PDA

View Full Version : I want electronic ear protection.

PriestFoxley
03-12-2010, 19:31
I got my first set of electronic earpro a few months back, and I love them. they flipflop from my range bag to my assault pack on a regular basis, but I started learning things from hard use.

Mine are cheap ($70) impact sport earmuffs that sorta/kinda fit under the current issue ACH, but there is a bit of a tight fit. Any time I go to a sporting goods store I look like an idiot for carrying an ACH in to test fit, and I never find a good set anyway.

See, my set has an auto-shut off feature after four hours, and I know I can find a set that works a bit better.

I am regular army, so swapping out the ACH for a better helmet is out of the question. I already ditched the bullshit harness for one of those Ops-core sets. (I am left handed, so trying to get a cheek weld past that buckle was a pain.)

I am not worried about price. getting the right stuff means not bitching about how much it costs, so if you guys could point me in the direction of a good set of combat electronic ear pro, I would be really grateful.

koz
03-12-2010, 20:41
For a lower cost set - Peltor Tac6 (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=43BE3KOSIVARNLAQBBJCCO3MCAEFGI WE?id=0006334221904a&type=product&cmCat=froogle&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=froogle&cm_pla=1240605&cm_ite=0006334221904a&_requestid=156894). I've had great luck with a set of Peltor Comtac's (http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-MT15H69FB-09-Com-Tac-II-Headset/dp/B0014ZYYKW). MSA Sordin makes some good muffs as well - but I've never used them.

Peregrino
03-12-2010, 20:59
I've got the Sordins - nice - and expensive too. Check with Grey Group; they'll hook you up.

The Reaper
03-12-2010, 21:04
Sordins from TCI.

You might use the Search button and find out more.

TR

jatx
03-13-2010, 08:45
Sordins are great...if you get some, look into the replacement ear gels. They make a big difference once you've had them on all day.

PriestFoxley
03-13-2010, 12:39
great advice. Thanks, everyone.

ccrn
03-23-2010, 11:24
Greetings all-
I was following this thread with some interest as hearing protecting is very important to me.

I too am interested in electronic hearing pro but it is a bit expensive for me at this time and Il lbe issued the Peltors when I deploy.

Ive used the foam earplugs and issue triple flanges we all recieve from the Army or see on the range. And I use a pair of civilian passive muffs that are rated 31 NNR when shooting on my own.

Ive looked at all the above mentioned products, ones Ive used, and the OSHA stats on hearing protection and thought I'd post some interesting factoids:

OSHA forumla for rating hearing pro
X= dBA - NNR - 7
X = dBC - NRR
So with an estimated dBA of 150 for a gunshot using the Sordins rated at NNR 18 dB that would be 139 = 150 - [18 - 7]. So thats still a large amount of dB to be exposed to. Occupational hazard I suppose.

Because NRR are determined in controlled labratory environments OSHA recommended adjustment for work place conditions subtracts 50% from that figure so you would end up with only about an NNR of 6.
X = 150dBA - [(NNR - 7) x 50%] would be a dBA of 144 which is still within the realm of pain and injury when exposed to the sound of a larger caibre gunshot.

Someting else I found intersting was their rating for double protection. They only ad an NRR of 5 for the second protection device worn which would be
X = 150dBA - [(NRR-7) x %50] + 5. That would bring the dBA to 139 which is far higher than the dBA90 recommended by OSHA and touted by most manufactorers of hearing protection.

http://www.osha.gov/dts/osta/otm/noise/hcp/attenuation_estimation.html we can take OSHA with a grain of salt of course but withoug looking CDC and other sources its the only thing I have at this time. EPA ratings for NRR go back to 1981 BTW.

If Ive misinterpreted this information somebody please sqaure me away!

Some NRR ratings for hearing pro:

Sordin 18dBA
Peltor 21dBA
Surefire EP4 19dBA
Combat Plugs (Green-Yellow) 22dBA/25dBA
Hex Foam 29dBA
Triple Flange Issue 26 dBA
Round Yellow Foam 19-28 dBA fit depending

The Reaper
03-23-2010, 11:46
I usually use the triple flange under the Sordins for shooting anything over 7.62, unless I am running a suppressor.

Good reason to buy a can.

TR

Smokin Joe
03-23-2010, 17:46
I just got a pair of Sordin MSA's they are the cats ass!

I have burned through two pair of peltors, but these Sordins are twice as comfy and the sound quality is ridiculous... I never thought electronic ears could be so clean and clear.

The price may make you wince but trust me you will not be disappointed.

jatx
03-23-2010, 21:59
Flanged earplugs under Sordins are not a bad idea, as TR stated. You can crank up the volume enough to hear speech and still get the required noise reduction. If I go run drills on my SBR using just the Sordins, I end up with a splitting headache...

english kanigit
05-01-2010, 21:42
Sordins. They only hurt once and that's when you buy them.

