PDA

View Full Version : She's 'Indiana Jones, Mother Teresa, Susan Sarandon' to Peru's poor

olhamada
03-19-2010, 11:05
Incredible story of a NY model giving her life away for 21 years to become a medical missionary to the Amazon jungles of Peru - despite the fact that she had no medical training.

She now provides opportunities for medical teams to go to the remote areas of the Amazon jungle on foot, by helo, or canoe for trips of 1 to 4 weeks.

Very inspiring.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/03/18/cnnheroes.webster.peru/index.html?hpt=C1

ZonieDiver
03-19-2010, 16:48
Damn! I used to hang out in the WRONG jungle! :D

Good for her!

echoes
03-19-2010, 18:55
Peruvians are such a wonderful race of people!:)

In fact, after visiting there in '08, my mind was seared with one particular image. I was on my way to Santa Maria, south of Lima, when I looked out the car window. I saw Petrol Peru, I think it was called, carved into the sand of the mountainside. Then I saw what appeared to be ants running up and down in the sandy mountainside...
Turns out they were people, employees, who lived in cardboard huts on the side of the mountain. Upon closer inspection, I saw they were carrying buckets up and down the steep incline, to their "homes." Having never seen such poverty in real life, I was amazed, and grateful to live in the USA...where we have so much, but are sometimes so un-grateful...:(

In any case, after reading the link, and checking the roster of employees, it does not look like this is a politically movitaed group at all. It's board seems genuine, and can only hope they can help those in need.

Holly

SF_BHT
03-19-2010, 20:00
You do not want to know what I think of her. I know her and have seen her there for years. This article is not the whole story.........:eek:

olhamada
03-19-2010, 22:06
You do not want to know what I think of her. I know her and have seen her there for years. This article is not the whole story.........:eek:

Actually, I'd love to hear the whole story. Please do tell. :munchin

SF_BHT
03-20-2010, 06:41
OK, and this is first hand not rumor.....

1. Drug user
2. Drug Dealer
3. Con Artist
4. Thief
5. Whore/ Prostitute

These are just the broad areas and she has covered a lot of sub sections. This video is the best I have ever seen her in the 12+ years I have known/known of her. Yes she was a guide. You know why, she came down on vacation got into the local drugs/dealing and dropped off the face of the earth in a drug stupor. Being a guide is what a lot do in this situation. She has been in brought up on charges for all the above and has done time......

She does assist with groups of good hearted medical people that are coming down but she is not the one doing all the work...... She uses this to keep her afloat..... She is on the boulevard almost every night drinking, snorting and just being a Hoe........ She targets foreigners, befriends them, party's with them and takes advantage of them as the opportunity's arise. I am sorry to see CNN has been duped with this. If you are a visitor and unaware of the environment you might think in passing she is just another ex-pat down with the natives but if you are there for a long time you see what she really is. She hangs around with the beatnik crowd that are scraping by. They sell trinkets and drugs to survive to all that will buy during the night. She normally looks dirty, more gaunt in the face and and strung out. I have seen her steal money from tables and wallets from unsuspecting people.

I just steer clear of her and her kind down there. Who ever put her up for this is probably a great person that had a weeks contact with her during their Do Good trip and do not understand the reality. This girl also gets the remainder of the supplies from these trips and then sells them for her financial use.....

Enough said I could go on for a long time. :confused::eek:

olhamada
03-26-2010, 14:49
Wow. Thanks SF BHT. Great info.

I'm beginning to lose faith in CNN. :rolleyes: (said tongue-in-cheek)

akv
03-26-2010, 15:43
"She's 'Indiana Jones, Mother Teresa, Susan Sarandon' to Peru's poor"

SF_BHT's insights into this story make a whole lot more sense than CNN's fairy tale.

My question is what's the sophistication of the journalist who came up with the title for the piece? How can you compare Mother Teresa's 45 years of caring for the poor of Calcutta , to a comic book hero, or some silly liberal actress?