PDA

View Full Version : Wearable antenna system

Snaquebite
03-18-2010, 11:06
Have you commo guys seen this?
http://wearableantenna.com/tactical_vest_antenna_system/

The Tactical Vest Antenna System (TVAS) is a concealable antenna designed for military applications. The radiating elements slide smoothly over the SAPI plates inside the plate carrier, consequently placing the antenna out of enemy’s sight, and out of the radio operator’s way. The antenna system consists of two antenna inserts, two interconnecting cables, and a cable for radio connection. The TVAS also contains a quick release mechanism which allows the operator to disconnect the system in emergency situations.

Specifications
Frequency Range:30-512Mhz
Gain:-10dBi at 30.00Mhz
Power Input:7 Watts
Weight:9oz / 255.14 grams
Coverage:Omni-directional
Interconnect Wire Length:12″
Radio Compatibility:PRC-148, PRC-152, PRC-117, etc.
Radio Connector:TNC
Vest Type:Bottom-Loading SAPI
Impedance:50ohm

AndyBear
03-21-2010, 17:50
Yikes, that looks scary to me... Interesting notion. Any one used it yet? Or make their own? Our Echo made us antennas that we looped through our molle out of coax cable. They worked fairly well.

systaltic
03-22-2010, 15:45
Looks like something to build this week before max gain. (Sans the Darth Vader chest piece.)

AndyBear
03-22-2010, 17:35
Pictures and details please when you finish.

FearMonkey
03-23-2010, 02:27
The company sent myself and the other echo on the team two sets to field test in Afghanistan. They arrived at our firebase about two weeks ago and we've been using them ever since. So far they've gone through a HAF and a few GAC's.

The range has been decent so far. I don't think the clarity is as good as the long whip antenna, but it's definitely better than the short whip. So, you are sacrificing some range but on the other hand you don't have a long whip antenna smacking you in the face either or getting caught up in the vehicle which is nice.

Other issues have been that the attaching cables are designed to be break-away which is nice in theory but in application will break away if you twist your body too much or jolt your body armor. I had to re-connect my antenna 5x during an air assault raid. To remedy this I just ended up taping the cables so they won't break apart and haven't had issues since. I understand they want to make it break-away for use with break-away armor, but if in the event I need to ditch my armor I will just use a seat belt cutter to cut the cable (and all the other crap running over my shoulder; ie, camelback, push-to-talk cables, demo charges, etc).

The last issues that I did not like is that the unavoidable fact of using an antenna that is meant to go inside your body armor means you will have to actually cut a small hole in your vest to route the cables through. I think my kit undergos enough trauma as is, and I'm just not a huge fan of cutting extra holes in it.

Those issues aside, I have been happy with my wearable antenna so far. It is definitely a nice luxury to be just a bit more slick in this day and age of overweight, over-sized, and cumbersome war-fighters. I am willing to make a few small sacrifices for that luxury (slightly weaker signal than a long whip, cut a few small holes in my armor, and having to work around the break-away cables).

I look forward to seeing how it holds up for the rest of the deployment.

SF_BHT
03-23-2010, 05:29
The company sent myself and the other echo on the team two sets to field test in Afghanistan. They arrived at our firebase about two weeks ago and we've been using them ever since. So far they've gone through a HAF and a few GAC's.

The range has been decent so far. I don't think the clarity is as good as the long whip antenna, but it's definitely better than the short whip. So, you are sacrificing some range but on the other hand you don't have a long whip antenna smacking you in the face either or getting caught up in the vehicle which is nice.

Other issues have been that the attaching cables are designed to be break-away which is nice in theory but in application will break away if you twist your body too much or jolt your body armor. I had to re-connect my antenna 5x during an air assault raid. To remedy this I just ended up taping the cables so they won't break apart and haven't had issues since. I understand they want to make it break-away for use with break-away armor, but if in the event I need to ditch my armor I will just use a seat belt cutter to cut the cable (and all the other crap running over my shoulder; ie, camelback, push-to-talk cables, demo charges, etc).
The last issues that I did not like is that the unavoidable fact of using an antenna that is meant to go inside your body armor means you will have to actually cut a small hole in your vest to route the cables through. I think my kit undergos enough trauma as is, and I'm just not a huge fan of cutting extra holes in it.

Those issues aside, I have been happy with my wearable antenna so far. It is definitely a nice luxury to be just a bit more slick in this day and age of overweight, over-sized, and cumbersome war-fighters. I am willing to make a few small sacrifices for that luxury (slightly weaker signal than a long whip, cut a few small holes in my armor, and having to work around the break-away cables).

I look forward to seeing how it holds up for the rest of the deployment.

I would recommend getting a tube of Marine Goop (Shoe Goo) Dab a little on the connector break away point and it is sealed from coming apart, dust free and corrosion free. Plus it is a great adhesive when you are attaching something in the vehicle, etc..... I use it for a lot as I also work in a harsh environment. Takes a while to cure but in mission prep you doctor all your connections and let it setup for the night it is done almost forever. It cleans up post use pretty well by using a pair of needle nose pliers and pulling it off. Oh it is great for repairing shoes/boots like it was designed. They make it in a lot of types (Shoe/plummers/home/marine/etc..) I use Marine as it holds up the best in the 24/7 sun and harsh weather.