The cost is soon forgotten with the daily use of quality gear. Get the gel ear cushions as well, they are awesome.

Ek

ZoneOne
06-05-2010, 14:44
To anyone that has the Sordins with Dual Com capability, any tips to securing the extra cable when only running it on only one net? Zip ties? It seems to get in the way for me and I've considered cutting it but I'm not a fan of making such a permanent alteration.

18C4V
06-05-2010, 18:14
To anyone that has the Sordins with Dual Com capability, any tips to securing the extra cable when only running it on only one net? Zip ties? It seems to get in the way for me and I've considered cutting it but I'm not a fan of making such a permanent alteration.

Yeah, I run a dual com to monitor two freaks, run the other cord over the head set under the velcro. You may have to take the top pad off in your ACH/MICH and create a channel to run it.

The only problem I found with running ear pro under your electronic ear pro is that it's very hard to differenate when you're being shot at. I only tried them once and after I got into my first TIC, I shit canned them for better SA.

Having ear pro is a must whether it's electronic or not. I took quite a few IED's and having those electronic ear pros saved my ears and I just passed a new MFF Physcial for MFF JM with no hearing damage. On the other end, I got guys on my team with hearing damage from IED's. and TIC's (which was before I got the nod to become the Z). Now, I just have to find a way to have comms and still do meet and greets in low vis.

Bushranger
07-09-2010, 23:51
I personally hate Peltors, that metal strip is killing my head, especially under helmet. I ended up using just common headset and surefire earplugs under it, just on the half way in on my non-shooting side. I am looking for device which is size of earplugs and have electronic ambient hearing, and there are some on the market. Do somebody have extensive practical experience with these?
PS: Sorry for my grammar

Peregrino
03-19-2011, 20:14
Just got gel cups for my Sordins. (Thanks Grey Group!) WTF didn't they come with them in the first place? Just as expensive (relatively, given that it's only the "hygiene" kit) as the original earmuffs but a significant improvement.

kgoerz
03-19-2011, 20:18
Can you buy them with the Gel cups. Post a link if you have it. My peltors are on their last leg. Have a class starting in a week.

The one link has them for $255.00 are they worth it? I need them about nine hours a day

Peregrino
03-19-2011, 20:50
Keith - Don't know. I do know the retail was $47 just for the hygiene kit. That's on top of $282 for the muffs. GG might be able to do better than that if you call. Try www.greygrouptraining.com. FWIW - mine are an older version of the MSA Supreme Pro. If you're going to be doing a lot of rifle, you might want to use TR's suggestion and wear triple flanges underneath them. Adjusting the volume negates the extra noise damping for conversations while preventing the HF rifle blasts from giving you the headaches mentioned elsewhere. The gel cups really do make it more comfortable, especially if you're wearing glasses. HTH.

Papa Zero Three
03-19-2011, 22:14
Haven't seen mention of these and thought I would throw them out. Might be more than some are willing to dish out but they work like the cat's meow and you can't ask for a lower profile set of hearing pro that still provides comm's. One goes in each ear and they work just like a set of Peltors/Sordins do. They are great for high noise environments like inside aircraft, while wearing an O2 mask, in a moving vehicle or during a TIC since they use bone conduction and there is no background noise to be picked up. You do have to seat them in your ear properly to get the best result but once you learn how to do it, it's no big deal. Digital Ears/X5 hearing pro (http://swatheadsets.com/Digital%20Ears.htm)

Snaquebite
03-20-2011, 19:40
Keith, PM Sent

Bushranger
03-20-2011, 22:10
What about these, could be a bit more comfortable: M™ Peltor™ ORA TAC In-Ear Tactical Communications Headset
link: http://peltorcomms.3m.com/Americas/Product.asp?PageNumber=1010&ProductCategory_Id=16&Product_Id=408

orion5
09-30-2011, 10:40
Sordins from TCI.

TR

TCI (Tactical Command Industries) (http://www.tacticalcommandstore.com/electronic_hearing_protection.aspx) is having a 25% off sale today, Sept-30.

MSA Sordins (DEHP Pro-X) are at the following price:

$325.00 List price
$257.00 Normal TCI price
$192.75 Today's sale price
------------------------------------
+ $12.13 UPS Ground to N.Texas

$204.88 Could vary depending on where you live

If the above link to TCI does not automatically populate with the discount code, add "SEPT-30" to the coupon code box, after you add items to your shopping cart.

