PDA

View Full Version : It wasn't my time

MackallResident
03-19-2010, 19:16
Gentlemen,
It is with a new found ambition that I inform you(those that may have read previous posts by myself) that I have been put into a non competitive category during this week's Warrant Officer selection board. I mention my ambition because I am saying that my plan is to never give this up, I will become an aviator.

To caveat on that ambition: I have been informed that although my packet is very strong, it is lacking the tactical leadership positions needed to be truly competitive. No problem. I (as well as most) have obviously joined this forum due to my interest in SOF. Furthermore, I feel that everything has a reason. I am going to train for a bit(a 3-4 month bit) and prepare myself for assessment down at my old stomping grounds.

I still intend to fly, and am currently(and have been for a while) pursuing a degree in professional aeronautics at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, and intend to complete this goal.

The reference to "my old stomping ground": I am going to attend SFAS, and if and when I earn that honor, I will gain plenty of operational tactical leadership background, and should I choose that I still want to fly for the Army, I will try again.

Lastly: Should I not cut the mustard for said plan, I will apply once again to WOFT next year, after attending as many leadership schools, and college courses as possible to enhance my standing. Should that not pull, well, lather, rinse repeat! Pt in the AM, time for bed.

lksteve
03-19-2010, 19:20
Focus...neither goal is easy, each will take damn near all of your concentration...Good luck.

Dozer523
03-19-2010, 20:03
That is a tough break and I'm sorry. I like your alternate and contingency plans.
If it comes to the Emergency plan, I'll buy the first round. (I'm betting my wallet stays in my pocket.)

The Reaper
03-19-2010, 20:47
Gentlemen,
It is with a new found ambition that I inform you(those that may have read previous posts by myself) that I have been put into a non competitive category during this week's Warrant Officer selection board. I mention my ambition because I am saying that my plan is to never give this up, I will become an aviator.

To caveat on that ambition: I have been informed that although my packet is very strong, it is lacking the tactical leadership positions needed to be truly competitive. No problem. I (as well as most) have obviously joined this forum due to my interest in SOF. Furthermore, I feel that everything has a reason. I am going to train for a bit(a 3-4 month bit) and prepare myself for assessment down at my old stomping grounds.

I still intend to fly, and am currently(and have been for a while) pursuing a degree in professional aeronautics at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, and intend to complete this goal.

The reference to "my old stomping ground": I am going to attend SFAS, and if and when I earn that honor, I will gain plenty of operational tactical leadership background, and should I choose that I still want to fly for the Army, I will try again.

Lastly: Should I not cut the mustard for said plan, I will apply once again to WOFT next year, after attending as many leadership schools, and college courses as possible to enhance my standing. Should that not pull, well, lather, rinse repeat! Pt in the AM, time for bed.

So you think you are going to SFAS to polish your resume?

There are few, if any leadership opportunities there.

This does not strike me as a great plan.

TR

SF_BHT
03-20-2010, 06:58
Occupation
68G30(Patient Administration, Air Evacuations and Hospital MA), was an 11B for a while, guess my ankle couldn't quite slice it at the time.

OK understand your desire but your plan is not good. What makes you think that you are SF material if your not able to hang as an 11B? Trust me and read my lips..... 11B is just a walk in the park compared to being in SF.

1st getting through Selection and you have admitted having a BAD Ankle?????? :confused:

2nd as TR said this is not a way to build up your resume for leadership.

If flying is your thing GOOD For YOU. Focus on it and do what is needed to get in. Do not waste our time and slots trying to get somewhere else. I will tell you that you will not be well received in SF when they find out you are just trying to use us as a stepping stone to get to Rucker. A lot of SF have gone to Rucker and that is OK but your plan is just to whore us out to get accepted to fly.:mad:

Go back to being an 11B and become a leader in Big Mother army and get accepted. You will not be wasting a limited resource and you will have more opportunity's to lead.......

