PDA

View Full Version : While In Your Car

ccrn
03-24-2010, 20:00
How do you carry?

While out and about I carry IWB strong side.

But even with practice (which I do) it would be difficult to draw and present if suddenly assaulted while behind the wheel and belted in.

Ive considered keeping it in the glove compartment while driving. One of the local SWAT guys I shoot with tells me he still carries on his hip while driving.

Any recommendations?
Thanks-

bkb0000
03-24-2010, 21:12
i wouldn't separate the weapon from myself in a vehicle.. any number of things could cause you to become separated from both. i also carry IWB, but i haven't had any problems drawing while seated. it's slower, obviously, but not slower than trying to get into a glove box. there's always cross-draw, and some guys like appendix carry for driving, but both puts the weapon directly under the lap belt, and, for appendix, i don't know how guys have room for manhood and barrel in the same spot at the same time.. plus my pants are way too tight for appendix.

you're probably not gonna find anything "better" than what you have. have you tried adjusting position? have you done any training with vehicles?

tom kelly
03-25-2010, 00:21
My primary weapon is a Les Baer .45 cal. SRP carried in a Mitch Rosen IWB holster. My back-up is a .38 S&W Special with a 2 inch barrell carried in an ankle holster,this is easier to access than the .45 while in a vehicle with a seat belt on.Be sure to put the auto or truck in park before reaching for the weapon. If you need the weapon, remain calm. Just my .02 Tom Kelly

JJ_BPK
03-25-2010, 07:32
How do you carry?

While out and about I carry IWB strong side.

But even with practice (which I do) it would be difficult to draw and present if suddenly assaulted while behind the wheel and belted in.

Any recommendations?
Thanks-

If I am in a vehicle, seeing a FTF altercation coming, I would like to think I can prepare to un-ass the weapon before it happens,, but I am an optimist..

While this vid clip of Capt Kirk might seem funny to some and outrageously un-PC to the Left, he uses a little technique that is worth taking note.

Watch the perp's eyes follow Bill's hand as he flips his watch & wallet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pcVDmX4ho4

Having something (empty wallet) to distract attention, may help someone at some time..

My $00.0002

PS: I do not agree with Bill's choice of targeted body parts. At this range,, 1st center mass,, 2nd BTE...

BTE: Between The Eye's

ZonieDiver
03-25-2010, 10:24
While this vid clip of Capt Kirk might seem funny to some and outrageously un-PC to the Left, he uses a little technique that is worth taking note.

No matter how many times I see that clip... I still love it. Long live Denny Crane, aka Captain James Tiberius Kirk!:D

jwt5
03-25-2010, 19:04
I've considered this issue, and while I have a pistol or two at my disposal plus the one on me, I'd go for a "distractor" if I'm caught off guard then move for one of my "toys"

rdret1
03-25-2010, 19:41
I carry mine IWB. It takes a little practice, but you get the hang of it after a while. If something happens at the driver window, it only takes a slight lean forward to access the weapon quickly.

dac
03-25-2010, 19:47
I carry a live ferret in my lap. In case of emergency I throw it at an attacker to buy time to pull my IWB handgun.

ccrn
03-25-2010, 20:02
If I am in a vehicle, seeing a FTF altercation coming, I would like to think I can prepare to un-ass the weapon before it happens,, but I am an optimist..

Having something (empty wallet) to distract attention, may help someone at some time..

My $00.0002

PS: I do not agree with Bill's choice of targeted body parts. At this range,, 1st center mass,, 2nd BTE...

BTE: Between The Eye's

That was absolutely hillarious! Love the video.

In my area however, most victims get shot during or after the robbery whether they surrender their possesions or not.

Back to carrying in cars....

Unlike other states ie TX or FL we do not have the Castle Doctrine applied to our vehicles. We still have a duty to retreat although Im not exactly sure how unless that means ramming the car in front of me or simply surrendering it to the perp who is suddenly outside demanding it.

Shooting him/them through the doors or glass comes to mind. Taking the time to roll down the windows and toss out a treat doesnt.

Here, most of the time they shoot first, pull you out, then take the car. My concern is whether to carry IWB while driving, or elsewhere-
Thanks

ccrn
03-25-2010, 20:05
I carry mine IWB. It takes a little practice, but you get the hang of it after a while. If something happens at the driver window, it only takes a slight lean forward to access the weapon quickly.

Thanks for this...

chance
03-25-2010, 20:42
I built a mount between my seat and the center console out of a piece of steel and then mounted a Blade Tech holster to that. Its hard to see from outside the vehicle but it's right next to my seat belt release, it's very easy to draw my 1911 from and I figure If I'm ever asked to get out of my vehicle in a not so nice way I could use the excuse that I need to take my belt off to get to my weapon. Now when I get out of my car I put the weapon in my holster on my hip.

MeC86
03-25-2010, 20:53
I too like to have a pistol on me in case I have to quickly exit my vehicle, but this makes access to the weapon slow and difficult. My solution is to continue carrying a pistol IWB and another one easily accessible in the vehicle (side of door, in between console and seat, in the sun shade)

This is something to practice at the range. Accessing, aiming, and firing from a seated position inside a car will make you think about where/what to carry.