At the recommendation of The Reaper and Peregrino, I got mine from TCI about a year ago (@ $288), and I love them. Enjoy! ;)

Specs:

NNR 21.
5 year limited warranty.
Provides optimum protection with ambient sound amplification using advanced digital sound processing.
Digital Threat Compression and Digital Situational Awareness Enhancement (DSEA) installed.
Low-profile earcup design ensures proper weapon positioning and comfortable fit under tactical helmets.
Two separate and well-shielded ambient sound microphones enable optimal situational awareness and directional sound detection.
Industry leading audio response with natural sound reproduction without without the clipping effect provided by other electronic hearing protectors.
Five volume settings with memory.
600 hour battery life from two standard AAA batteries (included).
Includes upgraded battery compartment and battery cap.
Automatic shut-off.
Audible warning when remaining battery life falls below 40 hours.
Waterproof battery compartment and internal electronics. Environmental standards and performance.
Reduces dangerous noise levels by means of acoustical compression technology, rendering ambient sound safe in the headset.
Black or OD Green Earcup options.
Standard OTH Suspension with Removable Cloth Headband Cover or BTH Behind-the-Head Suspension. (+ $24 for BTH)
3.5 mm Aux audio jack for certain consumer applications.
Gel-Ear Seal Upgrade - Included ($42 value)

Not designed for conversion into a communication headset.

Ghost_Team
03-16-2012, 00:40
If you are into unsuppressed long gun shooting, but want the noise cancelling ability of earmuffs you can check these guys out. They make noise cancelling earplugs that can be custom fitted to a mold of your ear. They can also be tuned to work as hearing aids and make up for any hearing loss. Fair warning - they are expensive ($1000+). I have a set and I love them.

http://www.sportear.com/hearing-aids/custom-series/custom-series-210

B_2XLT
05-24-2012, 07:47
Enter coupon code "TGIF" during checkout to apply the discount coupon code. This coupon code is valid through May 27, 2012 and available for website purchases only.

Aoresteen
06-18-2012, 21:43
Don't undervalue the cost of good ear protection. I wish I had. Last year the VA issued me hearing aids - I'm a P2 for hearing (soon to be a P3). Once it's gone, it doesn't come back. It just get worse.

Trust me, wearing hearing aids is not something you want to end up doing. Get the best protection possible.

69harley
06-19-2012, 08:52
I was recently given a set of Sensear noice cancelling earmuffs. Was sceptical at first, but they seem to supress more noise than my old set of Peltors and they interface very easily with other devices.

http://www.sensear.com/ear-muffs-range.php

koz
06-19-2012, 09:02
Another option - http://www.espamerica.com/default.aspx

But at $900-2500 they're not cheap....

viper.51
08-02-2012, 17:30
Walker gameear III is very nice option for that and also has amplification so you can hear close conversations as well. They are a bit pricey as well but fit into your ear just like a hearing aid.

Air.177
08-02-2012, 19:45
I recently used a set of Peltor Comtac IV's at jrtc. I like the open air design of the 4's, but a few potential issues came to light over a couple weeks:
-The earbud tips are quite easily lost, rendering the earpro inop.
-donning/removing a helmet every time you enter/exit a vehicle is a pain in the ass.
-time, these take a lot longer to put into action than ordinary style peltors.
-eliminate "double protection" capability

But, they do offer quite good hearing protection, and he ambient sound capabilities of peltors with much reduced bulk and heat, and despite a slight amount of bleedover (right comm input heard in left ear & vice versa) their communications capabilities are very useable.

I can't get a linc since I'm on my phone but just google comtac 4.

Good times,
Blake

MackallResident
08-03-2012, 10:55
This may not help at all, but these are what I use:
http://www.velocitysquaredstore.com/flight-gear-electronics-c-2_23.html?zenid=5aead35e3bc07645fff304bbfede12f3

I am not sure if they could possibly make them to adapt to whatever electronic setup you have, but at the very least least I imagine they could make them with a pressure valve(not sure what it would be called, diaphragm maybe?). I had mine made a few months ago and as far as I am concerned, the molded earplug route is a good way to go.

Granted, my job(in a UH-60 daily) doesn't have the concussion type noise that firing weapons do, but the aircraft keeps a pretty constant +100db noise level with at least one main engine running(inside the cockpit).

I would definitely say that hearing protection is pivotal though, because as mentioned above, it never come back. Once the celia(sp?) in the inner is damaged, its like running over a tomato plant with a tractor and trying to get it to stand back up afterwards, it just isn't going to happen.

B_2XLT
12-12-2012, 11:25
Enter coupon code "121212" during checkout to apply the discount coupon code. This coupon code is valid through Dec 13, 2012 and available for website purchases only.

http://www.tacticalcommandstore.com/index.aspx?dc=121212

556 Shooter
01-04-2013, 16:55
Has anyone used the Howard Leight Impact Sport Electronic Earmuffs?

mdpatterson
12-03-2014, 06:33
It's time for me to get both a new aviation headset and muffs for shooting. Thought I might try and get something that fills both roles as I value my hearing and sucks dropping cash on two items if one will fit the bill. I've worn all kinds of aviation headsets and prefer fitted earmolds that connect to the boom for lightweight comfort, but clarity takes a hit and I usually end up breaking something on them because the noise canceling ones are pretty expensive and not very durable.

