodia May 15, 1975. Except maybe for JCRC and some 46th SFCA folks.

SF (5th Group) was officially out of the RVN in March of 1971

Beef
04-12-2013, 16:27
SF (5th Group) was officially out of the RVN in March of 1971

Yes, I Should have been more clear, WCH: that was dates for U.S. Forces in general. When 5th furled its flag, was TF-1AE still there or did they also leave? Though they wore baseball caps and MACV patches, they were still SF. Or mostly so.

TrapperFrank
04-15-2013, 09:54
Beef, if you remember, we attended together as representatives of 20th GP. My fondest memory is riding back to Mississippi in your Jeep, nearly freezing to death. It was December and that Jeep was like a rolling icebox. Good Times all around....:)

Beef
04-15-2013, 10:07
Beef, if you remember, we attended together as representatives of 20th GP. My fondest memory is riding back to Mississippi in your Jeep, nearly freezing to death. It was December and that Jeep was like a rolling icebox. Good Times all around....:)

Damn, I sure do remember! We were wrapped in blankets, sleeping bags, etc. With all our crap piled in the backseat, we looked like the Joad family going to the Yukon to pick fruit! Ha! I bet that's where my hand arthritis came from.

VVVV
04-15-2013, 10:56
Yes, I Should have been more clear, WCH: that was dates for U.S. Forces in general. When 5th furled its flag, was TF-1AE still there or did they also leave? Though they wore baseball caps and MACV patches, they were still SF. Or mostly so.

TF1AE, TF2AE, and TF3AE, were there later (April '72), but officially they were USARV units.

Beef
04-15-2013, 15:28
TF1AE, TF2AE, and TF3AE, were there later (April '72), but officially they were USARV units.

I knew that anyone who had made a 50 mile hike with a 1903 Springfield would probably have those details!:D

Masochist
05-05-2013, 20:31
Is there a significance to the direction of stripes on the beret flashes? Some go from top left to bottom right; others top right to bottom left.

Richard
05-06-2013, 06:24
Is there a significance to the direction of stripes on the beret flashes? Some go from top left to bottom right; others top right to bottom left.

No.

a-3-7
07-29-2013, 22:51
This guy:
http://www.amazon.com/Unconventional-Warrior-Operations-Commander-Afghanistan/dp/0786469714/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

is wearing a 3rd SFG flash with diagonals in red, green and black for Afghanistan. Is this a real thing? Was there a new flash for 3rd SFG?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ddL8muBaL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Richard
07-30-2013, 07:56
Is this a real thing? Was there a new flash for 3rd SFG?

What people are willing to do to 'hawk' themselves. :rolleyes:

Richard

JJ_BPK
07-30-2013, 09:52
$28 USD for the paperback?? :munchin

cooper1340s
08-27-2013, 05:03
There has been one Group not mentioned. Training Group wore a white flash, sometimes made of naugahide, but also embroidered ones.

B36reconman
08-27-2013, 06:55
Guys,

FWIW, Geoff Barker put out a history of all things SOF.."A concise History of US Army Special Operations Forces". You can get a copy from amazon for about $10.00. Its well done and contains a wealth of information..

Stras
11-24-2013, 11:48
There has been one Group not mentioned. Training Group wore a white flash, sometimes made of naugahide, but also embroidered ones.

Also made from a Clorox bleach bottle.. and easy to clean...

Utah Bob
06-30-2014, 15:55
Okay, I dredged this thread up because I had something pertinent. But the site took awhile to load and now I can't remember what it was. Dammit.
So....as you were. :mad::(

And have a happy 4th.;)

SigmaAaron
07-02-2014, 13:50
"Teach" from 7th told me the GRPs derived from the original battalions of the FSSF. On another note I was reading the other day about the crazy beret times of the 70's.....blue cavalry berets?

VVVV
07-02-2014, 14:40
"Teach" from 7th told me the GRPs derived from the original battalions of the FSSF.

Only in the minds of the TIOH....who assigned the lineage of the FSSF to SF years after the birth of SF - which was modeled after the OSS. FSSF was disbanded in 1945. The TIOH also assigned the lineage of the Rangers to SF in 1960, and the took it away years later when the Ranger Regiment was stood up. Before that SF Grps wore the PUCs awarded to the Rangers in WWII.

glebo
08-21-2014, 13:29
But, this is what the search produced.

ANy reason as to why some flashes have borders and some do not??? I know about the honoring JFK with 1st and 5th.

What about 7th and 10th with no border...any significance.

Some goofy question/trivia was asked in the office today..

thanks

Richard
08-21-2014, 14:15
I think mostly for aesthetic reasons.

The SFDAE flash is still my favorite - too bad it's gone.

Richard

VVVV
08-21-2014, 14:42
The only early SFGs whose first approved flashes had a border were the 6th and the RC Grps.

What did the 5th do to it's flash to honor JFK?

glebo
08-21-2014, 16:14
WCH, I was mistaken, I thought the white border on the 5th flash was JFK, but the border was on before JFK death...sorry

mark46th
08-21-2014, 18:40
The border on the 46th SFCo flash was the same color as its parent group, the 1st SFG(A).