PDA

View Full Version : Big stupid bowie...

DJ Urbanovsky
03-28-2010, 12:03
I just finished this knife on Monday. I'm very pleased with how it turned out, and thought you guys might appreciate it.

Specs:

OAL 21.5".

Blade length 13".

Width at widest point of blade 2.54".

Weighs in at 44.1 oz.

The black thing is a reversible/removable/quillion. Used to intercept incoming blades/sticks and protect that hand. This is the first (and possibly also the last) time I've ever done anything like this.

I've had this blade in my head for the last year, and it was good to finally get it out.

BoyScout
03-28-2010, 12:08
I like it.

Edit to add: Too bad I can't afford that.

CSB
03-28-2010, 12:15
I've seen machetes that were smaller than that.
44 ounces, plus sheath ... quite a load to add to your rucksack.
Nice finish on the steel.

greenberetTFS
03-28-2010, 12:21
I've seen machetes that were smaller than that.
44 ounces, plus sheath ... quite a load to add to your rucksack.
Nice finish on the steel.

I have to agree with CSB,that's more like a machete than your average knife,but it's pretty cool................:D;)

Big Teddy :munchin

The Reaper
03-28-2010, 14:11
Very interesting.

Is it meant to be a two-handed or hand and a half blade?

How comfortable is the grip?

TR

rubberneck
03-28-2010, 14:54
That knife would make Mick Dundee green with envy. It isn't for me but I still think it's really nice.

Tatonka316
03-28-2010, 15:12
WELL DONE, DJ! I really like the look and the length!!!:

... and for those "whining" :boohoo - about the weight ... here's one of my favorite lines from The 13th Warrior --- "GROW STRONGER!!!":lifter:lifter:lifter

molon labe

mojaveman
03-28-2010, 15:24
I could definately use something like that for doing yard work.

JJ_BPK
03-28-2010, 15:36
A bit big, but with a saddle scabbard or fender mount on a ILAV, it's GTG. You might alter the hilt for a bayonet lug??

Actually, it has a sexy curve and I do like it..

blue02hd
03-28-2010, 15:55
Nice sword!

SF-TX
03-28-2010, 16:16
DJ,

How is the square foot garden working out for you? I considered putting one in, but instead am going with a traditional garden.

DJ Urbanovsky
03-28-2010, 16:27
Thanks guys, glad you dig it.

Yeah, it's a bigun' alright. But it handles well. Might seem too big, but I'm not a big dude and I don't have any trouble swinging it around. It's surprisingly fast for it's size. And I've always maintained that it's a lot easier to do a small job with a big blade than it is to do a big job with a small blade.

Sure, it's big and ridiculous. It's right on the cusp of being a short sword. I knew it probably wouldn't appeal to everybody, but I'm ok with that. I did this as a build-off knife, and the primary goal was to flex my creative muscles and try something I hadn't done before.

I appreciate all of your feedback.

Reaper: I kinda have a thing for long handles because they make an excellent counterbalance for big blades and net you a knife that feels more "alive" and neutral in the hand. Plus, longer handles give you more grip options. I wear a size large glove, and I can get both hands on these handles. For me, the handles on this piece are quite comfortable while still maintaining good traction. I break the corners of the slabs to take the hard edges off, and that makes a huge difference.

JJ_BPK: Bayonet mounting on this piece is an intriguing idea. I'm going to have a super versatile MOLLE sheath made up for this with a Kydex liner. Gotta contact my nylon guy about that on Monday.

I'd love to hear any other suggestions or ideas you guys might have about this design.

DJ Urbanovsky
03-28-2010, 16:31
Good eye, buddy. :D

Last year was our first year doing it, and I thought it worked out really well. We got a LOT of veggies, and it was super easy to maintain. Also, the close proximity of companion plants really seemed to mitigate any pests and varmints. Thinking about adding another planter this year.

DJ,

How is the square foot garden working out for you? I considered putting one in, but instead am going with a traditional garden.

LarryW
03-28-2010, 16:40
DJ: It'd sure make an interesting hog slayer. Cabelas has something smaller but almost as interesting as yours.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0037511216129a&navCount=1&podId=0037511&parentId=cat20889&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20712-cat20889&catalogCode=IA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20889&hasJS=true

Claemore
03-28-2010, 16:57
As I said before, that is one bad-assed blade. I'm lovin it.

Blitzzz (RIP)
03-28-2010, 18:34
I love it, weight...smeight. If I had to I'd wear it, I'd wear it on my chest to add to armor protection. And if yer're gonna hack somebody up it does give ya the range. My old teams motto was throw your biggest knife last. That one would be the last.

x SF med
03-29-2010, 08:51
DJ-
Looking at the pictures of that monster Bowie made me want to yell "This is...SPARTA!" but I thought better of it, and will let mildot and mcarey yell that out.

Oh, does that thing come with a trailer, or do you have to purchase it separately?:D

DJ Urbanovsky
03-29-2010, 11:30
Thanks, guys.

LarryW: That Cabellas knife is actually large than mine. And I wouldn't want to use theirs to hunt hogs. You want your hog knife to be as bombproof as possible. Stag handles on a stick tang made out of 420? No thanks. And don't get me started on the grinds on that knife.

Blitzzz: Extra reach is the reasoning behind the handles. You get an extra three and a half inches if your holding the handles near the pommel.

x SF med: LOL!!! That's awesome. And really? A trailer? C'mon, man. A guy who humps a 200lb ruck should have no problem with this blade. :D

x SF med
03-30-2010, 09:14
DJ-
Will you be at OKC?

Team Sergeant
03-30-2010, 09:28
Nice looking but I'd get rid of the "charging handle".;)

DJ Urbanovsky
03-30-2010, 11:05
x SF med: Nope, but I'll be at Blade in Atlanata, the USN show in Vegas, and hopefully SHOT.

Team Sergeant: Yeah, it's only really practical if you plan on getting into lots of sword fights. And it's removable/reversible. :D The quillion was also a colossal pain in the ass to fabricate, so I may never do another.

My nylon guy says he can't do what I need him to do, so now I've gotta find somebody else. Grrrrrr...

Pete
03-30-2010, 15:11
I just finished this knife on Monday. I'm very pleased with how it turned out, and thought you guys might appreciate it. ....

If a Herd of Orcs attack I'm getting behind you - way behind you.

Nice - ah, sword :)