I used ear molds in conjunction with various cheap muffs for shooting until I tried out some electronic ones and no going back after that. Now I'm stuck buying two sets of expensive headsets for two different needs but thought I would seek some advise here before I decide what to buy.

I'm open to all suggestions (There are most likely many options out there that I'm not aware of because they don't market them as aviation). Here is a short list of what I'm looking for not in specific order:

1) Comfort is high on the list as they are used a lot.
2) Same note as comfort, low profile preferred to take up less space and be lighter. 3) Something that does well in the heat. Ear gells are great, but I remember an old set of David Clark's I had with ear gels that were huge and the real memory was the sweat pouring down my face on those AZ summer flights in a POS AC heading into the sun. (That's why I prefer earmolds for comfort, but will sacrifice for a muff type again if they compensate in other areas).
4) Two way communication is obviously required (Doubt I'll ever have the need to use them with portable radios, but having the capability is always nice) so they would need to have standard aviation plugs or at least an adaptor.
5) Good boom is a must and noise canceling a plus.
6) Not planning on wearing a helmet (Unless the FAA comes out with another genius rule) with them so even though I prefer a lightweight or low profile, it has nothing to do with helmet compatibility.
7) More options the better. If I can hook up a phone or music player to them, it would be an added bonus.

That's about it. I fly a relatively quiet jet, so hearing protection would be mostly a concern when shooting. I'll end up buying an expensive set of Peltors or similar with no comm ability and a separate set for aviation again unless anyone has any suggestions. I don't need anything tactical (I have tons of camo wrap, so everything I own can be converted to tacticool in seconds :p). I actually like camo stuff, but mine must all be faulty because people still see it somehow:confused:.

Appreciate any info if such a creature even exists.

Thanks,

Mike

The Reaper
12-03-2014, 09:27
I have been very happy with my MSA Sordin ear pro.

They have versions with multiple jacks for input as well as provisions for a mic.

The sound amplification and noise reduction is very good for that type of headset.

They seem to be durable enough for guys on tactical vehicles and out in the field.

They are not cheap though.

Hope that helps.

TR

DJ Urbanovsky
12-03-2014, 10:13
I have owned Peltors, and you could not pay me to own another pair of those. Nothing but problems.

MSA/Sordins all the way. I love mine and have never had an issue with them. Good for outside for short barreled 5.56 and .308. For indoors, I would double up and also wear plugs. But you really want to do that with any muffs.

Do the Sordins cost more? Yep. But what's your hearing worth? Once you've damaged your hearing, that's it. I wish that as a younger man, I had been more diligent about protecting my ears. Now, tinnitus.

:mad:

mdpatterson
12-03-2014, 19:49
Cost is not really an issue as it is a required item for my job. If I can enjoy it outside of work, that's a huge bonus.

Thanks again for the input on the sordins. I've been looking at the various models and reviews. The neckband version seem like they would be more comfortable for long durations and practical (Wear under a hat or whatever) but some reviews complained they didn't provide a good seal. Did anyone have experience or input on the neckband Vs. the regular headband? I plan to use foam plugs with them when shooting indoors regardless and most likely when shooting anything not suppressed.

Thanks again,

Mike

mdpatterson
02-12-2015, 06:27
Thanks again for the responses. I went through SRS and they helped me pick the model specific to my needs. Paid a little more through them than ebay or Amazon, but well worth it for the advice and warranty (Not to mention the fact they are not going to be a Chinese knockoff).

Mike

JJ_BPK
02-12-2015, 06:30
Thanks again for the responses. I went through SRS and they helped me pick the model specific to my needs. Paid a little more through them than ebay or Amazon, but well worth it for the advice and warranty (Not to mention the fact they are not going to be a Chinese knockoff).

Mike

What model did you go for??

mdpatterson
02-12-2015, 10:52
Got the gel ear seal kit with them in green as I didn't think I would need the multicam version and the black are more expensive for some reason. Only a bit more than the supreme pro IV and come with a five year warranty. That alone was worth the $30 extra. They'll be used primarily for shooting, but they do have an aviation upgrade if I ever decided to go that route. I used custom plugs with the volume up and they work great indoors. Very comfortable and could easily wear all day. Decided to try and see how they work with a telex 5x5 in ear with boom underneath and besides breaking the seal slightly they work with that too. Overall, they are exactly what I was looking for.