Just my 2 cents.....

craigepo
03-20-2010, 07:59
Have you been to Ranger school yet?

Utah Bob
03-20-2010, 08:29
So you think you are going to SFAS to polish your resume?

There are few, if any leadership opportunities there.

This does not strike me as a great plan.

TR

I agree.

MackallResident
03-20-2010, 11:54
Ranger School: no.

I appreciate the input, and I am not trying to back pedal when I say this: I did not intend to make it sound that I want to whore out SF for my resume, I apologize for this, as when I once again reread my post, I definitely sounded that way.

My original plan has always been a teeter totter between aviation and SF. By trying my hand a few times for aviation, and coming up a little short, I have in essence, re analyzed what I am doing. I plan to attend SFAS, and as mentioned to continue towards my BSPA degree. When mentioning that I will become a pilot regardless, I really am saying that since my degree plan includes ground school, and the beginnings of flight training, that eventually that route will lead to me becoming an aviator.

As far as my ankle: to me, this is a non issue now. When I was in the infantry, I broke my ankle, and subsequently was reclassed, I received my orders while still in a hard cast and using crutches. The Doctor at the time said he doubt I would run again. I now run, pain free at least every day, with decent pace. <5 miles I run normally around a 7:00 min/mile and above that around 8:00-8:30.

My ruck marching needs improvement. My four mile(tarmac/sidewalk) is around 60:00 min right now, I want to get as close to 50:00 as possible. At which point my 12 mile and 15 mile times should improve also(my training program is exactly by the book from SORB, the off days consist of running and multiple muscle failure events).

I appreciate the fact that you gentlemen are honest with everyone here. I know that regardless of what I say, due to the fact that I banged my leg up pretty nicely years ago, I am expected to suck to some extent. But I will not give up. I will however, take all said advice and consider the option of putting in a 4187 and trying to revert to big Army 11B, I have just been told up until this point tat I couldn't do that, but most recently was informed that that information was incorrect and that I can.

I assure all of you that I give my all to any route that I take. Thank you.

MC

MackallResident
03-21-2010, 14:03
So, a weekend of deliberation with my spouse, and discussion on the consensus from this board. I am going to talk my retention NCO tomorrow to go about that 4187 to get back in the big 11B world.

You are all correct. It would an injustice for me to attend SFAS if that is not where 100% of my heart is. If I were to make it through the pipeline, and later decide once again that I have a burning desire to fly for the Army instead of SOF, then I will be creating excess need for another slot. I apologize for my some what irrational thinking. Thanks for keeping me grounded.

Riott_Earp
03-21-2010, 20:13
I believe that's the right decision. If you want SF, you better want it over anything else. It would suck to get halfway into selection and all the sudden you start seeing imaginary helicopters flying around your head. I'm sure that flight training starts to look real good when you're along in the dark rucking and nav'ing through draws.

Utah Bob
03-25-2010, 07:22
I think you have made a rational decision, given your mindset at this point in your career. Many people are unable to do that. Good luck to you.

caveman
05-03-2010, 13:59
Don't feel bad about not getting picked up for warrant, the flight school pipeline is VERY backed up right now. I have a buddy who arrived for WOCS last October (2009) and won't even touch an aircraft till November (2010) at the earliest.

It's cyclic...they pick up a ton of guys for a few years and then nobody for awhile until the guys from a couple cycles back start getting out. Right now is a very difficult time to get picked up.

MackallResident
06-15-2010, 10:52
I have been lurking for a while now, but i figured I would post update:

As most who have read my posts know, I was "on the fence" between Warrant Officer Flight Training and SFAS, when in reality I should not have been undecided at all. The true reason for my indecision was because I was a non select.

I have now been selected for WOFT, and am ready as ever, due in great part to the fact that when i was non selected I upped the PT ante and started hoofing it daily. I am now pretty physically sound as far as PT goes, and reaady to roll out.

I will still make it to the SOF community, mark my words, after all, Nightstalkers don't quit right?