Land Shark
03-27-2010, 19:44
I normally use the "Appendix Carry" when off-duty. It works for me but not for all (especially those with bigger bellies). I ensure my shirt is not trapped under the lab belt (of the seatbelt) and I can accesss my gun pretty easily. I never could consistently access a gun in a timely manner from IWB (4:00 position) while seatbelted.

There is an easier answer though. My dedicated "car gun" is a cheap (under $200) .357 magnum with a 3" barrel (Ruger GP100). It stays in my vehicle and rides under my right thigh while driving. A threat at my window will likely see a muzzle flash rather than a dramatic furtive movement while I try to dig a pistol from an IWB holster. If my car is broken into, that obviously sucks; but they are only getting a 6-shot revolver that I can easily replace. Otherwise, I would prefer a GLOCK 20...

I've been doing this for 15 years, and this is what works for me.

rdret1
03-27-2010, 20:22
There is an easier answer though. My dedicated "car gun" is a cheap (under $200) .357 magnum with a 3" barrel (Ruger GP100). It stays in my vehicle and rides under my right thigh while driving. A threat at my window will likely see a muzzle flash rather than a dramatic furtive movement while I try to dig a pistol from an IWB holster. If my car is broken into, that obviously sucks; but they are only getting a 6-shot revolver that I can easily replace. Otherwise, I would prefer a GLOCK 20...

I've been doing this for 15 years, and this is what works for me.

A Ruger GP100 or GP101 is a nice revolver. You would have trouble replacing it for $200. I really hope you are not leaving that revolver in your vehicle unsecured. You may think you can easily replace it, but what about the person that Thug uses it on after he takes your easily replaceable revolver. Especially if you know that person. A Thug would love to have a high quality, 6 shot revolver vs. a POS he picked up somewhere off the street. Be responsible. Secure your firearm when you are not in the vehicle.

Dan
03-28-2010, 06:51
... I really hope you are not leaving that revolver in your vehicle unsecured. You may think you can easily replace it, but what about the person that Thug uses it on after he takes your easily replaceable revolver. Especially if you know that person. A Thug would love to have a high quality, 6 shot revolver vs. a POS he picked up somewhere off the street. Be responsible. Secure your firearm when you are not in the vehicle.

Exactly. A gun lock box with securing cable can be bought for $30 (http://alamoammo.com/cart/gun-case/secure-it-20-security-box-lg-combolock). Look for one that also meets TSA airline firearm guidelines to double for that purpose.

Buckles
04-07-2010, 15:52
I carry either in my IWB or a belt slide and occasionally a quality paddle holster, when I get in the car I clear my hands route to the gun before I start the car. I treat it like a PCI and move clothing and the seat belt out of the way so that I can get to my gun.

ktek01
04-07-2010, 17:27
This might work for you driving, but not for everyone.

http://www.desantisholster.com/storefrontB2CWEB/itemdetail.do?action=prepare_detail&itm_id=7603&itm_index=0

There are others, search for air marshal holsters and you will find a bunch. They are usually designed to have good access while sedated. I would go with whatever you can wear all the time. Best to keep the weapon always in the same spot, less to go wrong when you really need to reach for it.

alelks
04-07-2010, 17:39
When I'm 100% (I'm not now because I had Rotator Cuff surgery a few weeks ago) I carry my 45 IWB strong side in a Crossbreed holster with my shirt tucked. I also sometimes carry my Ruger LCP (380) in a wallet holster on my strong side (backup piece).

Right now though I only carry my LCP in the wallet holster while walking around as I can't comfortably get my shirt raised with my left hand to get to my 45. Once I get more mobility and less pain in my left shoulder I'll go back to carrying the 45 daily. I do however carry the 45 with me (in between the seats of my truck) and then put it in the back room of my store during the day on a shelf for quick access.

I'm NEVER without my piece unless it's an establishment with a no weapons allowed sign posted or a place that it is prohibited by law. I keep mine on until it's time to get ready for bed and then it goes right next to me on the night stand. Of course I have a few pre-positioned throughout the house also.

bushmaster11
09-20-2012, 14:14
I prefer a shoulder holster on weak side, right side cross draw. Keep one button open to allow easier access. Wear larger sized shirt, holster not too obvious in armpit. FWIW.

J R sends
De Oppresso Liber

GratefulCitizen
09-20-2012, 19:28
Most of my vehicles have a cowling around the steering column which is perfect for attaching the holster.
Holster is a clip IWB with high leather.

Clips under the steering column, doesn't interfere with vehicle operation, easy right-hand draw, doesn't come loose, and it's concealed.
Transition from IWB carry to car carry is easy and discreet.

Destrier
09-21-2012, 00:04
My truck method: One can OC bear spray in drivers door, P220 sig .45 with light strong side, back up removed and placed in an under steering wheel mounted holster. Back up sig .45 taken when dismounting vehicle in small go bag or weak side.