PDA

View Full Version : Blame technology for poor behaviors??

JJ_BPK
03-19-2010, 06:24
Last year you settled fights with lighter fluid,,

This year you stomp'm with Converse Air-Heels (steel toe safety boots)..

The same school different tactics..

Text Message Dispute Triggered Brutal Florida Beating, AP

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/03/18/text-message-dispute-triggered-brutal-florida-beating/?test=latestnews

The 15-year-old suspect was ordered held at a juvenile detention center while prosecutors determine whether to charge him as an adult.
DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla. -- The brutal beating of a 15-year-old girl at a Florida middle school was triggered by a text message dispute between the victim and the teenage boy accused punching and stomping on her with steel-toed boots, authorities said Thursday.

The 15-year-old suspect was ordered held at a juvenile detention center while prosecutors determine whether to charge him as an adult. He was arrested after the attack Wednesday on a charge of premeditated attempted murder. His next court date is March 26.

The Broward Sheriff's Office said Josie Lou Ratley was in critical condition a day after the attack.

The sheriff's office also said a 13-year-old girl was arrested Thursday as an accessory to the brutal beating.

Broward County Sheriff Al Lamberti said the 13-year-old girl pointed out the victim to the boy when he arrived at Deerfield Beach Middle School. Lamberti said the male suspect and the victim didn't know each other well.

The girl "knew he was going to do this, did nothing to stop him, and in fact, directed him to Josie, the victim, and pointed her out," Lamberti said.

The male suspect and the 13-year-old girl were in a relationship, and she had been using other people's phones to send him text messages because she didn't have one of her own, Lamberti said. The suspect had sent a message to Ratley's phone to get in touch with the other girl.

Lamberti said that the victim objected to the boy's relationship with the 13-year-old and said so during an exchange of text messages with him.

"Those messages went back and forth and one of the messages was a comment regarding the suicide of his brother, that's apparently what set him off," Lamberti said.

Authorities said the boy then rode his bicycle to the middle school and got the 13-year-old to help him find Ratley.

A teacher pulled the male suspect off the girl, who was airlifted to a hospital.

Defense attorney Betsy Benson, who's representing the male suspect, said the brother's suicide played a role in the incident.

"I think that what we are going to find out is that the impact of this had a lot to do with this situation," she said.

Students from the same middle school were also involved in an attack last year in which a teenage boy, Michael Brewer, was set on fire.

"It seems like with this youth violence happening, it seems like we have a culture of callousness going on with kids. We really have to get to the bottom of it." Lamberti said.

I smell money being spent,, or is it a hot ambulance chaser,, probably both?? :mad::eek::mad::eek:

MackallResident
03-19-2010, 06:32
I am almost afraid to bring a child into this world because of things like this. Not that I don't think i could handle my own children and raise them in a correct manner, but that it would almost be an injustice to them at this point in time. This is a shame, that 15 year old should be caned and imprisoned.

What type of self respecting man beats a woman or girl? Trash, that is the type that does this. No self respect, and no respect for others, even if it upsets you that your brother committed suicide, albeit unfortunate, still not an excuse for terrible judgement.

Pete
03-19-2010, 07:31
It is interesting that back in the day I would never smart off to an adult.

First - because the adult would whip my ass. Second - because the adult would probably drag me to my house. and Third - then I would get my ass whomped by my dad.

Walk abreast in the road causing cars to stop and try and inch around you? Would be cause for above. Now that seems to be the norm, and when people try and get around they get the "mean" look.

Most kids now days seem to be doing their best to be like gang-bangers.

Dozer523
03-19-2010, 07:46
Maybe this school needs to go to a new uniform policy -- flip flops.

JJ_BPK
03-19-2010, 07:55
Walk abreast in the road causing cars to stop and try and inch around you? Would be cause for above. Now that seems to be the norm, and when people try and get around they get the "mean" look.

Most kids now days seem to be doing their best to be like gang-bangers.

The 16th century soothsayer Nostradamus foretold this when he penned his infamous children's lullaby "Clockwork Orange"..

Additionally reinforced when Stanley Kubrick fertilized the seeds of rebellion by releasing his cinematic epic to the parents of today's gangbangers.

:eek:

rdret1
03-19-2010, 09:01
That is why I hate dealing with juveniles as an officer. You want to beat the crap out of them but can't. I responded to a middle school once where the principal and a coach were sitting on a 15 year old female because she had tried to fight with them. She was cursing and threatening and everything else. She had assaulted another girl. I had her cuffed when her mother arrived. Her mother and brothers have a lengthy history as well. The first question her mother asked was why the principal and coach had been sitting on her daughter, not what her daughter had done wrong.

Requiem
03-20-2010, 14:45
Who's winning the "hearts and minds" of American youth?

This is from Chester Finn, Jr., former Asst. Sect'y at the Dept of Education:

The typical young American, upon turning 18, will have spent just 9% of his or her hours on this planet under the school roof (and that assumes full-day kindergarten and perfect attendance) versus 91% spent elsewhere. As for the rest of that time, the Kaiser Family Foundation recently reported that American youngsters now devote an astounding 7.5 hours per day to "using entertainment media" (including TV, Internet, cellphones and videogames). That translates to about 53 hours a week—versus 30 hours in school.

We become what we behold.

Mr. Finn's entire essay is here (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704207504575130073852829574.html?m od=WSJ_LifeStyle_LeadStoryNA). He makes an interesting case for "high performance" schools even as some of our nation's schools go to a 4-day week. One of his arguments is that countries with longer school hours and greater expectations have less discipline problems.

-Susan

Edited to say that I'm not advocating that teachers and our education system take over the duties of parents. (Which seems to be the case these days.) I'm only pointing out that a busy child is (usually) a well-behaved one.