Just my 2 cents....

systaltic
03-24-2010, 16:47
Pictures and details please when you finish.

Will do. I've already bought some of the materials and the "interconnect cables" are done. My research/planning/tinkering time for the plates was side-lined this week (class, packing/preparing, IODA TACs, and my girl). I'll get back on the project when we return.

For anyone else building one:

-Remember not to seal the plates together until after you swr the heck out of different internal cable configurations. I'm finding that evenly spaced out zig-zag patterns and random repeating rectangular patterns work well (I removed the plastic, copper and clear plastic shielding from the coax within the plates).

-I'm using plastic for the plates right now due to the fact that I am still testing ideas. I don't recommend anyone use plastic for a final product. Kevlar blunt trauma pads might be a good/inexpensive solution:
http://bulletproofme.com/New%20Images/Trauma%20Plates.jpg
(steel on the left, kevlar on the right)

systaltic
03-24-2010, 17:02
The company sent myself and the other echo on the team two sets to field test in Afghanistan.

You wouldn't mind breaking one open for me would you? :D

I would recommend getting a tube of Marine Goop

YES! You just solved a problem I had with another of my antenna projects (I ended up using shrink wrap). Thanks!

rwt_bkk
03-25-2010, 02:28
Gain:-10dBi at 30.00Mhz

that worries me a bit, giving up quite a bit of signal there. Of course the problem is going to be trying to figure out a freq range you want to use as "standard" if you can do that. Another problem will be SWR if you are near any metal plates.

Just my .02 YMMV

albeham
03-25-2010, 06:16
I like antenna manufactures , they will say anything to sell there great antenna.

Being a ham, I remember a bunch of years ago when in the radio magazines they would show a cool picture of a new antenna, give you the specs, and tell you this is the one.

The specs would be in dB . Today we get the same, but its in dBi. so whats the difference ? ( I am asking, I know the answer, but I am still asking you )

-10 dBI @ 30 Mhz is shit. Hell that's a not even a wet rock being loaded, its just a rock load.

The frequency span is big. That tells me that the antennas "Q". (look it up) is low. In trying to keep the antenna close to a low SWR, or resonant, designers will add resister(s) loads to the antenna, so the radio sees the antenna as a match to what even frequency it transmits on. Another way is to use traps.

Working in this RF field of Electronic Engineering, for a few days now. When I given some great new antenna, to solve all of my radio issues, I always look at the devils details.

I have not worn this system, I am just looking at the specs, but like another commo man once told me;

Its not an true antenna, but my hummers bumper got 5X5 ...

If it works then use it, I love field testing.

Being that the antenna is omni -directional I wonder what the E and H fields look like?

I also wonder if it works like a large capacitor, and the human body is the insulator in the middle?

AL :munchin

hotshot
04-01-2010, 07:48
From my experience wearing kit on a few deployments this seems like a viable option. Being one of the first designs I'm sure it will lack in areas. We can only hope that the shortcomings are mitigated before too much money is spent on them...

By keeping the connections up high like that will keep them out of way of possible damage. One of the problems I had with carrying a long-whip is that I had to inspect my wiring from time to time and I had to replace mine 2 times in one deployment. I'll finish with my 2 centavos on the coax antenna routed through molle. Those are definately sexy, and lightweight. But unfortunately they lack range and more importantly as soon as you want to talk to someone on a different frequency (Joint OP) you have to use your truck or change antennas.

In summary, I like the long-whip. I can connect it directly to my radio, I can attach it to my back using coax, I get decent range even when coiled up, I can get better range if i uncoil it. And I can talk to just about anyone...

Reguards

CH

FearMonkey
04-17-2010, 16:02
Well, this soldier's field testing of the wearable antenna system is complete. I can testify to the fact that wearable antennas will in no way prevent bullets from impacting with your femur. :D

SF_BHT
04-17-2010, 18:06
Well, this soldier's field testing of the wearable antenna system is complete. I can testify to the fact that wearable antennas will in no way prevent bullets from impacting with your femur. :D

Dude you OK? Hope you are up and going soon.....:munchin

PedOncoDoc
04-17-2010, 21:18

I'm assuming that feature wasn't tested at the request of the manufacturer.

Here's to hoping for a speedy and full recovery.

FearMonkey
07-13-2010, 23:21
Thanks guys. I'm coming along just fine. I just started walking without crutches or a cane a little over a week ago. Still got a pretty good hitch in my step but hopefully that'll go away in time too. Keep your thoughts on the team though... on a team of eleven we've had six WIA (five from direct fire). Things are heating up in Afghanistan, indeed!

I e-mailed my AAR comments to the company and it turns out that they've actually listened to some of the feedback and corrected all of the issues that I could find and a few more brought to their attention from other sources.

I am excited to see what their 2nd Gen release is gonna look like. I hope there are some units that bite on this piece of technology because I think it really has a good niche. It's a nice to have for DA-type missions, but it's a must have for anything low-vis. It's a pain in the ass to hide a long whip under man jams!

Thanks again for the good wishes.