PDA

View Full Version : Save the Montagnard People 02/09 News Letter

Doc Pollard
03-05-2010, 16:32
The February 2009 Save The Montagnard People News Letter

February 2009 -

Global warming missed North Carolina this winter. And winter isn’t over yet in Asheboro. This is mentioned because our membership is spread out all over the United States and three other continents. It may be warm where you are, but not at the site. Even with the cold quite a bit has been happening. STMP is a 52 week of the year operation, not just a Memorial Weekend meeting. Since the last newsletter, we’ve been busy.

Delegations from STMP have made several more trips to Washington to try and get the State Department to become active in the refugee causes. There have been smiles, handshakes and promises. So far there has been no action. Of course we’ll keep trying.

Once again, donated Christmas presents were given to children, only this year they were given out at the Longhouse. In addition to toys, there were cookies, candy and lunch. AND as usual, there was enough for everyone.

The old shed near the picnic pavilion has been burned. IT was full of termintes right up to the roof rafters. We had hoped to save some of the wood for other projects but the termites had beaten us to it. We had been using this building to store donated items and everything useable was given to the Montagnards for their use. SO, please remember we no longer have storage for clothing, furniture, etc. When a new group of Dega arrives, we’ll collect what is needed and give it out quickly. Please hold on to your donations until we ask.

Delegations from Special Forces at Fort Bragg have made several trips to the site. They came to talk to STMP and the Montagnard leadership, see the longhouse and get a good meal. On one visit, the presented certificates of appreciation to Dega who had fought in Vietnam. All in all - a beautiful ceremony!

A road trip (one of many) was made to our computer wizard and collector in Northern New Jersey. Snow, sleet and a blown tire made for a WONDERFUL trip. The twenty-two computers which he has refurbished made the trip worthwhile. Over the years, this member has collected and process over 150 (maybe 200) computer which have been given to Dega families and many of the children use them in the Head Start program.

At the October Board meeting, it was mentioned that both the Special Operations Association and the Mike Force Association were planning memorial sites. The Board expressed a willingness to have either or both of these Memorials on our land. IT was felt that this would be a win-win situation. Since many of our members belong to one or both of these organizations, your opinions would be appreciated.

These memorials were only a few of the thoughts on future land use. Currently, the 100 acres have the picnic pavilion complete with bathrooms, shower, kitchen area and stage. There is an old farm house which as served as a home for various Montagnard families ever since we purchased the farm. The farm house has its own new well, new wiring and a new roof. There is now a new 4-tractor shed, a new work shop building, a 500-600 car grass parking lot -- and acres of cultivated land. There is a Dega cemetery and one VERY large completed long house. A second longhouse is planned for this year. Several hundred fruit trees have been planted and a new chicken coop is up.

It’s really good to remember that all of this has been done from scratch in less than eight years. When we purchased the land, it was an abandoned farm. It has been laying fallow for maybe twenty years and all the buildings were near collapse. The well was poisoned and the fields were overgrown. In the eight years, everything that has been accomplished has been done by volunteers - and many were Montagnards. The materials and equipment used are all paid for. We have no bills. We have no loans. None of this would have been possible without the donations many of you have made. Some people donate time and that is as important as money. They both work together.

As a guess, and only a guess, STMP has spent about $500,000 on land and materials to have what we now have. Remember that is in only EIGHT YEARS - and does not count the money spent on Montagnard assistance, scholarships, or many other expenses such as printing and postage. So, as you can see, we have met challenges before. Now we have another one facing us - CULTURAL CENTER.

The Cultural Center is needed to preserve the culture of the Dega people. That need to preserve was the original reason for our founding. There is not going to be a Montagnard Cultural Center in the SRV. There won’t even be a Montagnard culture there soon. The largest group of free Dega is in the central North Carolina area. They are the reservoirs of their culture and they hope to be able to share it. Those in SRV cannot. It seems to be more sensible to have the Cultural Center somewhere near the majority of Dega.

This central North Carolina area used to be a farming, mill and furniture production area. All three of these industries have fallen on hard times in recent years. Drive around and you can’t help notice this. Randolph County (where Asheboro is located), has worked hard to attract tourists to fill the gaps. The county has expressed great enthusiasm about having the Cultural Center in the area.

alright4u
03-06-2010, 09:16
Thanks for the update. I read an email a few days ago from one of the old hands, who is in the DC area. It is sad to hear that so many of the yards are out of work now.

I was talking to two great retired SF senior NCO's yesterday, and; all of us were thinking about the yards. We need to help them through this hard time is what we discussed.

I was shocked when the news in Nashville reported- "1 in 6 TN people are on food stamps."The new yard arrivals have nothing.

Doc Pollard
03-06-2010, 20:54
Thanks for the update. I read an email a few days ago from one of the old hands, who is in the DC area. It is sad to hear that so many of the yards are out of work now.

I was talking to two great retired SF senior NCO's yesterday, and; all of us were thinking about the yards. We need to help them through this hard time is what we discussed.

I was shocked when the news in Nashville reported- "1 in 6 TN people are on food stamps."The new yard arrivals have nothing.

Save The Montagnard People and the Montagnard-Dega Association really do a good job in getting folks set up when they arrive. However, with a population close to 9000 in the greater NC area it's a tough job. There are a ton of ways to help and anyone whom is interested can feel free to PM me and I will direct them to the right folks (depending on where your interest in helping lies: medical, financial, logistics etc)

I'll be posting more information shortly but here is a short save the date:

Memorial Day picnic at the Montagnard Farm is on May 30th.

No better way to see what is up than to be there yourself!