PDA

View Full Version : Need some input on opportunity

Sierra Bravo
03-10-2010, 22:49
I need some advice regarding the following:

I am re-enlisting (USAR) and have a choice of 37F (TacPsyop) or an Intel Mos.

which MOS would be more suitable to transferring to a future SF slot ? (group / Battalion etc.)

I missed the age cutoff for ODA's :(

any positive input would be greatly appreciated

SF-TX
03-11-2010, 08:12
I missed the age cutoff for ODA's :(

What age cutoff would that be? The only age requirement I am aware of is for Airborne school, and that is waiverable.

Martinjmpr
03-11-2010, 11:40
IIRC CA/Psyop units are a part of USASOC but I don't know of any Psyop MOSs that are organic to SF units, at least not at the BN level (only level I served at.)

I can tell you, though, there are lots of MI slots at both BN and Group level. They've changed all the MOS numbers now, so check with your recruiter to find out which is which, but when I was in there were 96Bs (all source analysts) and 96ds (Imagery Interpreters) in the Battalion MI Det, as well as 97B (Counter-intel agents.) The SOT-B and SOT-A teams had 98C (SIGINT Analysts), 98H (Morse code interceptors) and 98G (voice interceptors) and the 98Gs and Hs would actually go into the field, often with an SFODA but sometimes by themselves. I believe the SOT-A slots were even V-Coded (Ranger Parachutist) so they could get Ranger school as part of their MOS Qualification.

I was a 96B in the BN MID in both 3rd and 19th groups.

Hope that helps.

Sierra Bravo
03-12-2010, 11:06
SF-TX , thanks for the input , apparently I need to find a recruiter that is well versed on the SF side.

MJ - thanks for the info, I was leaning in that direction Still interested in what other types of schools might be available, not that I'm a school junkie but would like to know I am a valuable asset instead of hindrance.

Don
03-12-2010, 11:16
SF-TX , thanks for the input , apparently I need to find a recruiter that is well versed on the SF side.

MJ - thanks for the info, I was leaning in that direction Still interested in what other types of schools might be available, not that I'm a school junkie but would like to know I am a valuable asset instead of hindrance.

Keep in mind...95% of the CA/PO force is reserves...if that is what you are looking at...USACAPOC has been divorced from USASOC for a couple of years. I do not know the command relationships with the AC CA PO guys.

FWIW...that info is about 8 months old...and what I think I know of the situation. I have been known to be waaaaay off base:D

Sierra Bravo
03-12-2010, 13:44
Keep in mind...95% of the CA/PO force is reserves...if that is what you are looking at...USACAPOC has been divorced from USASOC for a couple of years. I do not know the command relationships with the AC CA PO guys.

FWIW...that info is about 8 months old...and what I think I know of the situation. I have been known to be waaaaay off base:D

Don

Thanks for the info

I'm a point now where that is looking less attractive (other than School Opps)
and leaning strongly towards the NGSF side:cool:

Green Light
03-12-2010, 16:54

For decades, the Army didn't care about CA and Psyops. I think they let us have them because they thought that they were a waste of time. Then when they figure out that they are worth their weight in platinum . . . HOLY COW! We (the Army) need to get our hands on those guys! It's a shame that they're not part of the community any more.

Stras
03-12-2010, 18:13
For decades, the Army didn't care about CA and Psyops. I think they let us have them because they thought that they were a waste of time. Then when they figure out that they are worth their weight in platinum . . . HOLY COW! We (the Army) need to get our hands on those guys! It's a shame that they're not part of the community any more.

Green Light, I disagree with you.

It's been soooooo wonderful that we lost USACAPOC to the Regular Army. We no longer have the headaches of trying to deploy reservists who don't want to go to different countries.

Having been here at USASOC when we threw them out of the building, it's been a breath of fresh air ever since.

jatx
03-12-2010, 18:20
Look into 35M. 35L is not an option for someone without an existing intel MOS, but 35M is the natural feeder.

ETA: Don't worry about schools. An ARNG SF unit can keep you in schools pretty much full-time between deployments if that's what you want. You'll find that out if/when the time comes.

Green Light
03-13-2010, 16:45
Green Light, I disagree with you.

It's been soooooo wonderful that we lost USACAPOC to the Regular Army. We no longer have the headaches of trying to deploy reservists who don't want to go to different countries.

Having been here at USASOC when we threw them out of the building, it's been a breath of fresh air ever since.

Times change. Always had great relationships with 4th POG and 96th CA. I guess the difference was they were AD. We never worked with the reserve side. That's obviously a different critter.

Sierra Bravo
03-14-2010, 13:43
Thanks everyone for all the insight!

The details provided have helped greatly in steering me to a decision.

I am setting my sights on NGSF , aiming for the Intel side of the house.

have my list of POC's and will be door knocking starting Monday :lifter

Thanks again!

Stras
03-14-2010, 15:38
Times change. Always had great relationships with 4th POG and 96th CA. I guess the difference was they were AD. We never worked with the reserve side. That's obviously a different critter.

Completely different between Active Duty and Reserve CA and PSYOP units.

Though at times I have slight discussions with both 4th POG and 95th CA. Sometimes they like to think they can play in the same arena as those with long tabs.

Martinjmpr
03-15-2010, 09:08
Ah, I didn't realize that CAPOC had been separated from USASOC. Must have happened after I left active duty in 96.

I'll say this, though: When I was in Afghanistan, the CA and Psyop guys spent as much time "outside the wire" as the ODA guys, maybe even more than some. They were always busy.